Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > External HD automatically spins down - help needed

External HD automatically spins down - help needed
reemas
Senior User
Oct 3, 2005, 12:27 PM

My WD external hard drive automatically spins down after about 5 minutes. It's extremely annoying since some programs I load, wait for the drive to spin back up.

Is there any way I can prevent this? I did not see any options for it under sys pref > energy saver.

is this normal behavior? it goes to sleep, just like when i would put my powerbook to sleep. it's a fw800 drive is that matters.

hope someone can help me resolve this issue.
( Last edited by reemas; Nov 4, 2005 at 04:26 PM. )

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2005, 02:18 PM

my FW external is set to spin down automatically when not in use. check to see if there's a switch on the enclosure that hasn't been mis-flicked or what have you.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Oct 3, 2005, 02:20 PM

I checked the case. there is no such switch. i have the bytecc fw800, fw400, usb2 case with an oxford chipset. what ype of case do you have?

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2005, 02:32 PM

i have a domestic market japanese jobbie, I-O Data branded Maxtor.
the switch thing is cool though, set to always-on, auto-on/off, and off.
since i use it just for music and backing up, the only thing that lags a bit is starting a song in itunes after a spell of downtime. anyway, 'luck.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Nov 4, 2005, 04:29 PM

i'm going nuts here. the model of case i have is shown here:
http://www.byteccusa.com/product/enc...ME-740F2U2.htm

its a bytecc case. is there any software or unix commands or anything other utility i can use to keep the system from spinning the drive down so often?

the hard drive is a 250gb WD drive. please help. this is an ongoing, frustrating problem. thanks in advance!

himself
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2005, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by reemas
i'm going nuts here. the model of case i have is shown here:
http://www.byteccusa.com/product/enc...ME-740F2U2.htm

its a bytecc case. is there any software or unix commands or anything other utility i can use to keep the system from spinning the drive down so often?

the hard drive is a 250gb WD drive. please help. this is an ongoing, frustrating problem. thanks in advance!
The disk itself may be going bad. If the enclosure supports S.M.A.R.T. status, you can check whether it is failing or not in Disk Utility.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Nov 4, 2005, 06:48 PM

this had been the case since i got it. as for SMART status, it says: Not Supported.

What does that mean?

himself
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2005, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by reemas
this had been the case since i got it. as for SMART status, it says: Not Supported.

What does that mean?
usually means that the fw case doesn't support it... you'd have to connect the drive directly to a computer via ATA cable to get the SMART status.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2005, 01:09 AM

I doubt it's the drive. I have several external Firewire drives that also spin-down as they aren't the startup disk. The Mac has a power management control that can put disks to sleep after a certain idle time. This is activated in Preferences > Energy Saver and checking the "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible" option. If I recall correctly, the default idle time is 10 minutes.

If unchecking it doesn't work, you can force override the setting by using the pmset utility in the command line. Typing pmset -a disksleep 0 (10.4) or pmset -a spindown 0 (10.3 and earlier) will cause the Mac to not make the drives spin down. You will need root privileges to do this, and this setting affects the whole system (not just the user). The persistent preferences are stored in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist (10.4).
( Last edited by ginoledesma; Nov 6, 2005 at 12:01 AM. )

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2005, 01:41 AM

If pmset doesn't work for you, you might want tor resort to this surefire workaround instead.

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Nov 5, 2005, 01:48 AM

finally the help i needed. much thanks. im surprised more people havent complained about this before.

i have tried to uncheck the "put hard to sleep" many times before. never any luck. can you even configure it? (i.e. set the delay time to spin down). for some reason it wasn't unchecked this time, so i locked it as unchecked.

if that doesn't work i'll try the other mentioned steps. i'll post back soon. thanks a lot!

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Nov 5, 2005, 02:07 PM

UPDATE:
I have managed to fix the problem. I simply unchecked the option "Put Hard Disks to Sleep When not in Use"

However, I have tried this option MANY times before. I believe the secret is in the following three:
1.) Lock the changes - by clicking the little lock icon after unchecking the option.
2.) Restart after locking the changes - may or may not be related. I restarted as I thought it would be better to let the system boot with that option as oppsed to have it run on an already running drive.

Note: The update in 10.4.3 perhaps addressed a bug or issue related to this - because prior to this I was never able to make it work.

I'm comfortable with my Mac and help many other people around here and why it worked this time is still slightly surprising.

I'm bookmarking this thread, good info here. Thanks again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules