Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iCal - How do you edit directly?

iCal - How do you edit directly?
Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2008, 03:24 AM

I am annoyed with the way both Address Book and iCal require you to press an "Edit" button before you can edit a selected entry.

Fortunately in Address Book option-double-clicking an entry will allow you to edit directly. But in iCal the same trick doesn't work.

Is there any trick to edit w/o first having to mouse down to the edit button in iCal? Please tell me there's some hack around this.

zro
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2008, 03:30 AM

After double clicking, you can press the spacebar.

If you just want to change the title, you can press return or enter keys.

If you want to change the time(s), you can drag an event or its start or end times in week and day views.

If you just want to change days, you can drag and drop an event in week or month views.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2008, 04:17 AM

Thanks for the return/enter tip. Works fine. And kind of obvious. Should have noticed that one myself.

Is there any way to edit (edit, not drag, you can only drag in 15 min increments) times directly w/o pressing the edit button?

zro
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2008, 10:48 AM

Command e will open the edit panel. Then it's just a matter of tabbing over to the time.

Or again, with the info panel open, pressing the spacebar key will initiate edit mode.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2008, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by zro View Post
Or again, with the info panel open, pressing the spacebar key will initiate edit mode.
Not here it doesn't. But cmd-e works.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2008, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Not here it doesn't. But cmd-e works.
It does if you have keyboard control enabled in the System Preferences' keyboard prefs.

ph0ust
Senior User
Oct 24, 2008, 06:02 PM

[rant]btw, what the hell is up with apple and using different keyboard commands for editing between ical and address book. edit an ical entry = cmd-e; edit an address book entry = cmd-l.

i hate it when software vendors do that. create a common command nomenclature (e.g. edit=cmd-e (for edit), find=comd-f, etc.)[/rant]

Bill Clarke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2008, 06:25 PM

I really miss the ability to see details about an event in iCal by selecting it. The details used to appear in the sidebar. Now, unless I'm wrong, you have to double-click on an event. It would be great to just hover the cursor over the event. I wonder why they dropped the ability to at least see the event details in the sidebar?

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2008, 12:06 AM

And why do event times print on monthly calendars even when you have them set to not display?
For that matter, why doesn't iCal do WYSIWYG printing? Why does it reorder some of your events in print and on screen?

Sorry to get OT, but I mean, come on...

zro
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2008, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
It does if you have keyboard control enabled in the System Preferences' keyboard prefs.
I've been running with full keyboard access on for so long I'd forgotten all about it. Nice catch.

Forum Links
Forum Rules