Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Logic Pro 7 Academic"not eligible for upgrades" sticker on box???

Logic Pro 7 Academic"not eligible for upgrades" sticker on box???
Golden Halo
Mar 7, 2006, 10:27 PM

I just purchased Logic 7.2 (universal) academic and I assume it just says its Academic becuase i got the school discount? Also there is a stick on the box that says Academic and below it, it says Not eligible for upgrades. Why is this? Is it because i paid 499.99 for it instead of 999.99? Has anyone ever seen this sticker before and has anyone been able to upgrade afterwards anyways. Im thinking it could just be to make you think you cant upgrade so you wont even try but if you try you would be able to. Thanks

Rob

dreamryche
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2006, 11:20 PM

Logic uses a hardware key with a unique license code for copy protection. It's entirely possible that the code in the academic version has a flag set to not allow upgrades.

Golden Halo  (op)
Mar 7, 2006, 11:49 PM

ok but why would they not allow you to upgrade, especially when your paying for it?

rparke1
Banned
Mar 7, 2006, 11:53 PM

so that schools dont have to constantly upgrade ALL there computers with said program everytime the program is updated. if the program is unupgradable than less hasle for the schools who use the program.

nuggetman
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2006, 01:51 AM

The academic means that you are not eligible for upgrade pricing on newer versions of the software. It does not mean you cannot move from version 7 to version 8 when it comes out.

For example:

Software 1.0 costs $999 retail, or $499 for an academic version. The academic version is marked not upgradeable.
Jim pays $999 for the retail version, and Jen gets the $499 academic version.

One year later Software 2.0 is released, available for $999 retail, $499 academic, or $299 upgrade for existing users.

Jim, who bought a retail copy, can buy the $299 upgrade version.
Jen can only buy the $499 academic or $999 retail. If she attempts to use the serial number that comes with the $299 upgrade, it will tell her that her academic serial number means she is not eligible for the upgrade.

Get it?

Golden Halo  (op)
Mar 8, 2006, 03:39 AM

Yeah i get that but why, just because im only paing 499.99 now? I think its bullshit. I wantto be able to get 7.3 or whatever other upgrade when it comes out. I know a friend of mine that got Logic 7 with the student discount and he was able to upgrade. Is this a problem because i had my mom buy it under her school?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2006, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Golden Halo
ok but why would they not allow you to upgrade, especially when your paying for it?
Because many companies believe that when your buying the application your in school and you need it for academic reasons. They figure you won't need the newer version when in school and they eventually want you to buy the full product.

Some companies offer upgrades to their academic applications such as adobe but not all.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2006, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Golden Halo
Yeah i get that but why, just because im only paing 499.99 now? I think its bullshit. I wantto be able to get 7.3 or whatever other upgrade when it comes out. I know a friend of mine that got Logic 7 with the student discount and he was able to upgrade. Is this a problem because i had my mom buy it under her school?
You can't have the best of both worlds. If you're going to be buying the upgrade version, then you should have paid full price for Logic. If you want to save $500 and go with the academic version, then you don't get the discount when it comes time to upgrade.

Besides, buying two academic version will likely still be less than buying one retail copy and then an upgrade, so I don't know why you're complaining. Best not to worry about things you can't control.

jyunderwood
Mar 8, 2006, 12:40 PM

Assuming that there is a point release like 7.3 then you will quite possibily be able to upgrade to it if you pay the $20 to $50 CD fee like 7.1 and 7.2.

If version 8 comes out, you're stuck with 7.2 until you pay for either the retail or a new academic license.

Don't think too far in to the future. you have the software now so use it. when version 8 comes out 7.2 won't stop working. Professional musicians still use older version of Logic because most of the time it's not worth the upgrade. It doesn't make them have anymore talent than the last version and it a $1000 they could spend on better things.

Cutting edge isn't always better. I'm still using Photoshop CS and Final Cut Pro 4.5 because CS2 and 5 didn't really offer me anything else I wanted to pay for.
fluid like water.

Golden Halo  (op)
Mar 9, 2006, 03:27 AM

Well said, Thanks for everyones replys.

Nathan Sandland
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2008, 04:45 PM

All good points everybody, but I'm in the middle of dealing with this problem myself and during the heat of this battle I've discovered something that has made my troops even more verile.

It seems that with the Academic version you are not able to actually make any money with it being for "academic" purposes only.

Also with Logic 8 being $499 and the Academic version being only $50 less there isn't really a "savings" but more so a truncation of your abilities for a very minute price difference I don't feel like I've saved any money I just feel as though I've been ripped off. I am trying to return but they are asking for a 15% restocking fee of 67 dollars and being a student I don't have that + I have to go out and buy the full version for even more.

I'm pissed.

I'll tell you guys how it goes.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2008, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Nathan Sandland View Post
All good points everybody, but I'm in the middle of dealing with this problem myself and during the heat of this battle I've discovered something that has made my troops even more verile.

It seems that with the Academic version you are not able to actually make any money with it being for "academic" purposes only.
This is the case with pretty much ALL "academic" versions of software - part of the deal is that they're NOT for professional use, and that they're not upgradeable.

Notable exception is Adobe, who offer a separate "student" and an "academic" version, which *is* usable for professional client work - but is also more than twice the price, IIRC.

One thing to keep in mind to ease the pain WRT Logic is that the Logic Studio bundle is basically five THOUSAND dollars' worth of software and samples, bundled into a five-hundred-dollar package.

Another thing of note is that this thread is two years old and slightly musty already.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2008, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Another thing of note is that this thread is two years old and slightly musty already.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules