Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > A rather positive G4 iMac thread...

A rather positive G4 iMac thread...
nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2002, 03:22 AM

I was rather distraught here recently when the new iMac was released and people slowly started to post their woes. I got mine this morning, and I've been slowly but surely installing and tweaking to get it like my old iMac. I've done most everything I did with my old Blueberry 350mhz, and the new iMac hasn't hiccupped once.
I just wanted to open a thread for positive feedback about the new G4 iMac. I have not experienced any of the problems, so far, that others are posting. No dead pixels. No screen ghosting. No dead screens. No Superdrive problems. No speaker popping.
None.
Nada.
Zip.
Zilch.
So, who else is as pleased with their new iMac as I am? Come on, I know I can't possibly be the only one! Hopefully, my luck has changed from that of old. I finally have something asthetically pleasing as well as fast and seemingly reliable...

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2002, 03:35 AM

Though both of my new DVD-burning iMacs have dead pixels, both machines are performing satisfactorily.

It's not a problem that most people post problems. People who are happy with their new machines aren't normally posting on a support and troubleshooting forum but actually using their new computers.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2002, 03:37 AM

Sorry to break it to you, but your machine does have issues with screen ghosting. All iMacs do. We're running outdated, 50-millisecond LCD panels. The viewing angle on these displays isn't nearly as good as the viewing angle on Apple's Studio monitors, either.

Theresa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2002, 10:07 AM

I have to agree with the original poster, I'm very pleased with my new toy. I'm not a techo-person, but for my needs, it goes above and beyond - and the styling is a knockout.

As for the screen, I luckily have no dead pixels, and realize that compromises were made with this machine. Apple clearly wanted to make an affordable machine (even a diehard pc friend of mine admitted it's a super value for all you get here), so the top of the line display could not be part of it. This is not the machine for those to whom that is important. They need to pay about $1000 (not absolutely sure about that figure) just for the display, and most of us would not have been willing or able to add another $600 to $700 to the pricetag of this machine.

Me, I think this is the best Apple value yet. And as an Apple stockholder, I'm thrilled at this new design innovation. I feel, as usual, Apple is a leader.
; ) ; ) ; )

red44dog44
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2002, 10:45 AM

I too have meen using mine since I received it on Feb 4th Not a single problem. Old one was a revA imac This is a great step up for me.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2002, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
<STRONG> The viewing angle on these displays isn't nearly as good as the viewing angle on Apple's Studio monitors, either.</STRONG>
Oh please. Do you own one? The LCD side viewing angle is awesome and I don't use my computer while standing up.

If you don't like it use a PC LCD monitor, they are shit.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Joost
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2002, 01:16 PM

For what it's worth, the iMac LCD is appreciably better than the new Hitachi LCDs my company uses for its PCs. There is a ghosting effect on the iMac LCD when you move windows rapidly or do fast text scrolls -- can't say it bothers me in the slightest. It also happens, in much more irritating fashion, on the Hitachi panels. And I've no issues with the display for games.

The new iMac has exceeded my expectations. It is the mutt's nuts.
He that will eat the kernel must crack the nut.

macthelastredman
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2002, 04:38 PM

its a great machine and i love mine...oh its true its true
iMac G4 800mhz 768 ram OS X (10.1.5) & iPod 5gb

IceCaves
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2002, 05:09 PM

Hi,

I got mine on 2/26 and I am loving it. No dead pixels. I LOVE the flat panel! I have 3 iMacs (including this one) and I spend all day on them and my eye strain was getting unbearable lately, now it is gone! I spent all day yesterday doing accounting and this usually wipes me out between eyestrain and posture / body fatigue. Between the non-flicker flat panel and the adjustable screen, I was still going strong at the end of the day. I am very impressed with this machine. It was not untill yesterday evening that I actually booted to OS 9 for the first time to install Premeire and Photoshop. and all my other classic apps. Also, I was amazed at how quiet it runs. I also have the iMac DV fanless model and it is quiet, but I put in a bigger HD and it runs noisy. The G4 iMac runs more quiet even with the fan.

