Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Wireless network with BT broadband

Wireless network with BT broadband
philm
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2005, 03:20 PM

I have been asked by my boss to help him set up a wireless network in his home. I did this at my house from my cable TV set-top box easily enough as it has a ethernet port.

He subscribes to ADSL broadband from BT and I believe that he has a USB modem for this. I have searched the web and I think that he must replace this with a suitable ADSL ethernet modem (actually, I believe that the term 'modem' is not strictly correct here, but you know what I mean.

Then, I can add an Apple Base Station to this ethernet modem and run wired or wireless Macs from there.

As far as I am aware there is nothing special about the BT service.

I would be very grateful for any input. Cheers.

swichd
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2005, 11:00 PM

What's BT? At first I thought it was Bluetooth, but I guess not. ADSL might be PPPoE or PPPoA, so make sure your router supports the required authentication mode. You should ask the DSL provider about this.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]"Microsoft Products are Generally Bug Free"
-- Bill Gates[/FONT]

philm  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2005, 05:14 AM

BT is the former British Telecom which has 40% of the market share for ADSL broadband access in the UK - it's the service provider in other words. If I get a modem which they recommend (provided it is an ethernet rather than a USB version), I presume that an Airport Base Station will just work? Thanks.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2005, 02:59 PM

Yup, you want an ethernet modem (and yes, it does still modulate and demodulate on DSL). Once it's ethernet, an Airport Express or Extreme or 3rd party router will handle it from there.

philm  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2005, 04:42 PM

Thanks for that. I have struggled to find this sort of 'straight' answer out there on the web. Much appreciated.

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2005, 05:54 PM

Indeed, and ADSL modem/router is what is required. I've been happy with my Netgear, easy to install, setup and looks good too. You could of course get a wireless device so you can connect to it both wireless and via Ethernet if so required.

philm  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2005, 05:57 PM

Well, the plan is currently to get a XBridgeDSL modem and hook up an Airport Base Station to that. There might be cheaper approaches than this, but I understand that the XBridgeDSL comes pre-configured for BT, and it also is supplied by the AppleStore which gives me some confidence. I have always found the Apple base stations easy to set up, too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules