Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 87)
BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2014, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
The nether is a terrifying place, I died three times in a row attempting to get nether rack.
What did you want nether rack for? I'm getting some from the sludge boiler along with soul sand.

redstone is usually pretty tight though. I almost exclusively sieve dust to have enough redstone on hand.
I have 4 pulverisers in a T shape

[cobble][sand][cobble]
-> [gravel] <--
[chest]

arrows are item ducts that also go up a layer. item ducts down the center on the top extracting into the chest. power on the bottom, I get 10% sand output, and a constant stream of dust. It's not enough for the 8 activators though.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2014, 01:41 AM

The nether is a terrifying place, I died three times in a row attempting to get nether rack.
What did you want nether rack for? I'm getting some from the sludge boiler along with soul sand.

redstone is usually pretty tight though. I almost exclusively sieve dust to have enough redstone on hand.
I have 4 pulverisers in a T shape

[cobble][sand][cobble]
-> [gravel] <--
[chest]

arrows are item ducts that also go up a layer. item ducts down the center on the top extracting into the chest. power on the bottom, I get 10% sand output, and a constant stream of dust. It's not enough for the 8 activators though.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2014, 08:21 AM

I needed some quick sulphur to make enderium ingots for one of the final quests.

andi*pandi
Apr 29, 2014, 09:00 AM

ok, making colourful portal instead.

for the reference:

white: spawn, horses, hot air balloons, lapis land
black: home bases
red: cyclopse quarry?
yellow: cyclopse explore, castle, sea monster castle
brown: sek, old quarry (has glitches here), stronghold
blue: sek?
neon green: enderfarm
teal: andi exploring

any others I missed?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2014, 01:48 PM

This upcoming feature should be enough to get me to update the server and spend some time there.
Best day in my Minecraft life! : mindcrack

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2014, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
ok, making colourful portal instead.

for the reference:

white: spawn, horses, hot air balloons, lapis land
black: home bases
red: cyclopse quarry?
yellow: cyclopse explore, castle, sea monster castle
brown: sek, old quarry (has glitches here), stronghold
blue: sek?
neon green: enderfarm
teal: andi exploring

any others I missed?
Brown is borked because it goes through The End, I've been thinking about completely tearing down all the brown portals anyways. besides that your list seems correct, any other colors are up for grabs.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2014, 03:50 PM

As annoying as they are to get off of, the portal blocks are portable without having to keep making colored water.

cycl0pse
Senior User
May 5, 2014, 03:51 PM

FYI: something was eating a ton of cycles on the server, so I bounced it and did the usual system updates. For reference, at idle it usually consumes about 5-12% CPU. At idle it was eating over 40%...

After Reboot idle was down to 15-25%. That's a lot better than 40% (and no more 'server cannot keep up messages'). If usage stays high I'll bump up the CPU

cycl0pse

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 5, 2014, 04:49 PM

I haven't been on either server in a while. Works been hell, and I'm not completely bored with agrarian sky's yet.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2014, 07:41 PM

What little Minecraft I've been playing is Agrarian Skies as well, but I'm still looking forward to the server update. Hopefully OPIS helps out with locating the source of the random spurts of lag.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 5, 2014, 11:50 PM

I finished milk so i converted all the cows over for the soup (feed them spores). tomatoes and spice in progress in the background.

Got tired of waiting for apples from the tree farm. Put the skeletons from the grinder to use making strawberries.

( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; May 6, 2014 at 09:37 PM. )

andi*pandi
May 16, 2014, 08:57 AM

We just had fun exploring a maze and defeating a necromancer.

Sek and blaze, when you're done with agrarian skies I've left a small item for your golems. The kid gave a stack of gold to the pech so we had enough knowledge fragments for research... hoping for something useful (elevator!), but oh well!

Somehow the kid got killed at the grinder, and the system helpfully sucked up his flame staff and necromancer hoodie, and sent them to the void.

Also, don't eat lux mana. Kills you instantly.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 16, 2014, 10:15 AM

I have extra staffs and hoodies in my AE system if he wants a replacement. If the grinder voided them though it means the overflow junk chest is full. I was actually on this week clearing out a castle and a pirate ship.

andi*pandi
May 16, 2014, 04:36 PM

I've done a castle that maybe someone else started, and found another untouched, with a village and different mobs (walkers) that I'm tackling this weekend. He'd be happy to have another staff, thanks. I'm now swimming in armor from the castle.

Have not seen an unplundered pirate ship, but they look fun.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 20, 2014, 11:11 PM

I've been lazy but the vanilla server is updated to 1.7.9.
No-one has noticed/complained but dyndns shut down their free dns service.
The new dns should be blazemkiv.framed.net when the address propagates through the system.

andi*pandi
May 21, 2014, 08:23 AM

hey, I noticed. I tried logging in and figured updates were happening. Thanks!

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 21, 2014, 10:29 AM

Well the dns lookup works from the office now so it should be good.

