Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Spam is getting dumber - post yours!

Spam is getting dumber - post yours!
Thread Tools
mrtew
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: South Detroit
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 26, 2008, 11:15 AM
 
I can't believe how bad spam is getting. I'm wondering if there's someone that could fall for this, or if I'm missing it's true purpose. Has anyone gotten worse spam?

Youwon $2,500,000 from Malaysia SweepstakeContact Mr.Andy Jerry for delivery of your Cheque via,Tel:+60173802875 Your Full names:
Occupation:
Tel:
Sex:
Age:
Country

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.
     
starman
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Union County, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 26, 2008, 11:20 AM
 
I deleted the stuff I got recently, but yeah, it's getting dumb.

However, I'm getting MUCH, MUCH less of it lately.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr
     
Maflynn
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 26, 2008, 11:37 AM
 
Here's one I get from time to time
Hello.

This letter may come to you as a surprise due to the fact that we have not yet met. I have to say that I have no intentions of causing you any pains so i decided to contact you through this medium.

As you read this, I don't want you to feel sorry for me, because, I believe everyone will die someday. My name is Khalid Yussuf, a merchant in Dubai, in the U.A.E. I have been diagnosed with prostate and esophageal Cancer that was discovered very late due to my laxity in caring for my health. It has defiled all form of medicine and right now, I have only about a few months to live according to medical experts.

I have not particularly lived my life so well, as I never really cared for anyone not even myself but my business. Though I am very rich, I was never generous, I was always hostile to people and only focus on my business as that was the only thing I cared for. But now I regret all this as I now know that there is more to life than just wanting to have or make all the money in the world. I believe if i have a second chance to come to this world I would live my life a different way from how I have lived it. Now that I know my time is near, I have willed and given most of my properties and assets to my immediate and extended family members and as well as a few close friends and Schools in the UAE. I have decided to give alms to charity organizations, as I want this to be one of the last good deeds I do on earth. So far, I have distributed money to some charity organizations in the U.A.E, England and Ireland. Now that my health has deteriorated so badly, I cannot do this my self!
any more. I once asked members of

I want you to help me collect this deposit and dispatched it to charity organizations and let them know that it is I Khalid Yussuf that is making this generous donation.

I am writing this from my laptop computer in my hospital bed in England where I wait for my time to come. If you are interested to help me i will give you more information about this like the amount that i deposited in the bank and Contact of the bank so you can contact them. I will also send you pictures of my self when in the hospital.

Note that you will take 20% out of the funds and give 80% to the charity organizations. I pray that God uses you to support and assist me with good heart God be with you.

If you can help respond back to me on my private email: [email protected]


Khalid Yussuf
and another
- Our Ref: FGN /SNT/STB Your Ref. DEAR BENEFICIARY: THIS IS TO OFFICIALLY INFORM YOU THAT WE HAVE VERIFIED YOUR INHERITANCE FILE AND IN RESPECT OF YOUR CONTRACT/INHERITANCE PAYMENTS: $27,000,000,00USD(Twenty Seven US Dollars). RIGHT NOW WE HAVE ARRANGED YOUR PAYMENT THROUGH OUR SWIFT CARD PAYMENT CENTER. THAT IS THE LATEST INSTRUCTION FROM MR.PRESIDENT, UMARU YAR'ADUA (GCFR) FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA AND THE FBI. THIS CARD CENTER WILL SEND YOU AN ATM CARD WHICH YOU WILL USE TO WITHDRAW YOUR MONEY IN ANY ATM MACHINE IN ANY PART OF THE WORLD, BUT THE MAXIMUM IS 5000 USD PER DAY, SO IF YOU LIKE TO RECEIVE YOUR FUND THIS WAY PLEASE LET US KNOW BY CONTACTING THE INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUNDS DEPARTMENT, CARD PAYMENT CENTER. MR PETER HILLS, WITH DETAILS BELOW: MR. PETER HILLS, Email: [email protected] TEL:+234-7027919474 PLEASE SEND THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION: 1. YOUR FULL NAME 2. PHONE AND FAX NUMBER 3. ADDRESS WERE YOU WANT THEM TO SEND THE ATM CARD 4. YOUR AGE AND CURRENT OCCUPATION KINDEST REGARDS, DAVID MARK, SENATE PRESIDENT.
~Mike
     
starman
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Union County, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 26, 2008, 11:39 AM
 
Has anyone tried calling these numbers and go along with the scam (knowing you're scamming them back?)

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 26, 2008, 11:55 AM
 
You know how you can fool people? A certain percentage of the population of people who would fall for something like this may know this is a phishing scam... Do you ever get emails from family members who ask "is this real?" all the time so that you can direct them to a Snopes page? Some people clearly don't know what is real and what isn't real... Why don't these scammers/phishers simply insist that they are for real? Wouldn't that be a pretty persuasive technique? I mean, if certain people rely on others telling them what is real and what isn't, why not the phisher/scammer?

If you wanted to be really sneaky you could make a fake Snopes page too...
     
Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: England | San Francisco
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 26, 2008, 12:07 PM
 
I see tons of spam like this:
Spam is getting dumber - post yours!
we don't have time to stop for gas
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 26, 2008, 12:41 PM
 
Peter: have you ever seen recursive spam, like:

I see tons of spam like this:
Spam is getting dumber - post yours!
     
Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: England | San Francisco
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 26, 2008, 01:18 PM
 
dont think I'd define that as recursive..
we don't have time to stop for gas
     
wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 26, 2008, 02:44 PM
 
My favorite spam said "Your penis will be like a mighty sultan."
     
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Automatic
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 27, 2008, 12:23 PM
 
COCA COLA COMPANY OFFICIAL PRIZE NOTIFICATION Ref: PBL/CN/6654/CP. Coupon No.PBL2348974321


We are pleased to inform you of the result of the just concluded annual final draws held on the 10h Of october 2008 by Coca-Cola company in conjunction with the British American Tobacco Worldwide Promotion.


Your email was among the 4 Lucky winners who won a lump sum of FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND BRITISH POUNDS STERLINGS (500,000.000 ) each on THE COCA COLA COMPANY PROMOTIONS. However the results were released on the 9th of November 2008 and your email was attached to ticket number (CC/7PWYZ2006) and ballot number (CC/BT:12052006/20) The online draws was conducted by a random selection of email addresses from an exclusive list of 29,031 E-mail addresses of individuals and corporate bodies picked by an advanced automated random computer search from the internet. However,


no tickets were sold but all email addresses were assigned to different ticket numbers for representation and privacy. The selection process was carried out through random selection in our computerized email selection machine (TOPAZ) from a database of over 250,000 email addresses drawn from all the continents of the world This Lottery is approved by the British Gaming Board and also Licensed by the International Association of Gaming Regulators (IAGR). in order to claim your prize contact our fiduciary agent:


Lottery Claims Officer: MR. William Smith,



Tel+44-703-1744-497

TelFax: +27-866-038-413


E-mail: [email protected]

(Provide him with the information below:

1.Full Name:

2.Full Address:

3.Marital Status:

4.Occupation:


5.Age:


6.Sex:


7.Nationality:


8.Country Of Residence:


9.Telephone


Number: Congratulations once more from all members and staffs of this program. Congratulations once again On Behalf of the staff And Members Of the COCA COLA COMPANIES and therefore advised you to keep your winning information confidential and restrict from third Party to avoid double or false claims of your winning


Denis Cole


(Lottery Coordinator)
     
Person Man
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Northwest Ohio
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 27, 2008, 01:05 PM
 
I'm reposting this from last year. Chuckit posted an example of a phishing attempt he got and I dissected it.

Originally Posted by Scammer
From: [email protected]
Subject: Good Day To You,My name is Mr.Jang Ji Yoon, a citizen of North Korea
And you have internet access? Wow, you must work for the government because most North Koreans probably don't know what a computer is, let alone the internet.

Originally Posted by Scammer
and I would like you to guide me through the most viable investment opportunities in your Country. Alternatively, I can invest in your line of business perhaps if it’s viable. I am one of the defectors from the North and I am currently residing in South Korea(Refugee Camp).
Well, you probably don't work for the NK government if you're in a refugee camp. But wait, if you're in a refugee camp, HOW DO YOU HAVE INTERNET ACCESS??

Originally Posted by Scammer
I have been in this country for sometime after defecting from the North. I was into currency exchange business and I was always traveling to other parts of Asia and Europe and during that period, I was able to move out my funds and deposit it in a financial institution in Europe.
Uh-huh. And you still live in a refugee camp? Or was this when you were still in North Korea? Wait, it couldn't have been when you were still living in North Korea because people there aren't allowed to travel outside the country.

Originally Posted by Scammer
I want to invest this funds in your country with your help and advice because we are being treated as foreigners here and watched because the Korean government believe we are a security threat,
So they put you into refugee camps and give you internet access. If they're watching you closely, wouldn't the fact that you're sending this message make them watch you even more?

Originally Posted by Scammer
A lot of defectors now go on to Canada or the United States and some parts of Europe to live.
So why haven't you gone to Canada or the United States?

Originally Posted by Scammer
I want you to send me a complete breakdown of the investment opportunities in your country and also let me know what exactly I need to do to enable you invest the funds for me in your country.
Wait. Didn't you say you were in the currency exchange business and traveled extensively? And suddenly you need me to do your grunt work for you? Lazy bum.

Originally Posted by Scammer
If interested,on my freedom, I will then come over to your country after you receive the funds and work out the investment plans with you.
Oh. You're in prison then. I thought you were in a refugee camp.

Originally Posted by Scammer
After I hear from you and find out the best investment opportunity you can introduce to me, I will them tell you how much is involved.
Hmm, can't you give me a hint to make me interested in helping you?

Originally Posted by Scammer
kindly reply as soon as possible Regards and God Bless Mr.Jang Ji Yoon.
Yes. Ok. The check's in the mail. I'll do it right away. Or something like that.

Originally Posted by Scammer
Date: September 13, 2007 8:47:25 PM PDT
Reply-To: [email protected]
Hmm. The From address and the Reply-to address are different. Must be the refugee camp.

Oh yeah. How the heck did you fit your entire message into the Subject line??? That's impressive.
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:38 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,