Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > What's the deal with Beta Software?

What's the deal with Beta Software?
Miniryu
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2002, 03:57 AM

So what's the deal with beta software? Don't they test this crap before they put it out?! You would think that they are giving it to use to work out all of the bugs.

I'm serious here. I always download beta stuff cuz it has cool new features but the stupid POS always crashes on me or deletes my data!!!!

They really need to put warnings on crappy beta software that has not been tested yet. This whole iSync junk was a mess.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2002, 03:59 AM

That�s why it�s called Beta, it�s not final yet, hence can cause major damage.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

WSKCONDOR
Oct 1, 2002, 04:40 AM

Um, yes, that is the DEFINITION of 'BETA". In fact, they DO make a statement to the effect that it coudl cause major damage and you need to backup important files, etc. etc.

But the REAL problem is that Apple (Steve himself) siad in July taht we would have iSync by September. He didn't say, "maybe I can shoot you a BETA in the last days of September". which is what happened.

I still prefer to get the BETA and play with it earlier rather than later, but it causes some people (witness this thread ) confusion and angst. They also need to make the BETA-to-FINAL transition smooth which actually adds work to the whole team.

I couldnot get the thing to work for about 6 hours, but finally did. Doing the "delete all calendars except one", and syncing to .mac. The rest of the stuff followed. Now I have the following items all with the same, sync'ed information:

Sony CLIE NR-70V
iPOD
iBook 600
iMac 15"LCD

It's nice.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2002, 07:02 AM

Originally posted by Miniryu:
They really need to put warnings on crappy beta software that has not been tested yet. This whole iSync junk was a mess.

its been said:

THEY DO.

JLL
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2002, 07:40 AM

So what's the deal with beta software? Don't they test this crap before they put it out?! You would think that they are giving it to use to work out all of the bugs.

I'm serious here. I always download beta stuff cuz it has cool new features but the stupid POS always crashes on me or deletes my data!!!!

From Apple:

"iSync Public Beta release is not final production software. Because you may encounter errors with the software, Apple recommends that you backup your calendar and Address Book data before using the iSync Public Beta. Apple also recommends that all customers read the Release Notes before using iSync Public Beta for the first time. Palm users should read the Release Notes to understand features that are not supported in iSync at this time."
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2002, 09:48 AM

You would think that they are giving it to use to work out all of the bugs.

Yes, you WOULD think. In fact, that is the idea. Some people out there are willing to take the risk of running potentially crashy software for the very purpose of helping to detect and eliminate bugs. If you're running any beta software that has a repeatable bug, report it to the developers, so that when the NON-beta version is released, the bug is squished.

That's pretty much why beta software is released by developers to the public. The warning is implicit in the word BETA.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2002, 09:52 AM

So what's the deal with beta software?
Am I the only one who thinks Miniryu was being sarcastic to make a point about all the assinine whining on these fora?
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2002, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by DigitalEl:

Am I the only one who thinks Miniryu was being sarcastic to make a point about all the assinine whining on these fora?
Could be. did I get suckered in?

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2002, 10:05 AM

Isn't Windows Beta software?

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2002, 11:58 PM

Originally posted by DigitalEl:

BING BING BING BING! And the leather sofa goes to DigitalEL.

I guess I shouldn't use the word "serious" in a sarcastic statement. A simple "WTF is up with Beta software; it always crashes on me" would have been more direct.

That statement about Windows being beta software saved the thread- funny stuff.

My website

Subzero Diesel949
Oct 2, 2002, 01:59 AM

But what would MacNN be if there was no asinine drivel to read?

Wevah
Senior User
Oct 2, 2002, 05:10 AM

Useful?

;x

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2002, 12:39 PM

**GASP**

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2002, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by Wevah:
Useful?

;x
Try checking out the asinine drivel-less message boards over at the Support section on Apple's website; see how "useful" that forum is.

My website

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2002, 10:54 PM

I guess I shouldn't use the word "serious" in a sarcastic statement. A simple "WTF is up with Beta software; it always crashes on me" would have been more direct....
True. My spidey sarcasm sense was tingling when i read the first sentence, but i decided that it was regular old mindless bitching after all when I read the "serious" bit.
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

Forum Links
Forum Rules