Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Has FedEx delivered your Panther yet?

Has FedEx delivered your Panther yet?
spiderbyte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2003, 03:11 PM

It's Thursday, 2:15 local and I am waiting for Panther to arrive. I paid the extra $12 for overnight shipping. Since it was alleged to be shipped on Wednesday, I am expecting it.

Has anyone who paid for overnight shipping received their package yet?

//// \\\\ spiderbyte

spiderbyte  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2003, 03:47 PM

Looks like we are all going to get Panther on Friday, whether we paid extra for shipping or selected free shipping.

Anyone else feel screwed out of $12?

//// \\\\ spiderbyte

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2003, 03:57 PM

Give Apple a call. Many other people that paid extra for the overnite shipping got refunded. You should be able to also.

-b

iohead
Oct 23, 2003, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by spiderbyte:
It's Thursday, 2:15 local and I am waiting for Panther to arrive. I paid the extra $12 for overnight shipping. Since it was alleged to be shipped on Wednesday, I am expecting it.

Has anyone who paid for overnight shipping received their package yet?

//// \\\\ spiderbyte
I wonder if they will hold the package until Friday, or something like that.

My Panther was shipped yesterday (Wednesday) morning, from a place that's 110 miles away from where I live. Sure enough, it reached the Bay Area hub in Oakland by night. All incoming FedEX destined for me come to Oakland first, and once a package is in Oakland, it gets to me (Sunnyvale) in a few hours. Well, it's still not here. What's more, the tracking now says the following:

----

Oct 23, 2003 1:56 pm Left FedEx Sort Facility Memphis, TN
12:08 am Arrived at FedEx Ramp Oakland, CA

----

Why in the name of God would it go to Tennessee *after* it's been sitting in Oakland (near my place) for 12 hours?

The comments in the tracking information do say this is a "pre-routed" package, whatever that means. Doesn't look like I will get it today. Maybe it will go to Washington, DC tonight and come back to California tomorrow :-)

-A

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 04:21 PM

Not getting it until Friday before 4:30 pm.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2003, 04:22 PM

Not yet.. the tracking number is NOT even on their database...

sibellc
Oct 23, 2003, 04:29 PM

I placed my order about two weeks ago, with standard shipping since it was advertised as evening delivery on the 24th. I checked my order status a few days ago, and it was listed as Fedex 2 day shipping, which I expected. When it didn't ship yesterday, I figured I'd get it on monday, no big deal.

Imagine my surprise when I checked back a few minutes ago to find that it shipped around 1:30 this afternoon, Standard Overnight delivery. Our dear friends in Cupertino must be quite serious about delivering on Friday.

Also interesting is that it shipped from Middletown, PA. Either they did east coast production, or they did some quick distribution to regional facilities prior to shipment.

I'm glad it went overight today and not 2-day yesterday beacause that should put it here by 3 and my campus post-office closes at 5. So Panther and a new Hitachi 8GN 80GB HD for my PowerBook G3 Firewire should be waiting for me after class tomorrow. Sweet.

Free overight shipping certainly can't be cheap, as unfortunately exemplified by the old outpost.com

CBS

Voltrage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2003, 04:49 PM

I live in PA. My OSX shipped yesterday from Middletown Pennsylvania, a few hours away, and has gone through Massachusetts and Deleware since then. It's almost as if it's being bounced around to slow down the delivery untill Friday.

-Q-
Oct 23, 2003, 05:01 PM

Mine shipped from CA supposedly yesterday (and I paid for overnite) but it didn't arrive on this coast until today (said it arrived in Memphis about 1 PM today). I think I'm going to call Apple and complain about the $12. If it shipped on Wednesday, why don't I have it if I paid for overnite?

Chris Grande
Senior User
Oct 23, 2003, 05:14 PM

Well...mine currently is still listed as OPEN. Someone I know the next street over ordered after me and hers shipped yesterday. Yesterday I was 2-day and today I am overnight....so heres hoping it gets here.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 05:56 PM

Mine order is funny. . . I lived in Oakland. But I guess it is true about what they say that ALL FedEX orders go through Memphis.

It went from Rancho Cordova to Oakland. From Oakland to Memphis.