-Jeff

nigeljedi  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2002, 10:19 PM

Ok, I guess I was counting on some sort of "super-ghosting" issue, not having had an LCD before and seeing others' posts on the matter. I know a lot of LCD's have this anomaly, but it doesn't bother me in the least, and I really don't notice it on the new iMac.
As for the OS 9 thing, I am going to do my best to try not to ever boot into 9 again. I haven't so far, and don't plan on it (at least on this new iMac). I am waiting patiently for Photoshop 7, and saving for both it and Illustrator 10 to round out the app collection. I still have to use both on my iBook, but this iMac will hopefully be my first "OS 9 free" Mac.
::crossing fingers::
Still lovin' it, though. I spent all day importing music and arranging it how I meant to on both my previous Macs. So far, I have 236 songs/1.46GB worth of music...far more than I wanted to clutter my tiny iBook 10GB HD with! Had a little trouble with the Superdrive ejecting the second to last CD (out of nearly 20) after the import, though.

[ 03-06-2002: Message edited by: nigeljedi ]

HouseSold
Senior User
Mar 7, 2002, 01:27 AM

Apple Store delivered pretty quick compared to some others.

The screen is bright and very readable; no dead pixels.

Added extra 512mb memory for $139 from DMS; made noticeable speedup difference.

Occaisionally the fan resonates annoyingly (variable speed) with either the cooling ports or the hard drive spinning or both. I haven't been able to isolate this droning sound that seems to occur more after warm, longer run times. Of course sleep stops this sound. If the hard drive spins down from inactivity, the resonant sound changes; that is why I think it may involve fan and hard drive.

BTW: Those of you with G4 Powerbooks and iBooks please share how your screen brightness compares. I have a G4 Powerbook (rev 1) that the screen is unacceptably dim at full brightness next to the iMac G4. Is there a way to tweak (increase) the brightness?

I did add a layer of plastic wrap to avoid dust and fingerprints on the iMac. Invisible and works great, especially with the clear screen surround.

Any explanations appreciated.

Thanks to all and enjoy your dynamite product, iMac G4.

Armando
Mar 7, 2002, 01:45 AM

My iMac G4 has also been flawless. No dead pixels. It's working like a charm and I find any excuse to use it instead of my PC. I have decided to move my finances to Quicken 2002 on the MAC versus using Quicken/MS Money on the PC. I'm trying to sell myself in switching to GoLive6 rather than using Dreamweaver4 on my PC, since GoLive6 for OS X recently came out. I'm just wondering if the 1024x768 will be a factor, I don't think so for, since for web development you're mostly designing pages for 800x600.

Bought a new Epson Stylus Photo 780 for $53.50 ! Looks great with my new iMac. The prints look fanastic and drivers for OS X are available.

I love my new iMac G4!

-Armando
---------------------------------------
iMac G4 800Mhz - OS 10.1.3 - 512MB RAM
http://homepage.mac.com/armando_santana

new epson printer at hsn.com - $15 off a $20 purchase coupon
Use coupon code: 309964

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2002, 02:26 AM

I have a 15" flat display sitting right next to my iMac and I don't discern any difference between the two. I haven't done a scientific analysis or anything but I fail to understand why some people (who as far as I can tell don't own one) continue to state that the iMac screen is inferior. I don't do any gaming, so I can't evaluate them on that basis, but otherwise I don't see any difference. I think it's a fabulous screen.

I have one red pixel in the upper right corner that I rarely notice (it only shows against dark backgrounds, and most of my backgrounds are light gray, so most of the time I can't even find it). OS X has been dead solid for me. Thanks in particular to the floating screen, I wouldn't trade this machine for anything.

[ 03-07-2002: Message edited by: zigzag ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules