Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > New version of VLC player

New version of VLC player
Curiosity
Senior User
Sep 16, 2008, 04:21 PM

With version 0.9.2 of VLC, the playlists do not work quite as they used to on my Mac. I had to delete the VLC plist file from my user library to get the text to appear in the window of the playlist.
What I would like to know is what is the function of the button with the plus sign at the bottom of the playlist window? The textbox that comes up when I press it asks you to enter the name of a node. I never realized that multimedia players had nodes. What is a node for VLC? What kind of syntax does the name of a node use, and what can you do with a node?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2008, 07:39 AM

It looks like it's just a grouping, like a playlist or a folder. You needn't think too hard about it.

Curiosity  (op)
Senior User
Sep 18, 2008, 02:10 AM

Maybe not, but it bothers me when software changes the function of something and does not explain it. There was nothing in the Help file about that.

vinster
Senior User
Sep 18, 2008, 07:44 PM

The new VLC looks to make major changes to the way codecs work as well. 1080p .mkv's and .mp4's are choppy on my 2GHz Mac mini with 0.9.2. It could be a combination of the extensive graphics changes in OS X 10.5.5 and the new VLC, but going back to version 0.8.6i makes performance acceptable again.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2008, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post
Maybe not, but it bothers me when software changes the function of something and does not explain it. There was nothing in the Help file about that.
If it bothers you so much then join the VLC documentation team

voth
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2008, 11:34 PM

I've noticed recently that when I play videos (not all videos) and use the fast forward button the on the controller the video actually goes backwards.

In addition to this little problem I have also noticed that when I fast forward a video (using the on-screen button as opposed to the controller button) the video becomes pixellated/jumbled when in a previous version (0.8.6) it did not do this.

Cold Warrior
Sep 23, 2008, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by voth View Post
I've noticed recently that when I play videos (not all videos) and use the fast forward button the on the controller the video actually goes backwards.
I've noticed this with some videos but not a majority. I haven't bothered to examine the metadata to consider formats, bit rates, etc. I just chalked it up to differences in them.

The new playlist really bugs me -- how the playlist is collapsed by default, so I drag media into the window then have to expand the playlst. Seems like among all those options, there'd be something for that.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2008, 01:03 AM

VLC is a decent player, but it feels very raw still. I'd like to see more effort in the Mac version. The preferences panel is downright hostile. It's a fine application, but too nerdy for me.

I use it as a back-up player for QT+Perian.. much like I use Firefox as a back-up browser to Safari.

Coincidence? I think not

It took a year to get this version out and I don't notice anything 'new and improved' since last version. Anyone notice a feature added which makes an important difference (in your opinion)
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Forum Links
Forum Rules