And it has just left Memphis as of 1:57pm, I guess it is coming back to Oakland.

It should be here by 4:30pm tomorrow.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
Mine shipped from CA supposedly yesterday (and I paid for overnite) but it didn't arrive on this coast until today (said it arrived in Memphis about 1 PM today). I think I'm going to call Apple and complain about the $12. If it shipped on Wednesday, why don't I have it if I paid for overnite?
You're going to complain that something you know you're not supposed to get until Friday didn't come on Thursday?

Dork.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by spiderbyte:
Looks like we are all going to get Panther on Friday, whether we paid extra for shipping or selected free shipping.

Anyone else feel screwed out of $12?

//// \\\\ spiderbyte
Maybe you should feel stupid, instead of screwed.

I'm sure Apple worked with FedEx to try and ensure Panther packages aren't delivered until Friday.

drosboro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2003, 06:38 PM

Actually, I don't feel stupid or screwed! Just happy that mine arrived at about 12:00 PM PDT on 10/23. I guess they didn't work closely enough with FedEx Canada...

Just finishing the install now. Woohoo!

Pidd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2003, 06:42 PM

I to have received my copy of Pather here up in Britsih Columbia, Canada. Arrived today at 12:20 PM. Already installed and enjoying an increase in speed and many new features.

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2003, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by iohead:
Why in the name of God would it go to Tennessee *after* it's been sitting in Oakland (near my place) for 12 hours?
I saw exactly the same thing with my Panther box and came here to see if it was a SNAFU or if others were seeing it.

I live in Santa Rosa, 67 miles from Rancho Cordova as the crow flies... and about 69 miles from Oakland. So I too was stunned to see it sent to Memphis, 1800 miles away.

Well, FedEx are the kings of time/motion analysis, so I'm sure it makes some kind of sense. And we'll both almost certainly still get Panther before 5pm tomorrow... and the box will have some interesting travel tales to tell us when it gets here.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2003, 06:51 PM

Mine is still Open.

Oh well... I'm saving $60 so I can't bitch... I think the full price people should get them early.

But Apple shouldn't say that it will deliver on Friday if it won't.

Oh well. Maybe on Saturday or Monday.

I've waited this long. another day or two won't kill me...

Then again

macwayne
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2003, 06:58 PM

Cool, I get Panther tomorrow (Friday) too by 4:30 and Apple didn't charge any shipping charges! This makes me want to take the day off so I can be home when it arrrives!

tRr
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2003, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by drosboro:
Actually, I don't feel stupid or screwed! Just happy that mine arrived at about 12:00 PM PDT on 10/23. I guess they didn't work closely enough with FedEx Canada...

Just finishing the install now. Woohoo!
Does it come with the nice black box??????

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2003, 07:16 PM

YES.. finally...

[old image removed]

Hope they are on-time.. since I have to drive 100 miles heading west to AppleStore.
( Last edited by Kenneth; Oct 24, 2003 at 09:55 AM. )

midwinter
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 07:19 PM

Memphis is a major FedEx hub.

Everything goes through there.

spiderbyte  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2003, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by CatOne:
Maybe you should feel stupid, instead of screwed.

I'm sure Apple worked with FedEx to try and ensure Panther packages aren't delivered until Friday.
I do feel that your comment is that of an a**hole.

//// \\\\ spiderbyte

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2003, 07:29 PM

Mine didn't. Went from Middletown, PA to a sort facility in Newark. Deliveries to my address get put on a truck in Newark for delivery.

midwinter
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by justinkim:
Mine didn't. Went from Middletown, PA to a sort facility in Newark. Deliveries to my address get put on a truck in Newark for delivery.
You are correct. I meant to say *nearly* everything goes through there. My bad.

Cheers
Scott

PS
Well... HOW IS IT?!?!

slider
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 07:45 PM

Great, I have two coming, one is in the state. My question is, do you think this is going to require a signature or not?

midwinter
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by slider:
Great, I have two coming, one is in the state. My question is, do you think this is going to require a signature or not?
You can generally leave a note with instructions for the FedEx delivery person to leave the package. Make sure you *sign* the note.

I do that all the time, and never have any trouble.

