Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Alert: MS Silverlight piggybacking on Flip4Mac

Alert: MS Silverlight piggybacking on Flip4Mac
wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2009, 07:00 AM

Just a warning to people out there who like to keep up with Flip4Mac releases:

The latest beta (2.3.0.11-BETA) of Flip4Mac, the official WMV components for OS X QuickTime, has Silverlight bundled in the installer and set to install by default. You have to customize your install and disable Silverlight in order to prevent it from being installed. The only mention of this is brief and easy to miss (on the user agreement screen).

If you aren't interested in Silverlight, pay attention when installing Flip4Mac from now on! And leave some feedback if you take issue with this approach to sneaking Silverlight on users' machines.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2009, 08:54 AM

Thank you so much for the heads up.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2009, 02:31 PM

While I have no issues with Silverlight on my machine, I agree that this is a shady move. Unless the viewer absolutely needs it installed, it should still be an option.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 18, 2009, 02:33 PM

It's shady. No doubt MS cut them some type of deal to bundle this.

For me, however, Silverlight is less offensive than flash, though perhaps that just due to how widespread the latter is.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2009, 04:02 PM

^ MS owns Flip4Mac

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 18, 2009, 04:05 PM

I didn't know that. Why the distinction?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 18, 2009, 04:38 PM

Well I need Silverlight for viewing TV catch ups on ITV, so it doesn't bother me, seems quite like Apple popping Safari in Software Update on Windows PCs when all you had previously was iTunes and Quicktime.

Curiosity
Senior User
Sep 19, 2009, 01:59 AM

What is wrong with Silverlight? Does it spy on you or do something nasty?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2009, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
^ MS owns Flip4Mac
No, they don't. But they seem to have made an agreement with Telestream, the creator of Flip4Mac, to distribute the free player version.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2009, 02:12 PM

Weird, I could swear I remember hearing that Microsoft bought them, but I guess I remembered wrong. Oops.

wataru  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2009, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Well I need Silverlight for viewing TV catch ups on ITV, so it doesn't bother me, seems quite like Apple popping Safari in Software Update on Windows PCs when all you had previously was iTunes and Quicktime.
That's great, but if I want to watch something that requires Silverlight then I'll download and install Silverlight.

Yes, Apple has also done similarly shady things; does that mean we should give MS a pass this time?

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2009, 09:52 AM

^What he said. It actually bothered me when Apple tried to sneak Safari into updates of the Windows versions of iTunes/QT. And I didn't use Windows at the time. And now that I use it at work, I've put Safari on it. But I chose to do so.

I actually installed Silverlight on my MacBook for reasons I can't even recall now (I don't have a Netflix membership atm), and its presence doesn't bother me. But that's because I put it there.

P
Sep 23, 2009, 11:16 AM

I guess the lesson is to never ever accept default installations without looking. Everyone sneaks other stuff in, just get used to it.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

rdump
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2009, 02:01 PM

The Flip4Mac 2.3.0.14 installer refers to Silverlight's license during the install (during the usual Installer license splash).

A custom install showed a Silverlight option. However, the checkbox is unchecked on my laptop. Even better, the checkbox is disabled so it can't be turned on. This of course says nothing about whether Silverlight will be slammed onto the machine anyway. It's easy to get the state wrong for a disabled control (BTDT).

After finishing the install with the checkbox disabled, I discovered I'd been given only /Library/QuickTime/Flip4Mac WMV Export.component/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Silverlight/Templates/*/Silverlight.js Looks like no slamming occured.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2009, 02:04 PM

Do you have a PowerPC Mac? If yes, that's why you didn't get it. It's Intel only.
Vandelay Industries

64stang06
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2009, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by rdump View Post
The Flip4Mac 2.3.0.14 installer refers to Silverlight's license during the install (during the usual Installer license splash).

A custom install showed a Silverlight option. However, the checkbox is unchecked on my laptop. Even better, the checkbox is disabled so it can't be turned on. This of course says nothing about whether Silverlight will be slammed onto the machine anyway. It's easy to get the state wrong for a disabled control (BTDT).

After finishing the install with the checkbox disabled, I discovered I'd been given only /Library/QuickTime/Flip4Mac WMV Export.component/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Silverlight/Templates/*/Silverlight.js Looks like no slamming occured.
Yes but the beta versions didn't, and that's what was upsetting. It's nice to see they actually mention it during the installer.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules