Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Comments on the New iMac Graphics Card

Comments on the New iMac Graphics Card
PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2007, 12:02 PM

I'm wondering what the current of thought is on the new Graphics Card in the higher end iMacs just released. I'll be purchasing a 24 inch model today from my local Apple Store. It will be a 2.8 if they have one or a 2.4 if they don't. I'm upgrading from a 2.0 G5 20 inch that was top of the line when I purchased it in May of 2005.

I'm moving up from the ATI Radeon 9600 (the one legged version if I recall) with 128mb of video ram. As such I'm sure this will be a big step up. I'm not really a gamer though I do own the latest version of Age of Empires III (love that historical stuff AND CONTROLLING THE WORLD!) plus I have a couple of WWII FPS games around somewhere.

I've also read MacWorlds mini test comparing the new and old machines. They seem to infer that the new graphics processors leave room for growth in the future. I'm wondering if the iMac is utilizing all the GPU has to offer.

Any thoughts out there?

PeteWK

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2007, 01:06 PM

The HD 2000 series has been a disaster since launch, and releasing it in the iMac hasn't changed that. I'd take the previous 2.3/7600GT iMac on refurb if you can find it over the new iMac. Aside from WoW (slight advantage to the new iMac), the previous version is faster at every game that Barefeats benchmarked (part 1, part 2) in both OS X and Windows.

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2007, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by PeteWK View Post
I'm wondering what the current of thought is on the new Graphics Card in the higher end iMacs just released. I'll be purchasing a 24 inch model today from my local Apple Store. It will be a 2.8 if they have one or a 2.4 if they don't.
If you want the 2.8 you have to CTO that one from Apple's online store. They don't sell that config at the brick and mortar stores.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2007, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by hldan View Post
If you want the 2.8 you have to CTO that one from Apple's online store. They don't sell that config at the brick and mortar stores.
That's strange. The 2.8 GHz model is offered as one of four standard configs on the online Apple Store. I would have expected brick and mortar Apple stores to have at least a few on stock.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2007, 03:06 PM

I suggest you try one in an Apple store or whatever, and read the other threads that talk about this already.
Theres an awful lot of negative press about for these, but im not convinced its entirely justified myself. So far its dealt very well with everything i've thrown at it.

I wouldn't complain, if it wasn't for the fact the damn thing locks up quite regularly on many graphically demanding apps.

From what I have read and experienced myself, the graphics drivers are currently half baked. Apple really needs to get an update out for these, pronto.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2007, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
That's strange. The 2.8 GHz model is offered as one of four standard configs on the online Apple Store. I would have expected brick and mortar Apple stores to have at least a few on stock.
No Simon, I went to 3 of the Apple retail stores as I live in the SF Bay area in California where the majority of the Apple stores reside. Every store said the 2.8 is only available through the online store. I called Apple to order it through my company to get a discount and they said the same thing, the 2.8 is considered a CTO even if you don't alter the config. My guess is because the 2.8 CPU is exclusive to Apple and there may be limited supply so the online store is the only option.

Forum Links
Forum Rules