Cheers
Scott

richard bl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2003, 08:21 PM

I live in Montreal. I got the box at noon time thursday. I'm running it now and very happy !

laurenr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2003, 09:01 PM

The comments in the tracking information do say this is a "pre-routed" package, whatever that means. Doesn't look like I will get it today. Maybe it will go to Washington, DC tonight and come back to California tomorrow :-)

-A [/B][/QUOTE]

I saw exactly the same notice on the Fedex site!! I too live in California; saw yesterday package was sitting in Oakland, then this morning took a side-trip to Tennessee on the other goddam side of the country - when I am direct route down the road!!!!! Any updates IO?????? This makes no sense. I could have had it this afternoon if it had not got "kidnapped"!!!!

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by midwinter:

FedEx's headquarters are at Memphis International Airport. Their sorting facility makes up half the airport. Because of FedEx, Memphis Internation Airport is the world's busiest cargo hub.
( Last edited by waxcrash; Oct 23, 2003 at 09:31 PM. )

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2003, 09:25 PM

Yeah, finally! Mine has shipped at 8:00 PM EST time. And the tracking number already works with FedEx... and they say that it will be delivered tomorrow by 3:00 PM... woo!

cwasko
Senior User
Oct 23, 2003, 09:42 PM

Shipped Wednesday, arrived today at about 1:30 PM EDT.

[edit] I ordered it on Monday evening and I live in Northern, VA.

iKenny
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2003, 09:42 PM

Ours has arrived already! It actually arrived today (Oct. 23) at around 10:30 am, even though we got 2nd day shipping for free. It was supposed to come tomorrow at 4:30!

j0nkatz
Oct 23, 2003, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by waxcrash:
FedEx's headquarters are at Memphis International Airport. Their sorting facility makes up half the airport. Because of FedEx, Memphis Internation Airport is the world's busiest cargo hub.
Actually the main HUB is at the airport, the actual HQ is in the east side of the city, and the Tech HQ is just a little east of that in a smaller connecting town called Collierville.

The hub has so many people working there, when they do the nightly sort, the Hub ALONE becomes the 5th or 6th largest "city" (population wise) in the state.

HvyMtlMdns
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2003, 10:46 PM

I just checked my status on FedEx. It arrived in town today at 5:46pm. So close... yet so far away. I'm coming home early tomorrow.
MacMini 2.0 Ghz C2D/160GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/3X 1 TB Ext HDs; iMac C2D 20" 2.66 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/20" Display with external 20" Apple Cinema Display; PB G4 1.67 GHz 17"/250GB/1 GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD; 5G iPod Classic 160GB; 2G iPod Shuffle; AppleTV

Chris Grande
Senior User
Oct 23, 2003, 11:00 PM

Mine just shipped today........will be here Friday at 3PM.

AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Oct 23, 2003, 11:43 PM

Man, it looks like Apple is doing a great job getting our pre-orders to us at exactly the right time. Only that guy in England got his early.

The rest of us are getting it tomorrow.

Way to go Apple.

-Q-
Oct 24, 2003, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by CatOne:
You're going to complain that something you know you're not supposed to get until Friday didn't come on Thursday?

Dork.
Dumbass. You obviously don't understand the concept of overnite shipping.

Here let me explain it: I paid for a service to have a package delivered to me within 24-hours of shipping. I received a shipping notice on Wednesday. Therefore I should receive my package on Thursday as I paid for that service.

If you have any trouble with that concept, let me know. Moron.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 12:00 AM

Yup...mine's supposed to arrive tomorrow at 3PM as well. I can hardly wait.

And yeah, it seems that this kinda screwed over people who paid for 2-day or overnight shipping.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2003, 12:54 AM

Looks like it will show up at work in the morning.

That's one quick 400-mile transit.

midwinter
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:

That's one quick 400-mile transit.
No kidding. When I lived in OK I used to have to make that drive a couple of times a year. I used to think they make Arkansas bigger every year.

Cheers
Scott

Waffle House
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2003, 01:26 AM

Alas, I am at college and our campus mail room closes at 3:00 pm! When Panther is delivered.

So I will have to get it Saturday in-between the house of 10 am and 1 pm.

Just so happens to be when I have work.
(yes work on a weekend, live event staff for homecoming weekend.)

ARGGG, I have to wait to harness this cat on Monday!

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 02:20 AM

Originally posted by laurenr:

I saw exactly the same notice on the Fedex site!! I too live in California; saw yesterday package was sitting in Oakland, then this morning took a side-trip to Tennessee on the other goddam side of the country - when I am direct route down the road!!!!! Any updates IO?????? This makes no sense. I could have had it this afternoon if it had not got "kidnapped"!!!!
Dood, I live 15 mins from the Oakland HUB.

I just got an update. . . it looks like it is back in Oakland now.

Oct 23, 2003 8:21 pm
Arrived at Sort Facility_
OAKLAND CA_

5:36 pm
Left FedEx Sort Facility_
MEMPHIS TN_

1:57 pm
Arrived FedEx Sort Facility_
MEMPHIS TN_

12:08 am
Arrived at FedEx Ramp_
OAKLAND CA_

Oct 22, 2003
11:51 pm
Left FedEx Origin Location_
RANCHO CORDOVA CA_

4:13 pm
Pickup status_
RANCHO CORDOVA CA_

cwasko
Senior User
Oct 24, 2003, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by AU_student_iceBook:
Man, it looks like Apple is doing a great job getting our pre-orders to us at exactly the right time. Only that guy in England got his early.

The rest of us are getting it tomorrow.

Way to go Apple.
Huh?:

Originally posted by cwasko:
Shipped Wednesday, arrived today at about 1:30 PM EDT.

[edit] I ordered it on Monday evening and I live in Northern, VA.
Note, that 'today' actually represents yesterday, as in Thursday, October 23, 2003.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 09:04 AM

mine already on the truck to be delivered "before 4:30 pm" today, so i'll have it installed before 8pm hopefully!!!
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

tr
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 09:46 AM

WOOOOOO-HOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
i hold, in my hand, OS X 10.3 Panther!

fedex came first thing this morning, i just got into work, and they handed me the package!

now, i should just take the day off, and install this...

tr

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2003, 09:53 AM

Mine is "out for delivery", which means it will be in my grubby little hands by tonight when I get home. Nothing could be more fun.

Sat will be Panther Day!

BZ

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2003, 09:58 AM

My package didn't pass through MEMPHIS TN

Oct 24, 2003
4:19 am......Left FedEx Sort Facility......OAKLAND CA_
4:10 am......Arrived at FedEx Ramp......SPOKANE WA_
Oct 23, 2003
10:59 pm......Arrived at Sort Facility......OAKLAND CA_
6:04 pm......Left FedEx Origin Location_......RANCHO CORDOVA CA_
2:17 pm......Pickup status......RANCHO CORDOVA CA_

midwinter
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by Kenneth:
My package didn't pass through MEMPHIS TN

Oct 24, 2003
4:19 am......Left FedEx Sort Facility......OAKLAND CA_
4:10 am......Arrived at FedEx Ramp......SPOKANE WA_
Oct 23, 2003
10:59 pm......Arrived at Sort Facility......OAKLAND CA_
6:04 pm......Left FedEx Origin Location_......RANCHO CORDOVA CA_
2:17 pm......Pickup status......RANCHO CORDOVA CA_
Nor did/has mine, but that's because we both live in the West, I imagine.

Cheers
Scott

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2003, 11:29 AM

Just received Panther. I was surprised to get a manila packet with CDs and manuals instead of the retail box. Kinda sux as I've got every other OS X box since the public beta. Well, off to begin installing.

The Evener
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2003, 11:29 AM

FedEx dropped mine off Thursday (10am) here in Ottawa. I just ran home after class (I teach at the nearby university) before heading out to office hours, and luckily I was there to receive it from the driver, avoiding the "we were here" sticker and all that jazz. I installed it yesterday on my Tangerine iBook (I did the upgrade option), and so far I'm pleased with it although I haven't used it extensively since I haven't really sat down with the laptop for any extended period of time beyond the installation.

On thing I noticed on my machine is that the Expose "glob" is floating around my desktop, and I don't know how to shut it off. Do I have to fiddle with a pref file in Terminal (ie. TRUE or FALSE permissions) to shut it off??

"Psssst..."

Forum Links
Forum Rules