Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mind-boggling Safari Bookmarks Bug Still Exists!

Mind-boggling Safari Bookmarks Bug Still Exists!
Steve's Sanity
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2008, 01:46 AM

Now I know why I've habitually avoided organizing my bookmarks in Safari. A huge bug that was present in Safari from release one is still around in version 3.1.1.; I'm astounded that Apple has never bothered to fix this obvious bookmarks selection bug. Want to reproduce it? Just select a group of bookmarks and drag them to a different place in your list. Afterward, you'll see that the bookmarks you selected were indeed moved, but the next bookmarks that came after the ones you moved are now selected instead, making it appear that they didn't move at all. You're then likely going to attempt to move the second set of bookmarks to the place you moved the others to because you're under the impression that the ones you originally intended to move are not where you placed them. If you don't understand this explanation, just move some bookmarks around and you'll see what I'm talking about. It happens about 80% of the time you try to move a group of bookmarks.
( Last edited by Steve's Sanity; May 24, 2008 at 02:04 AM. )
What happened to Steve's sanity? He took it out with the trash. . .

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
May 24, 2008, 07:41 AM

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I select a bunch of my bookmarks, move them to a new folder, they stay selected and I see nothing amiss. I'm not seeing any problem here and I never did when organizing my bookmarks.

Atheist
Mac Elite
May 24, 2008, 09:00 AM

It took me a minute to figure out what you were getting at... but now I see. The bookmarks are moved as expected, however the rows stay selected/highlighted which could make you think that nothing had actually happened.

Have you provided feedback to Apple? Safari->Report bugs to Apple...

Professional Poster
May 26, 2008, 01:29 PM

Safari 3.1.1 sucks. It consistently forgets keychain information, and crashes frequently. Does anyone have 3.0.4 that I could use?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2008, 02:22 PM

Couldn't you extract it from an old OS X version on disc, using Pacifist ?

-t

Professional Poster
May 26, 2008, 02:54 PM

well, actually the version I want is 3.1. 3.1.1 is the one I hate. The one thats on my disk is 3.0, which in many ways was worse, so I think IU'll just be switching to Camino.

Forum Links
Forum Rules