Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > PowerMac picture thread

PowerMac picture thread (Page 23)
Leonis
Senior User
Apr 16, 2004, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by D'Espice:
Nice Leonis, that's an environment I could be willing to work in Although the Action figures kinda freak me out...
Well, the action figures are just the start of "freaking you out"

What I did show is the other side of my office room.....full of packing boxes (G5, desk, monitor, speakers, tablet, file cabinet, etc)......they are all stacked from ground to the ceiling
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 05:01 AM

Originally posted by Leonis:
Well, the action figures are just the start of "freaking you out"

What I did show is the other side of my office room.....full of packing boxes (G5, desk, monitor, speakers, tablet, file cabinet, etc)......they are all stacked from ground to the ceiling
Maybe you should get rid of those... keeping your old boxes is so last week!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2004, 07:29 AM

Updated pict! This one's worth looking at
( Last edited by Link; Apr 21, 2004 at 09:50 PM. )
Aloha

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2004, 07:30 AM

Originally posted by D'Espice:
Maybe you should get rid of those... keeping your old boxes is so last week!
You should see our garage. 1/4 of it is stacked to the ceiling with boxes
Aloha

Peder Rice
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2004, 01:09 AM

http://homepage.mac.com/rice_web/PhotoAlbum2.html

Wow, I love iPhoto now. That took just a few seconds to go from Zire 71, iPhoto, and Web.

prolix
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2004, 02:08 PM

well, i recently moved. here's a pico of my desk in the new place. its still a work in progress. i moved into a loft so basically its one huge ass room, still figuring out the best furniture arrangement.

http://www.prolix21.com/photos/misc/desk-4-27-04.jpg
( Last edited by prolix; Apr 27, 2004 at 02:44 PM. )

magicbbird
Apr 28, 2004, 12:29 AM

Hello, just a quick question for user who put their Mac on top of the desk. Do you find the fan noise annoying, or is it quiet enough that don't bother you at all?

I am using a PB, which spoils me of having almost noiseless computing. I am thinking of getting a G5, and wonder if I would ever get used to the fan noise again.

Your opinion and experience is appreciated.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2004, 12:41 AM

I have the loudest mac ever made, the dual MDD, and I added a second optical drive as well as 2 additional hard drives. It makes noise thats for sure but it doesn't really disturb me since Ialways listen to music when working and have it set to spin down the hard drives when not in use. The basement of my dorm is a computer lab that has G5's which I have been using more recently. They are all on the desk (like my MDD) but they are silent compared to the dells on the other side of the room. The only time I can hear their fans is when I restart one of them and even then only for about two full seconds.

So to answer your question directly, no I don't find it annoying, but I have never used a quite mac in a quite environment. The noise the computer makes is also dependant on what you are doing with the machine. If its just Word and Web there is no reason for the fans to spin up, if its photoshop and final cut pro, it will be making more noise.

Also, just to add, I had my MDD under my desk last year in the dorm and found that it was louder this way. The reduced air circulation made the fans spin more often and the wood desk must have echoed and amplified those sounds. This year I put my MDD on my desk not b/c I care about noise (I'm listening to music) but because I wanted more of the PC users here to see what a real computer looks like instead of having it hidden.

Hope my rambling post helps.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2004, 07:31 AM

Originally posted by prolix:
well, i recently moved. here's a pico of my desk in the new place. its still a work in progress. i moved into a loft so basically its one huge ass room, still figuring out the best furniture arrangement.

http://www.prolix21.com/photos/misc/desk-4-27-04.jpg
You have the same taste in curtains as my wife. heh heh

prolix
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2004, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by driven:
You have the same taste in curtains as my wife. heh heh
yeah, I'm still figuring out what to do with the windows here. they are 109"x50" so its not like I can just go buy something for them very easily

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2004, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by prolix:
yeah, I'm still figuring out what to do with the windows here. they are 109"x50" so its not like I can just go buy something for them very easily
You'll have to get something custom made most likely. (That's what *I* finally had to do.) It ain't cheap though ....

magicbbird
Apr 28, 2004, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by SSharon:
I have the loudest mac ever made, the dual MDD, and I added a second optical drive as well as 2 additional hard drives. It makes noise thats for sure but it doesn't really disturb me since Ialways listen to music when working and have it set to spin down the hard drives when not in use. The basement of my dorm is a computer lab that has G5's which I have been using more recently. They are all on the desk (like my MDD) but they are silent compared to the dells on the other side of the room. The only time I can hear their fans is when I restart one of them and even then only for about two full seconds.

So to answer your question directly, no I don't find it annoying, but I have never used a quite mac in a quite environment. The noise the computer makes is also dependant on what you are doing with the machine. If its just Word and Web there is no reason for the fans to spin up, if its photoshop and final cut pro, it will be making more noise.

Also, just to add, I had my MDD under my desk last year in the dorm and found that it was louder this way. The reduced air circulation made the fans spin more often and the wood desk must have echoed and amplified those sounds. This year I put my MDD on my desk not b/c I care about noise (I'm listening to music) but because I wanted more of the PC users here to see what a real computer looks like instead of having it hidden.

Hope my rambling post helps.
Thanks for your info. I do use my computer in a quiet room, and I don't listen to music too often, therefore fan noise can be annoying to me for a long period of time. I used to have MDD as well, but got really sick of the noise I sold it and get a PB. However, getting a G5 is more future-proof, it is no point to get a slightly faster G4 PB for upgrade....decision, decision.

Anyone has experience using G5 in a quiet room?

Thanks again.

prolix
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2004, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by magicbbird:
Thanks for your info. I do use my computer in a quiet room, and I don't listen to music too often, therefore fan noise can be annoying to me for a long period of time. I used to have MDD as well, but got really sick of the noise I sold it and get a PB. However, getting a G5 is more future-proof, it is no point to get a slightly faster G4 PB for upgrade....decision, decision.

Anyone has experience using G5 in a quiet room?

Thanks again.
My g5 is super quiet. I don't even know its running (I leave it on 24/7). I live in a loft so everything is pretty much in the same living space and I don't even notice the G5 is on. The g5's fan's do spool up a bit under load but its rare. Even when I was running seti the fans were still quiet. Tons quieter than any PC I've ever had

cliffom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2004, 11:44 PM

Just wanted to post pics of my just arrived 3.5TB XRaid. The Xserve won't ship until June 21st, but the specs on that are a Dual 2.0Ghz G5 with 4gb of RAM.

http://www.cliffom.net/index.php?nod...-03-2004-XRaid

thetman
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2004, 10:47 PM

beautiful cliffom

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 5, 2004, 11:31 PM

Sex. Pure sex.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Splintered_Mind
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2004, 02:39 AM

Originally posted by cliffom:
Just wanted to post pics of my just arrived 3.5TB XRaid. The Xserve won't ship until June 21st, but the specs on that are a Dual 2.0Ghz G5 with 4gb of RAM.

http://www.cliffom.net/index.php?nod...-03-2004-XRaid
Nice magazine collection in pic 007
"I don't know whether I'm alive and dreaming or dead and remembering."

17" 1GHz PB G4

chiara
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2004, 05:55 PM

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 10, 2004, 07:08 PM

Seems like a wholesome educational read
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2004, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by chiara:
Link is broken for me...

willab
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2004, 08:33 PM

The keyboard has been replaced since this was taken.
( Last edited by willab; Sep 27, 2004 at 05:18 PM. )
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 10, 2004, 09:12 PM

Have you thought about buying a $1 can of white spray paint and painting it?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

willab
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2004, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
Have you thought about buying a $1 can of white spray paint and painting it?
It is a borrowed key. I am hoping someone has a white key they'll sell. If not I'll buy a new keyboard. I can't decide what kind though.
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 10, 2004, 09:24 PM

Well, if you end up having to grab another keyboard, please don't get another Pro Keyboard. They're nice, but they're not worth the price.

That said, I think you should take a look at Logitech's keyboards. Every Logitech keyboard I have ever used has been very solid and felt very good to type on. Plus, Logitech prints the Mac-specific key symbols on the keys. So, they acknowledge us a little more than most keyboard manufacturers.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

teknik
Forum Regular
May 12, 2004, 05:55 PM

I got my G5!! Dual 1.8ghz 1gb RAM, BT, 9600, 17 inch Studio Display

Needless to say, I love it!

EDIT: I'm going to tidy up the cables this weekend, and take the photo over with some non-foggy window lighting!
( Last edited by teknik; May 12, 2004 at 11:33 PM. )

driven
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2004, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by teknik:

I got my G5!! Dual 1.8ghz 1gb RAM, BT, 9600, 17 inch Studio Display

Needless to say, I love it!
Congrats!! Enjoy!

I'll get one myself one day if I ever stop working these 16 hour days so I can be home long enough to enjoy it.

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 12, 2004, 07:22 PM

That's such a neat and tidy setup, especially with the iBook tucked away. I really would love a setup this simple and clean sometimes, especially because it gives me more space in my room, but then again I love my big desk when I got lots to do. Has to be thrown in my top five fav setups so far.

tramahound
Mac Enthusiast
May 13, 2004, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
That's such a neat and tidy setup, especially with the iBook tucked away. I really would love a setup this simple and clean sometimes, especially because it gives me more space in my room, but then again I love my big desk when I got lots to do. Has to be thrown in my top five fav setups so far.
I don't know, it is tidy, but I'd have to take points off for those cables showing on the floor and the mussed up bed...

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2004, 12:34 PM

I got a new office today, complete with a 1.8 g5 and a 20 inch cinema display. My dream job come true for now. My powerbook looks tiny compared to everything though.

Sorry for the bad pics, I'll post better ones in a couple of days when I get a chance to finish everything up.

Fusion's new studio -->

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 19, 2004, 07:55 PM

I'm surprised by the number of G5 owners who leave the door off. I would too.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Azzgunther
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2004, 07:05 PM

Link
Professional Poster
May 26, 2004, 07:08 PM

Looking good, azz
Aloha

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 26, 2004, 07:30 PM

Good point tramahound, I also just noticed that the keyboard is far too much to the left of the monitor, I dont think I could handle that. Drops to top 25 now.

Dimitri
May 26, 2004, 08:34 PM

Link
Professional Poster
May 26, 2004, 10:32 PM

Now that is just cramped
Aloha

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 26, 2004, 10:56 PM

It really isn't necessary to comment on every picture Link.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Dimitri
May 26, 2004, 11:28 PM

Yeah, but it's true. I plan on swinging that file cabinet outside the desk and putting the printer on so I have more desk space.

trancepriest
Forum Regular
May 27, 2004, 06:47 PM

Dimitri,

Whats the specs on your processor... dual or single.. 1.6, 1.8, 1.8dp, 2.0dp? Are those a spindle of mini CD's?

Dimitri
May 27, 2004, 10:52 PM

This may narrow it down some. It's a dual 1.8. And yes, that's a spindle of mini cdr's. I use those to submit my programs for class, since I don't have a floppy drive anymore.

Link
Professional Poster
May 28, 2004, 12:19 AM

haha sorry if I came off meanly there... cool setup
Aloha

TheMosco
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 01:48 PM

My Newest setup, not much different than a some pages ago, except now i have a shiny new 1.5Ghz/512MB/128MB Radeon/80G 5400RPM/SuperDrive powerbook G4.

Setup:

Wide View:
AXP
ΔΣΦ

nshank
May 29, 2004, 01:43 AM

I see so many pc's on the floor next to the mac's. Why? Foot-rests? Wait, I'm even more guilty, I have one on my desk... d'oh... (but I still have my db g4-500, too
Nick
Primary: Windtunnel (MDD) 1.25DP, 2G DDR, 128M Radeon 9000 Pro (PC Mod, have the original 64M Mac one for GP), Combo drive,
2x NEC 4X DVD-RW's, 2x Seagate 120G, 2x IBM 9.1G U2W in RAID 1, 2x Samsung 191T+ LCD's

Link
Professional Poster
May 31, 2004, 09:59 PM

I always wanted to post a pict of my setup with the tv

Those boxes seem to always have a use in my setup.. I tried to get rid of them but they keep coming back!!

Eh I'll put them back tomorrow though.. gotta get some work done this week and don't need the game systems begging for me to play with em...

Yes I've had a girlfriend, and yes I have a life
Aloha

mac_addict415
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2004, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by Fellow2000:
I got a new office today, complete with a 1.8 g5 and a 20 inch cinema display. My dream job come true for now. My powerbook looks tiny compared to everything though.

Sorry for the bad pics, I'll post better ones in a couple of days when I get a chance to finish everything up.

Fusion's new studio -->

What kind of speakers are those?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2004, 02:21 AM

As posted in the Lounge.

Florida's Video Setup (3MB MP4)

Seen in video (shot with iSight):

In order of appearance...
� Apple 17" ADC CRT
� Apple "Pro" Speakers
� Logitech Gaming Pad
� Macally iKey Keyboard
� Microsoft IntelliMouse
� Xicons.com Mousepad
� Green Shirt As Printer Cover
� Canon i860
� (Temporary gaming setup) Samsung GX Gaming TV (Metroid Prime being demoed for your pleasure)
� Indigo GameCube
� Spice Controller
� (Temporary music-making setup) Midiman USB Converter Thingy
� Miditech MIDI Keyboard
� Dual 800 G4 Power Mac
� Dual 800 G5 Power Mac CD-RW Tray
� (In background) Air Conditioner
� Cat (Mah boy, Shiver, irritated that I woke him up)
� Close up pixels from monitor

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2004, 04:47 AM

Originally posted by mac_addict415:
What kind of speakers are those?
I also want to know it , they look really nice.

krassy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2004, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by Azzgunther:
My setup after the new Samsung LCD arrived.
that thing is great .. is it the 172X? i have one of those too and will buy a new one when i get my g5 to use it with two of them side by side (dual G5 = dual display)

hehe

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2004, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by Azzgunther:
My setup after the new Samsung LCD arrived.
Wow. I absolutely love the Samsung SyncMaster 172x. It looks like it was made for the Al PowerBooks. I'm going to get a new TFT for my 12" PB at home this summer. If Apple doen't update the 20" StudioDisplay by then I will buy this screen.

I see the 172x comes with DVI and VGA input. Can anybody tell me if I can switch between the two inputs on the fly?

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2004, 03:22 PM

I know this is a picture thread, but just a tiny piece of opinion...

When apple's products are "made for" 3rd party products, then you know apple's design team has taken a dive
Aloha

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2004, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by angelmb:
I also want to know it , they look really nice.
They are just the default speakers that came with the mini system sitting next to them with the cloth grill pulled off. Nothing special.

Forum Links
Forum Rules