Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > MobileMe?

MobileMe?
freudling
Banned
Jun 11, 2008, 12:45 PM

Is anyone else as excited about MobileMe as me?

Hopefully the USB sync cable stays in the drawer longer with the new service.

This Old Mac � MobileMe: Revolution Apple Style

kman42
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2008, 01:00 PM

Totally stoked. Better than 3G or GPS, as far as I'm concerned.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2008, 01:04 PM

When I first heard about it and the details were sketchy no. I thought I was going to lose my .mac email address and be forced onto another email account but now seeing what Apple is bring to the table. Yes and I'm eagerly waiting for its arrival

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2008, 01:08 PM

Why no sign of the version 2 update yet? Its out today right??
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2008, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by richwig83 View Post
Why no sign of the version 2 update yet? Its out today right??
If you're talking about the iPhone/iPod touch software v2.0, then no, it's not out yet and isn't expected until early July according to Steve.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2008, 01:50 PM

My wife is practically bonkers over the idea. She's been jealous of my push e-mail for a long time. I think it was a fairly valid complaint that Yahoo! Push E-mail was available but .mac push was not.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2008, 02:26 PM

I honestly don't get it.

Push email vs pull seems sort of pointless when you have an unlimited data plan. I can certainly understand the efficiencies of push (in fact the company I work for offers a mail product for cellphones that includes push), but as a consumer the difference is pretty negligible aside from data charges.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Arkham_c View Post
I honestly don't get it.

Push email vs pull seems sort of pointless when you have an unlimited data plan. I can certainly understand the efficiencies of push (in fact the company I work for offers a mail product for cellphones that includes push), but as a consumer the difference is pretty negligible aside from data charges.
Check out the MobileMe walkthrough video on Apple.com (if you haven't already). Push is really nice when it works with things like photos, calendars, etc. Push email is just one part of MobileMe.

kman42
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2008, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Arkham_c View Post
I honestly don't get it.

You're right, most people don't need push email. Not even the business people that have made RIM what it is. Very little of what anyone does can't be delayed by 10-15 minutes. And if you are engaged in a billion-dollar deal that depends on rapid exchanges of information right this very second, then pick up the phone or press refresh to check your email. It's amazing that any business ever got done ten years ago.

Now, push contacts and push calendars are a different story. This is really more about proper syncing than pushing. It is quite infuriating to have to dock the iPhone and perform a rather lengthy sync just to keep the calendar and address book up to date on your phone and your (multiple) computers.

Although push email is the business buzz word of the last few years, proper information syncing is the real killer app and MobileMe provides it.

kman

realgeeky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2008, 04:18 PM

What I don't see the answer for is: Will mobile me functionality work with iCal, Address book and other functionality in the already established desktop applications, or will I have to use the web 2.0 stuff just to do everything? Every image I've seen shows a web browser to test the functionality, not the established desktop apps.

kman42
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2008, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by realgeeky View Post
What I don't see the answer for is: Will mobile me functionality work with iCal, Address book and other functionality in the already established desktop applications, or will I have to use the web 2.0 stuff just to do everything? Every image I've seen shows a web browser to test the functionality, not the established desktop apps.
Go to the apple website and read up on MobileMe. It will work with all of the mac apps you would expect it to and it will work with Outlook on a PC.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2008, 04:22 PM

I just think the name is goofy.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

realgeeky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2008, 04:23 PM

Ah I see it now. When I read about mobile me it was right after it was announced and it made no mention about non iphone / web applications.

Thanks

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 04:47 PM

The web apps seems to be a clever way of not actually developing these apps (e.g., ical) for windows while still letting windows users use them.

realgeeky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2008, 04:55 PM

well considering the keynote was largely and entirely iPhone related, I suppose that would be a reason they didn't show the mac side of it all working. I would think it would be impressive to add an iCal entry and then see it in your iPhone.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2008, 08:21 PM

Mini Me ?

Stupid name.

-t

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2008, 08:58 PM

It could be worse.

It could be ...

Moby Me.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

alligator
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2008, 10:16 PM

I'm excited for it, but I already had my iPhone set to check mail at the most frequent interval. I don't get that many messages every day that I need them instantly. I am excited for 3G, and I am excited that I can easily keep everything I own in sync. I just hope the online apps work as well as I expect them to. This means I can store my files on a server, and pull up a document from "home" when I'm at work!

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2008, 10:24 PM

Here's a highly relevant article about web-apps and mobileme: SproutCore: Cocoa for the Web.

Yeah, I hate the name too. I would have gone with mac.com but oh well.

me.com does sound kind of "social network-y" and "hip."

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2008, 08:55 PM

Apple is doing all sorts of things to bring in Windows converts. All this software for Windows (iTunes, Safari) and MobileMe is what is going to make a lot of people realize all of a sudden that Apple makes some damn good stuff. Which leads many to consider getting a Mac for the total experience. Dropping the .Mac name is going to make adopting more Apple stuff more palatable to many.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2008, 01:44 AM

Ok, I'm going to watch this video demo thing to see why you all are so excited. Right now I don't see that they're doing anything monumental to my .Mac account other than making the name 20 times dumber.

Edit: Ok, I'm watching it. That is kind of cool. I just wish they'd give me a way to synch my iTunes and iPhoto libraries. Now that they're giving us 20Gb, they've actually got the space, but I know the bandwidth would be ridiculous.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2008, 01:56 AM

Alright, I'm sold.

Actually, since I'm already .Mac, I was already sold, but you get my point.

When does it go online?

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2008, 06:53 AM

In anticipation of dumping .Mac when my renewal hits soon, I just moved to Gmail and Picasa instead of .Mac and Web Gallery. I don't expect Picasa integration, but I wonder whether MobileMe will support outside IMAP e-mail or only [email protected] addresses?
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2008, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post
Alright, I'm sold.

Actually, since I'm already .Mac, I was already sold, but you get my point.

When does it go online?
Probably around the same time v2.0 of the iPhone/iPod touch software comes out, as well as the 3G iPhone. So, probably July 11 would be a safe guess.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jun 16, 2008, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by realgeeky View Post
well considering the keynote was largely and entirely iPhone related, I suppose that would be a reason they didn't show the mac side of it all working. I would think it would be impressive to add an iCal entry and then see it in your iPhone.
If I remember right, that is exactly what Phil Schiller demonstrated on stage at the Keynote address.

macrocks
Jun 16, 2008, 11:35 PM

i am for sure getting mobile me because i have three email address so it will be very good to have

raymcm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2008, 12:51 PM

Does it not sync notes ???

cwosigns
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2008, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
The web apps seems to be a clever way of not actually developing these apps (e.g., ical) for windows while still letting windows users use them.
Not really, since MobileMe will work with Outlook 2003 and 2007 on XP or Vista.
Chris
2011 MacBook Air, iPhone 4s, iPad 2

PatentBoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2008, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by DigitalEl View Post
In anticipation of dumping .Mac when my renewal hits soon, I just moved to Gmail and Picasa instead of .Mac and Web Gallery. I don't expect Picasa integration, but I wonder whether MobileMe will support outside IMAP e-mail or only [email protected] addresses?
That is my question, as well. Will my privately hosted email addresses push?

kman42
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2008, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by PatentBoy View Post
That is my question, as well. Will my privately hosted email addresses push?
I don't think MobileMe has anything to do with this issue, unless you are talking about forwarding another email address to MobileMe, in which case it would work the same.

I think the more pertinent question is whether the iPhone Mail client supports push from any IMAP mail server that uses the idle command or whether it is restricted to MobileMe. I'm not even sure if MobileMe is using IMAP idle for its push feature, but given Apple's move toward open standards, I'm hoping it does. I'm not sure if gmail supports IMAP idle either.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2008, 11:53 PM

I was also hoping I could set up my GMail IMAP/SMTP account with MobileMe and keep my @gmail.com address while using the MobileMe portal, like I use Mail.app on my Mac at home. Who the heck likes giving out new addresses? Not I, and unless I can do that, I'm not even considering making the plunge.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jun 19, 2008, 08:20 AM

I tried to do the same thing, but apparently having .Mac/MobileMe check GMail via POP won't work, as GMail requires a SSL connection which MobileMe doesn't support.

The Apple tech support I received suggested setting GMail to auto-forward to MobileMe.

macgeek83
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2008, 12:52 PM

Has anyone reported on what is going to happen to .mac groups?
Does any one use .mac groups?

cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2008, 05:05 PM

Even though I've been .Mac user for a couple of years, it has had its failures...

Homepages and iWeb (whaa??)
.Mac groups would have been cool if everyone I invited didn't complain to me about being forced to make a trial .Mac account.
.Mac email address book..

MobileMe is everything I would have wanted

Yeah, I am so excited!!

macgeek83
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2008, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by cold aspiration View Post
.Mac groups would have been cool if everyone I invited didn't complain to me about being forced to make a trial .Mac account.
I'm with you on that, but I still curious if it's going to carry over.

NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2008, 08:49 AM

Does anyone know if you will be able to have 1 account set up for MobileMe (I already have a .Mac account) and a 2nd work account using Exchange? My work doesn't have any proprietary applications or anything. I would use it mostly for the email and push calendar events

Will my wife and I have to share 1 calendar or would we get/create 2 calendars and be able to read each other's events and submit to each others calendar?
( Last edited by NateEssex; Jun 21, 2008 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Revision of Questions)
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2008, 06:35 AM

I'd assume that Exchange has nothing whatsoever to do with MobileMe, and vice versa.

IOW, there is no reason why you couldn't subscribe to both, either, or neither.

NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2008, 11:19 AM

I went to the Apple Store last night and they didn't have any information. They "thought" that I would have to make my wife an "administrator" to add events to my calendar.

So, would that make us share 1 mac.com/MobileMe account? Would it put all of our contacts into the same database? How would the subscription component of iCal work with it? If I subscribed to her iCal calendar, would her events get pushed to me? I hope they come out with some additional information soon. You would think this is already finalized...

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2008, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by NateEssex View Post
If I subscribed to her iCal calendar, would her events get pushed to me?
I greatly doubt that. Push and subscription are very different things.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2008, 03:03 PM

The feature you are looking for sounds like delegation to me. iCal/Darwin Server does support delegation over LDAP, but I'm doubtful that Apple would have provided an interface for setting up delegation this early on.

NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2008, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
I greatly doubt that. Push and subscription are very different things.
So, any ideas how you could have a husband and wife utilize the MobileMe to push calendar events to each user?

I'm hoping the desire for all that iCal group invite functionality doesn't get lost in the upgrade.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2008, 04:04 PM

Does anyone know if you will be able to have 1 account set up for MobileMe (I already have a .Mac account) and a 2nd work account using Exchange? My work doesn't have any proprietary applications or anything. I would use it mostly for the email and push calendar events
Sure, you can have multiple e-mail accounts.

Will my wife and I have to share 1 calendar or would we get/create 2 calendars and be able to read each other's events and submit to each others calendar?
Depending on what you're trying to do, I'd think you'd want to just have one account and have separate calendars (i.e., the different-colored sub-calendars) within that account.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2008, 03:18 PM

You could also just have your wife send you "invites". When she creates the calendar event she could just "invite" your e-mail address. My wife and I have been doing this for years.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

liviabush
Baninated
dealstudio spammer
Jun 24, 2008, 09:17 PM

Thanks for telling me that.

NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2008, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Sure, you can have multiple e-mail accounts.

Depending on what you're trying to do, I'd think you'd want to just have one account and have separate calendars (i.e., the different-colored sub-calendars) within that account.
That seems to make sense, but what about contacts? Two sets--MobileMe & Exchange?

KeilwerthSX90R
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2008, 12:06 AM

That seems to make sense, but what about contacts? Two sets--MobileMe & Exchange?
Expanding on this, will we be able to have fully functional MobileMe and Exchange on at the same time? Push for both?

I don't see why not but you never know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules