Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Default permissions question

Default permissions question
kman42
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2002, 12:47 PM

I have a question about how default permissions are set for new files. I have a folder setup for limewire downloads that is owned by me and has group staff with read/write permissions. I set it up this way so that both my wife and I would have access to the downloaded files. When I download a new file from limewire it gets created with me as the owner and wheel as group. Since my wife is not in the wheel group, she doesn't have access to it.

Is there any way around this other than putting her in wheel (making her an admin). Can you set it so that new files will have the permissions of the enclosing folder?

I have the same problem with iTunes. We share a music folder, but any songs that I rip, she can't edit the ID3 tags and viceversa.

thanks!
kman

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2002, 02:10 PM

A couple other ideas that I'm not sure how to implement.

Would it be possible to make an Applescript for a Folder Action to change the group on new files automatically?

Is it possible to change which of my groups is assigned to new files by default? Can I make it use Staff for new files instead of Wheel?

kman

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2002, 04:08 PM

Strange. All the files that I have made are in the Staff group by default. There must be some way of changing which group new files belong too, but I couldn't tell you what it is.
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

philm
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2002, 04:35 PM

You have rather more flexibility with this sort of thing with the Sharepoints utility (see Versiontracker). However, it is very disappointing that this sort of basic feature requires a third party utility. This was comparatively simple in OS9 and a feature which many people would like (I guess).

Phil

Forum Links
Forum Rules