--

Apparently its taking a long time for the address to update or it's configured wrong.
( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; May 21, 2014 at 05:49 PM. )

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2014, 11:28 AM

So i updated my agrarian sky's to the latest pack and it insta killed me. While I was standing on my bridge to the mob spawner so I lost everything on me. I'm not starting that a third time.

andi*pandi
Jun 9, 2014, 07:47 PM

That sounds frustrating. I watched a few vids of that and decided I had enough tedious things to do.

Tried to log into new server, is there anything to put besides blazemkiv.framed.net?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2014, 08:00 PM

No it's using the default port. I could resolve the DNS from work but not from home, now I can't at work. I may have set something wrong?

I'll poke at it when i get home and try to see whats wrong.

update:

blazemkiv.strangled.net

turns out whoever is loaning framed.net to afraid.org is doing something totally wrong.
( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; Jun 10, 2014 at 09:51 PM. )

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jun 12, 2014, 11:10 AM

Heads up - power outage at the house dropped my server. Bringing it back up now.

And apologies for the delay in updating it. Life, as it has a way of doing, has been happening at a frantic pace and I just haven't had time. I hope to see a slowdown as summer hits.

cycl0pse

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2014, 01:04 PM

Thanks for the update Cy, I actually signed in recently to check on my power system. It had run dry all because the sapling golem seems to have vanished for no reason. Oh well. I'll be the first one back on once the update hits.

I actually also ran around the Vanilla server recently as well. No NEI or minimap are the biggest shocks to the system by far.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jun 14, 2014, 06:08 PM

OK, question for the masses:
how many golems do we have running around? Reason I ask: I'm attempting the update of the current map and keep getting a crash just as a golem is loaded. Here's the log excerpt:
Code:
2014-06-14 18:01:19 [INFO] Preparing spawn area: 24% 2014-06-14 18:01:20 [WARNING] Skipping TileEntity with id bdArmorStand 2014-06-14 18:01:20 [WARNING] Skipping TileEntity with id bdArmorStand 2014-06-14 18:01:20 [WARNING] Skipping TileEntity with id bdArmorStand 2014-06-14 18:01:20 [INFO] Preparing spawn area: 71% 2014-06-14 18:01:21 [INFO] Done (12.664s)! For help, type "help" or "?" 2014-06-14 18:01:22 [WARNING] Skipping TileEntity with id TubeStuff online detector 2014-06-14 18:01:22 [WARNING] Skipping Entity with id Pech 2014-06-14 18:01:22 [WARNING] Skipping TileEntity with id TubeStuff online detector 2014-06-14 18:01:22 [WARNING] Skipping TileEntity with id TubeStuff incinerator 2014-06-14 18:01:22 [WARNING] Skipping TileEntity with id TubeStuff online detector 2014-06-14 18:01:24 [WARNING] Skipping Entity with id Thaumcraft.Golem 2014-06-14 18:01:24 [SEVERE] Encountered an unexpected exception StackOverflowError java.lang.StackOverflowError
I've tested the mods and they all work peachy-keen with a new world (granted, I didn't test heavily, but they loaded and I could run around ) but they aren't liking something in the old one.

Thoughts?

(one option is for me to back-out the updates to thaum and chicken core to see if that helps...)

cycl0pse

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2014, 09:31 PM

I can log in and take down all my golems. Maybe its just when they're entities?

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jun 14, 2014, 10:28 PM

that's entirely possible. a lot of little changes combine to one really significant one. if you can take them down I'll re-copy the maps and give it a try. Probably tomorrow at the earliest.

Server is back up.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2014, 11:37 AM

I'll log in and stow my golems too.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jun 17, 2014, 07:26 AM

Thanks folks for the effort. Now it's throwing another error.

Reading through the logs, I think the issue is with the updated tubestuff. Long story short, I'm going to have to re-work the update and drop some of the new releases in favor of stability. That will take an evening or two, but I'm on the hunt now.
cycl0pse

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2014, 10:16 AM

Maybe try updating to the intermediate version then again to the newest? They don't really test upgrades.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jun 17, 2014, 05:31 PM

looking over my notes, if the problem is related to the immibis modset I was one step away. so, assuming that is the cause of the pain and agony (and that is a huge assumption right now, but you have to start somewhere when debugging) I"m going to roll them all back to 'current versions' and see what happens.

Truthfully, redlogic and tubestuff can stay where they are anyways. no major changes to speak of since they're now working with the 1.7.2 updates.
We'll see how things go tonight...

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jun 19, 2014, 10:07 AM

Note: Another power outage last night (longer than the UPS could handle) and the server is still down. Won't get back online until after 6pm EST at this point. Looks like it didn't power cycle properly during the last reboot.

andi*pandi
Jun 19, 2014, 12:00 PM

No worries. I'm down in the bottom of a labyrinth having been ripped to shreds by minotaurs. No hurry to get back.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jun 27, 2014, 09:59 AM

grumble, grumble. repeated bounces of the power flaked out one power supply. running on the second for now until the hot spare gets in. (note to self: get bigger UPS for server, with better line conditioning)

Been working on the update. Still having issues with some updated mods in 1.6.4. May just add the few new mods and call it a day.

