Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Tech Support Woes... And An MSN Client Question

Tech Support Woes... And An MSN Client Question
Koralatov
Senior User
Dec 7, 2007, 10:49 PM

Unfortunately, despite many attempts on my part to get out of it, I have been chosen by most of my friends as the go-to guy for PC problems. One of my friends has now (somehow) got her laptop infected with God-only-knows what, and I've been called in to the rescue (read: reinstall). I don't know how she managed it, but a preliminary assessment seems to suggest that she somehow mucked up her AVG installation, and that caused it to stop working. Anyway, that's largely beside the point.

Anyone else in the same undesirable position as I am--getting phone calls when people's PCs stop working? And am I the only one who doesn't enjoy being the one "in the know"?

Also, as I'll be taking an axe to her PC and reinstalling everything from scratch (and setting her up with user account instead of an admin one, as a damage limitation move), I'm planning to move her off MSN/Windows Messenger onto something else. Anyone have any suggestions? I'd like something pretty straight-forward, free and--if at all possible--with iChat-style bubbles or a skinnable so I can get iChat style bubbles. (She was rather taken with the Adium "Modern Bubbling" theme that I use.)

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2007, 08:28 PM

Trillian?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2007, 08:53 PM

Tell her to get a Mac. Or use Trillian if she won't do that.

Koralatov  (op)
Senior User
Dec 9, 2007, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Trillian?
Cheers. I totally forgot that Trillian even existed.

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Tell her to get a Mac. Or use Trillian if she won't do that.
I've tried, many times, to convert her, but she has several friends who assure her that "Macs are pieces of crap". Sadly, she believes them, and no amount of persuasion on my part seems able to sway her. I suspect I'll have to use Trillian...

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2007, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Koralatov View Post
Anyone else in the same undesirable position as I am--getting phone calls when people's PCs stop working?
If she's gonna subject me to two hours of pure hell fixing her Windows crap, then she's going to provide me with two hours of jumping up and down (think Catalina on My Name Is Earl). And a pizza.

A fair trade, I reckon.

Originally Posted by Koralatov
I've tried, many times, to convert her, but she has several friends who assure her that "Macs are pieces of crap".
Either start charging the jiggly fee or tell her to go find help from the several friends who're keeping her on Windows.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules