Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Gay history month!

Gay history month!
roam
Jan 21, 2005, 08:23 AM

While in the US being gay is constantly being looked upon as some sort of evil, especially from the Republican politicians, schools, and screwed up religious nuts. In the UK, schoolchildren are going to be celebrating gay history month.

That's what progress is. Nice going, UK.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4194247.stm

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2005, 08:25 AM

never in the US

anybody even mentions the word "lifestyle" or "alternate" and some cristian funamentalist group gets a hard-on

roam  (op)
Jan 21, 2005, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by Apple Pro Underwear:
never in the US

anybody even mentions the word "lifestyle" or "alternate" and some cristian funamentalist group gets a hard-on
I know, for people who complain about religious intolerance, many portions of that community are the first to decry people expressing their sexual preference.

I think this month in the UK is fantastic. I mean, contrast this with lasty week's news in Calif. and the tone is of religious-backed politicians trying to curb gay lifestyles.

roam  (op)
Jan 21, 2005, 08:30 AM

One other thing, it's great to be educating our children into ideas of tolerance, and awareness. If we as a society demonize gays and lesbians, then we can never expect the prejudices that exist, to vanish.

Start them young in teaching them awareness, can only be good.

hart
Senior User
Jan 21, 2005, 09:48 AM

and in the news (political lounge material):

http://thetrack.boston

Group puts squeeze on SpongeBob as gay icon

Friday, January 21, 2005

Happy cartoon icon SpongeBob SquarePants is just a little too gay for one conservative Christian group that charges that Bikini Bottom's most famous resident is a homosexual.

`We see the video as an insidious means by which the organization is manipulating and potentially brainwashing kids,'' Paul Batura, a spokesman for Focus on the Family, told the New York Times. ``It is a classic bait and switch.''

_____The Times reported that the group's head, James Dobson, also attacked SpongeBob at a pre-inauguration black-tie dinner in Washington, D.C. Tuesday night.

_____Dobson apparently believes that SpongeBob and his cartoon sidekick, Patrick - who are often seen holding hands - are secretly practicing the Love That Dares Not Speak Its Name.

_____ And the Nickelodeon superstar's taste in television - he enjoys the imaginary ``Adventures of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy'' - was also called into question.

..........___WAFF's attorney, Mark Barondeso, added that anyone who says the video promotes homosexuality ``needs to visit their doctor and get their medication increased.''

-------------------
http://www.workingforchange.com/arti...m?ItemID=18386

"Cooperation and unity are the most important values we can teach children. We believe that this is the essential first step to loving thy neighbor," says Nile Rodgers, co-writer of the song "We Are Family" and founder of WAFF. "And the fun and exciting format makes it a lesson that's easy for children to learn."

So what's not to like about a video promoting diversity and tolerance, true family values? A lot says Ed Vitagliano, the news editor of AFA Journal, a monthly publication of the American Family Association, who sees the devil -- also known as the homosexual agenda -- at work: The effort by WAFF, he writes in the January issue of AFA Journal, "is as unprecedented as it is cunning, using all the right words and happiest faces in an attempt to speak directly to the nation's children about 'tolerance and diversity'." For Vitagliano, the whole project smacks of "homosexual advocacy."

roam  (op)
Jan 21, 2005, 09:57 AM

LMAO!!! Poor Bob. That reminds me of when tellitubbies came to the States. Some wackos wanted it banned cause they found out one of the actors was lesbian.

lol

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by roam:
In the UK, schoolchildren are going to be celebrating gay history month.
It saves having to teach them how to read and write, I guess. We sure need to be teaching 7-year-olds how to be gay when a third of 11-year-olds are functionally illiterate.

There'll be a major backlash against this - trust me - it won't do your cause any favours at all.

roam  (op)
Jan 21, 2005, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
It saves having to teach them how to read and write, I guess. We sure need to be teaching 7-year-olds how to be gay when a third of 11-year-olds are functionally illiterate.

There'll be a major backlash against this - trust me - it won't do your cause any favours at all.
Teaching someone to be gay, and educating them on gays, are entirely dfferent beasts.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 10:07 AM

Teaching someone to be gay, and educating them on gays, are entirely dfferent beasts.
Not when you're talking 7-year-olds.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2005, 10:10 AM

dude,

it's not like on black history month, the entire US schhol system stops and watches MLK and MX documentaries

they learn the same things but flavored black history to change up the pace. if they were reading Shakespeare... they read Othello, if they were studying poetry, the stop the TS Elliots and do Langston Hughes... science wise - they can study black inventors...

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by Apple Pro Underwear:
it's not like on black history month, the entire US schhol system stops and watches MLK and MX documentaries

they learn the same things but flavored black history to change up the pace. if they were reading Shakespeare... they read Othello, if they were studying poetry, the stop the TS Elliots and do Langston Hughes... science wise - they can study black inventors...
I have no idea what you just said.
But trust me on this - it ain't gonna go down too well. The original poster seems to think that the UK is "socially advanced" because of this - but it's the work of a small minority of loonies which will get a lot of regular people's backs up.

To illustrate, different but similarly-thinking small minorities have been pushing racial agendas around here (affirmative action). The result? We were 17 votes away from an ultra-far-right council representative at the last election.

This is how the UK works - someone pushes, everyone bends. Someone then thinks they're onto a good thing and pushes a tiny bit harder, you get a big backlash.

roam  (op)
Jan 21, 2005, 10:20 AM

Why not? I mean, they're going to go out into society at some point and see that our world consists of straight, and gay relationshps.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2005, 10:22 AM

I have no idea what you just said.
But trust me on this - it ain't gonna go down too well. The original poster seems to think that the UK is "socially advanced" because of this - but it's the work of a small minority of loonies which will get a lot of regular people's backs up.

To illustrate, different but similarly-thinking small minorities have been pushing racial agendas around here (affirmative action). The result? We were 17 votes away from an ultra-far-right council representative at the last election.

This is how the UK works - someone pushes, everyone bends. Someone then thinks they're onto a good thing and pushes a tiny bit harder, you get a big backlash.
ok

the US is pretty crazy too

look who we willingly voted into office

roam  (op)
Jan 21, 2005, 10:23 AM

This is how the UK works - someone pushes, everyone bends. Someone then thinks they're onto a good thing and pushes a tiny bit harder, you get a big backlash. [/B]
As opposed to just letting what "some" of society assume is the norm. and to not challenge it or develop to to a new level? Progress, we need to break a few traditions, or at least test them to see how far we have come as people. If we didn't, we'd stil be in caves.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 10:24 AM

Why not? I mean, they're going to go out into society at some point and see that our world consists of straight, and gay relationshps.
7-year olds don't need to know anything about any type of relationship.

hayesk
Jan 21, 2005, 10:27 AM

Don't insult their intelligence.

We had fire prevention week when I was a kid, but it's not like it turned us all into pyromaniacs.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by hayesk:
Oh yeah. Our 7-year-olds are all much more intelligent than our 12-year-olds.

roam  (op)
Jan 21, 2005, 10:35 AM

Why not? The most determining, and greatest effect of relationships on kids, is the one they experience every day with their parents. It's like racism, the younger they are exposed to it, the greater chance of them just following the ignorance of their family life.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2005, 10:36 AM

They don't need to know the mechanics. But there is no harm in them knowing of the existance. And of course, they will get this knowledge somehow anyway, because kids aren't completely cut off from the rest of society.

I'd prefer they get that knowledge from responsible adults than from the playground. If it is in a classroom setting you can at least to some extent control what they hear. If it is in the playground, you can't.

On the topic, I think a month long push is overdoing it. It should just be addressed naturally year round.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2005, 10:44 AM

Daddy hits mommy because you're bad.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

roberto blanco
Senior User
Jan 21, 2005, 10:45 AM

sorry, but complete and total BS. you can't teach anybody to be gay. you either are, or you aren't.

best we educate young people about how sexuality works, before they start walking around spewing unfounded garbage that homosexuality is merely an "irresponsible and unhealthy lifestyle choice"...

life results from the non-random survival of randomly varying replicators - r. dawkins

dcolton
Banned
Jan 21, 2005, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by hayesk:

We had fire prevention week when I was a kid, but it's not like it turned us all into pyromaniacs.
IS this gay prevention month or gay indoctrination month?
Bravo for the UK and the English gays...their agenda to legiotimize poor behavior to children is under way.

I predict a STD epedemic in the UK,

busterhide
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2005, 11:34 AM

TEXAS_
A father watched his daughter playing in the garden._ He smiled as he reflected on how sweet and innocent his little girl was._ Suddenly she just stopped and stared at the ground._ He went over to her and noticed she was looking at two spiders mating._
"Daddy, what are those two spiders doing?" she asked._ "They're mating," her father replied."_ What do you call the spider on top, Daddy?" she asked._
"That's a Daddy Longlegs."_ Her father answered.
"So, the other one is Mommy Longlegs?" the little girl asked._ "No," her father replied._ "Both of them are Daddy Longlegs.

"The little girl thought for a moment, then took her foot and stomped them flat and said: "Well, it might be okay in California or New York - but we're not having any of that mess in Texas."_

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 12:54 PM

Anyone who goes out of his way to attack gay people has issues with their own sexuality that they are in denial about, masking this denial with an attack on others.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by NYCFarmboy:
Anyone who goes out of his way to attack gay people has issues with their own sexuality that they are in denial about, masking this denial with an attack on others.
1) Who's attacking gay people?
2) What's this got to do with the rest of the thread?

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 01:57 PM

1) Who's attacking gay people?
2) What's this got to do with the rest of the thread?

Originally posted by dcolton:
IS this gay prevention month or gay indoctrination month?
Bravo for the UK and the English gays...their agenda to legiotimize poor behavior to children is under way.

I predict a STD epedemic in the UK,

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by busterhide:
TEXAS
Hee hee.

bubblewrap
Senior User
Jan 21, 2005, 02:56 PM

In honor of Gay History Month, I bought my wife The L Word DVD set.
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by bubblewrap:
In honor of heterosexual male lust, I bought myself the L Word DVD set.
Fixed™

bubblewrap
Senior User
Jan 21, 2005, 03:27 PM

I bought her the entire 3 seasons of QAF too. Knucklehead.
Take one more swipe at me.
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

John Q. Smith
Jan 21, 2005, 04:02 PM

Why don't they have Scottish History Month? Like gays, the Scottish are socially unacceptable, stigmatized, and they do naughty things that most people wouldn't dream of (like eating fried mars bars). Perhaps a month devoted to pretending that Scottish history counts for something would make the English more tolerant!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2005, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
They don't need to know the mechanics. But there is no harm in them knowing of the existance. And of course, they will get this knowledge somehow anyway, because kids aren't completely cut off from the rest of society.

I'd prefer they get that knowledge from responsible adults than from the playground. If it is in a classroom setting you can at least to some extent control what they hear. If it is in the playground, you can't.

On the topic, I think a month long push is overdoing it. It should just be addressed naturally year round.
I agree 100% No need to have a month...

SimeyTheLimey for President 2008!

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2005, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
SimeyTheLimey for President 2008!
Does this mean I have to kiss babies, and hang out in Iowa in winter? Ugh!

Mafia
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 05:08 PM

when can i celebrate white heterosexual history month.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by Mafia:
when can i celebrate white heterosexual history month.
All year long, baby.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 06:22 PM

well the population in the UK will not get any higher
Signature depreciated.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2005, 11:16 PM

Word.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 22, 2005, 04:18 AM

Gay History Month? WTF?

From tooki's web dictionary:

gay history, noun. see: HISTORY OF MAN
tooki

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2005, 06:36 AM

We dont need a gay day, we dont need a blacks day we dont need a womans day. There are not enough days in a year to cater to every one.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2005, 10:10 AM

John Q. Smith
Jan 22, 2005, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by lil'babykitten:
please, keep your homophobia to yourself

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2005, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by John Q. Smith:
LBK (known "Leftie") is a homophobe? You're kidding, right?

IMO, no, 7 y/o kids don't need to know anything about "relationships". That's a bit early... Maybe around 10-12. I wouldn't have a "gay history month" either. Sexuality has importance, but I wouldn't hammer such things into a kid's mind for 30 days.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2005, 12:41 PM

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2005, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
IMO, no, 7 y/o kids don't need to know anything about "relationships". That's a bit early... Maybe around 10-12.
7 isn't too early. There are several kids I know who needed to know in a general sense younger than that. My neices and nephews, friends kids, and so on. Many kids come across homosexuals just as a regular part of their lives. They aren't stupid, and they aren't unaware when they meet a couple. They ask questions and deserve an honest, age-appropriate answer.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2005, 01:57 PM

Young people deserve honest answers, whether they're seven or 12. Those who don't want to give them honest answers avoid the issue because of their own discomforts in talking about something that is an innate part of every human's being, and they haven't yet figured out how to deal with the issue themselves.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2005, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
7 isn't too early. There are several kids I know who needed to know in a general sense younger than that. My neices and nephews, friends kids, and so on. Many kids come across homosexuals just as a regular part of their lives. They aren't stupid, and they aren't unaware when they meet a couple. They ask questions and deserve an honest, age-appropriate answer.
Simey is right. These are teaching opportunities for young kids. Kids ARE going to ask questions so I see it as a chance for a parent to teach a child a new lesson. And regardless, they WILL learn a lesson from the experience one way or another. They either learn something new and different about the world or they learn that there are certain topics that make their parents uncomfortable.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2005, 02:19 PM

I'm with Karl, Simey, and dcmd that it's reasonable to help kids figure out who is who. I also would love it if my (hypothetical) kid came home from school one day with a handout:

Contributions of Gay People Throughout History
that talked about Alexander The Great, Walt Whitman, Virginia Woolf, Oscar Wilde, Alan Turing, etc. etc.

Now it would be nicer if school just incidentally mentioned the sexuality of these people while telling their life stories. But it probably helps everybody, gay and straight, to have this kind of thing pointed out a little more directly, at least for the next 50 years or so until we have a decent society.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2005, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by John Q. Smith:
Please, stop posting.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2005, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by Mithras:

Contributions of Gay People Throughout History
that talked about Alexander The Great, Walt Whitman, Virginia Woolf, Oscar Wilde, Alan Turing, etc. etc.
Don't forget Abe Lincoln....the original Log Cabin Republican

http://www.laweekly.com/ink/04/49/news-ireland.php
( Last edited by NYCFarmboy; Jan 22, 2005 at 02:37 PM. )

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2005, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
IMO, no, 7 y/o kids don't need to know anything about "relationships". That's a bit early... Maybe around 10-12. I wouldn't have a "gay history month" either. Sexuality has importance, but I wouldn't hammer such things into a kid's mind for 30 days.
I agree except I think 10 is still too young for kids to be thinking about relationships or sex. Why can't kids be allowed to have a childhood anymore? They're learning about this stuff at a much earlier age than they did a few years ago. Why? to compensate for the rise in teenage pregnancies? What a stupid way to go about dealing with the problem. Maybe if thongs and padded bras for 8 year olds weren't on sale in the shops such young kids wouldn't even be thinking about sex.

I'm of the same opinion whether we're talking about general sex education or 'gay history month'. So get bent 'John Smith', I think gay couples have just as much right to be miserable as everyone else.

Forum Links
Forum Rules