What's everyone's thoughts on 1.7? Odds of successfully updating Polyphemus is... low. Would a custom 1.7.x modpack be worthwhile?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2014, 10:07 AM

A reset doesn't bother me.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2014, 11:57 AM

I'm fine with whatever, as long as I have Thermal Expansion and Extra Utilities to play with. The only thing that strikes me as a massive pain will be the thaumcraft research again, perhaps we could cheat that in for our characters.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2014, 12:23 PM

There is a creative book that gives them all to you

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jun 27, 2014, 04:14 PM

Here's my planned steps:
1: get the current one updated with a few of the mods.
2: compare current mods to what is available for 1.7
3: if there is enough compatibility, attempt to convert map to 1.7 with new mods
4: if there is NOT enough compatibly, keep this up and running while throwing caution to the wind designing a new modpack.

Be warned, summer is busy for me (house projects abound as do work projects) so delays will be the norm for a bit longer. Also, I recently discovered KSP and that is eating some time (that would be the Kerbal Space Program).

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2014, 05:27 PM

No rush good sir, all your hard thankless work is greatly appreciated.

andi*pandi
Jul 3, 2014, 10:54 AM

no worries, no rush, it's too damn hot to be in the same room with the computer anyhow.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2014, 04:38 PM

This is my fully mature day 1 front door design for playing on hardcore with the new zombie AI

andi*pandi
Jul 8, 2014, 10:45 AM

great, smart zombies. But can they dance?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2014, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
great, smart zombies. But can they dance?
They do if you give them a stair to stand on.

They now track you from 200 blocks away instead of the 20 they used to. So in the morning there's a mob waiting outside. If your playing in a mod pack that gives them helmets and swords more frequently than vanilla does most of them won't burn.

andi*pandi
Jul 14, 2014, 10:25 PM

Cy, is the polythemis down until you can sort out an upgrade path, or just temporarily?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2014, 07:51 PM

I noticed someone made a new-ish road and I set put my smeltery and AE system for making the brownstone slabs.

I'm planning in a few improvement projects on the vanilla server. One of which is fencing in and lighting it up.

( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; Aug 6, 2014 at 10:38 PM. )

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2014, 11:44 PM

For the builders among us
Not just colored fences! : mindcrack

Someones quarry just missed. Anyone need tin?
( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; Aug 9, 2014 at 06:30 PM. )

andi*pandi
Aug 10, 2014, 01:06 AM

nice, new doors!

the road was me, a while back. I did run out of brownstone.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2014, 11:33 PM

I've been putting some work in an the vanilla server. Its not quite zen mining but almost.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2014, 10:11 PM

I was working on my place on polythemus and I'm getting client side crashes trying to render the slabs I was putting on the wall. I'm not sure how to resolve it though.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 19, 2014, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
I was working on my place on polythemus and I'm getting client side crashes trying to render the slabs I was putting on the wall. I'm not sure how to resolve it though.
I saw some error logs on the server today... must be what you're referencing.

If it matters, all my attempts to update the current Polyphemus to a better/newer/crazier version of 1.6.4 have hit brick walls. I can update a mod or two and add one or so but everything else either borks the map bad or just crashes on load.

So I spent some time launching Kerbals into space to visit (and occasionally crash into) random heavenly bodies. It was a nice stress relieving distraction. And addicting. SO addicting. Hope the get a multi-player version going soon (and yes, there is Win, Mac, and Linux ports...just google Kerbal Space Program).

I digress. So rather than mess around with Polyphemus v1.* anymore I'm shifting focus to version 2. I'm in the discovery process now of what mods are updated to the more recent versions. If updating the map is a possibility I may try for it (if all the mods are updated) but honestly I think this may be an all new version. I want to spend some time on it still, but right now Minecraft time competes with 'repair house' time and 'working late' time and 'work project out of town' time and all kinds of other 'times'...

sigh. sad I need to find time to have fun, isn't it? Regardless, just wanted to update everyone... oh yea, and another thing..

SERVER will have sporadic outages the next week or so. I need to set it up to test VDI and getting all the AD stuff configured is requiring reboots. I do check the server for activity first so I won't kick anyone off, but should you try to get on and get an error... it's me tinkering.

cycl0pse

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2014, 08:46 PM

I'm 100% on board with a new map and version 2 of Polyphemus, especially if it means less work and headaches for you. Also I'm not finding many reasons to include Buildcraft anymore, unless the quarry, filler and pipes are dear to anyone's heart. Extra Utilities can easily replace BC for simple sorting and piping, probably easier on the server too.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2014, 10:03 PM

The high mineral content settings makes the quarry's quite unnecessary. I find most of the enjoyment of modded mind craft is all the setup and working through the tech tree. One request I would make is if you're including Thaumcraft set the research to easy mode. The research has gone from it's original automatable to a grindy mini game to it's current unbearable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules