Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > An automatic logout after 10 minutes?

An automatic logout after 10 minutes?
Amorya
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2002, 09:05 AM

I want an app that automatically logs out after 10 minutes (or other time). It needs to apply to all users on the computer, and not let anyone disable it.

I found this on versiontracker, but it seems to me that people would just disable the screensaver. I do need it to apply to admin users too (a matter of politics. They need to feel in control.)

It'd be nice if it put up a dialog saying something like "You will be logged out in 30 seconds" and had it count down, too.

Anyone know of (or want to write) anything like this?

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2002, 11:37 AM

What, are you a control freak or something? :-]

Seriously, what situation are you using the computer for that you'd use something like this?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2002, 12:20 PM

You could write something that would automatically triggered a logout- but you can't force one.

The OS is more forgiving than you may like:

e.g. if a logout happens and there are unsaved documents open then the user will have the option to save those documents.

If they choose not to save any doc. or not answer the saving sheet then the log-out will be cancelled.

Amorya  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2002, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
What, are you a control freak or something? :-]

Seriously, what situation are you using the computer for that you'd use something like this?
Oops, I wasn't clear. I meant 10 minutes of inactivity. It's to stop people leaving the terminals logged on and leaving the room.

It's for in a computer lab at a school. The heads of department are admin users, 'cos they want to be not 'cos they need the features. That's why I need it to apply to all users.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 17, 2002, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
You could write something that would automatically triggered a logout- but you can't force one.

The OS is more forgiving than you may like:

e.g. if a logout happens and there are unsaved documents open then the user will have the option to save those documents.

If they choose not to save any doc. or not answer the saving sheet then the log-out will be cancelled.
Sure you can, it's not necessarily pretty, but if you kill the Window Manager, the user will be logged out immediately, no if's and's or but's
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

Dace
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2002, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by Mactoid:
Sure you can, it's not necessarily pretty, but if you kill the Window Manager, the user will be logged out immediately, no if's and's or but's
I think this a great idea too. I'm use to Mac OS not asking me if I really want to shutdown or restart or log out...what am I? A Windows user? Of course I'm sure, that is why I selected it! I hate this in Windows OS...where if you drag something to the "recycling bin"(how PC) it asks you if you are sure you want to put in there...same thing for emptying it. Why did Apple implement this feature in OS X?? To make Switchers feel at home? I'd like to be able to turn it off, or have it give me a minute or so to change my mind

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Apr 25, 2003, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by Dace:
I think this a great idea too. I'm use to Mac OS not asking me if I really want to shutdown or restart or log out...what am I? A Windows user? Of course I'm sure, that is why I selected it! I hate this in Windows OS...where if you drag something to the "recycling bin"(how PC) it asks you if you are sure you want to put in there...same thing for emptying it. Why did Apple implement this feature in OS X?? To make Switchers feel at home? I'd like to be able to turn it off, or have it give me a minute or so to change my mind
The Logout screensaver module is currently the only way to get your OS 10.2 machines to logout on after a set amount of inactivity b/c the screensaver is the only hook in the current Mac OS to be able to detect user inactivity. The user is logged out by killing the WindowManager as suggested above. There is no "confirm save dialog" every process on the machine is simply killed outright. IOW, 10 min would be A VERY BAD cap to place on user idle processes.

Example:
User gets up and goes to the bathroom only to find his/her thesis gone and machine logged out on return.

At minimum you'll need a sign or custom desktop picture noting the automatic logout on your lab machines. Better yet, set the idle time to AT LEAST 20-30 min.

To resolve the issue of users modifying the screensaver, just set it and forget it by moving the ScreenSaver.prefPane module in the root /Library/PreferencePanes directory into your administrator's ~/Library/PreferencePanes directory. IOW: admin's can change screensaver's, guests cannot.

BTW... the confirmations for Restart, Shutdown, Logout were added due to user feedback - they were NOT present pre-Jaquar. If you don't like them, just hold down option when you click them. Amazing... no more confirmation!

Speed

Forum Links
Forum Rules