Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Bourne Identity - a CIA project?

Bourne Identity - a CIA project?
aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2013, 02:06 AM

Having seen the recent revelations concerning the NSA and their "PRISM" project, it got me thinking about the Bourne Identity series of books and movies.

Was that series of books put out by the CIA and NSA as a form of plausible deniability in case someone started leaking information about their programs? Did they leak the existence of certain programs with fictitious names to make leaks of actual programs in the future less believable?

Think about it for a minute. Would any of you, at the time of the Bourne movies have imagined that the NSA could tap into our internet activity and phone conversations looking for keywords? Didn't it appear to be completely fictitious and implausible? I'm sure many of us had heard about previous leaks about programs like carnivore and had a hard time believing such a thing was possible.

We now know that they did indeed have listening posts around the world like those portrayed in the Bourne movies and we know know that they used special software to mine the voice and internet data for specific keywords.

I find the revelations both frightening and interesting as my work in the private sector involves similar sciences and techniques as those used in the PRISM project. In fact, one of the tools we use was actually written by the CIA originally.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2013, 03:44 AM

The NSA was doing this type of thing in the 90's, and it was publicly, if not widely known.

What's surprising about all this isn't they can do it, it's they're being allowed to do it.

aristotles  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2013, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
The NSA was doing this type of thing in the 90's, and it was publicly, if not widely known.

What's surprising about all this isn't they can do it, it's they're being allowed to do it.
I think you are referring to the rumours about ECHELON and Carnivore at the time. Relatively little was known about those programs and how they operated at the time. Since that time, the science of data analysis has evolved.

The science behind analyzing that much data is a relatively new field of study.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2013, 03:45 PM

We knew enough it was doing a keyword search. IOW, the Bourne stuff, 10 years later, wasn't particularly implausible seeming.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2013, 01:35 PM

Can I interest you in a copy of "Catcher in the Rye?
45/47

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2013, 09:02 AM

Wasn't Bourne a Vietnam vet in the books? Wouldn't surprise me what sorts of programs were going on with Kennedy, Johnson and then Nixon in the White House.

Forum Links
Forum Rules