Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Pc Haters Welcome, Come Post Your Bad Pc Experiences And Angers

Pc Haters Welcome, Come Post Your Bad Pc Experiences And Angers
AceVentura101
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2005, 02:13 AM

Hi I have an AMD and used to have 2 deal with an Intel P4

I thought this might B sumthing different and FUN,, Personally I havnt had 1 PC bug for 3 Yrs straight so theres not much 4 me to post

but its fun reading other peoples anger

( Last edited by AceVentura101; Oct 13, 2005 at 02:32 AM. )
-My System- AMD64x2 4800+2.2GHz, 1GIG Ram, nVidia 6800GT, 256MB GDDR3 VRAM, 80GIG HD, 32in Samsung LCD TV , Altec Lansing(251)5.1 sound..My VID card with DOOM3..SWEET

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 02:15 AM

I was the first person to reply to this thread.

Jacob
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2005, 02:32 AM

Good job jamil5454, maybe next time post something related to the topic..!

I work in the PC Field, so I deal with...horrible horrible PC garbage everyday, however there was this one incident in particular that stuck out from the rest....THE HP. Or (HEAP o' POO). There are many many nicknames for em. Anyhow, we fixed up this guys HP, has Windows 98SE on it, total piece of garbage, 64MB SD Memory, Celeron 500mhz or so...blah. He brings it back and drops down this huge list of 'problems' he never had before. We just told him, listen.....buddy, we're doing a fresh install and backups. It was the only way! So, we took it in the back and hooked it up. BAM! The power supply shoots out sparks at my face. Well, that things dead. I take out the power supply..and of course...it's proprietary. However, I did have a mini ATX power supply, so I threw that in..didnt exactly fit, but with some force..and inventiveness...I got it to work. I fired it up....'missing OS.' GREAT! So now the partition table was wiped because the power supply spiked it. I hooked it up to our 'virus killer.' (An independant machine where we hook up customer HDD's to remove virii/spyware and do backups). There is nothing on the drive. So I run some backup recovery. Thankfully it finds all the deleted items. Mind...you...after 8 hours later. (This was a day later). We get back his stuff....5 GB's or so. Then we have to do a fresh install of Windows 98, get the drivers, install Nero software for his burner, updates..put his data back on. Ugh, the worst thing of all is, we had to eat the labor due to the fact it was 'technically' our fault that the Power Supply died. *sighs* Nasty and horrid lil thing!
"I cluck, therefor I am."

AceVentura101  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2005, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jacob
Good job jamil5454, maybe next time post something related to the topic..!

I work in the PC Field, so I deal with...horrible horrible PC garbage everyday, however there was this one incident in particular that stuck out from the rest....THE HP. Or (HEAP o' POO). There are many many nicknames for em. Anyhow, we fixed up this guys HP, has Windows 98SE on it, total piece of garbage, 64MB SD Memory, Celeron 500mhz or so...blah. He brings it back and drops down this huge list of 'problems' he never had before. We just told him, listen.....buddy, we're doing a fresh install and backups. It was the only way! So, we took it in the back and hooked it up. BAM! The power supply shoots out sparks at my face. Well, that things dead. I take out the power supply..and of course...it's proprietary. However, I did have a mini ATX power supply, so I threw that in..didnt exactly fit, but with some force..and inventiveness...I got it to work. I fired it up....'missing OS.' GREAT! So now the partition table was wiped because the power supply spiked it. I hooked it up to our 'virus killer.' (An independant machine where we hook up customer HDD's to remove virii/spyware and do backups). There is nothing on the drive. So I run some backup recovery. Thankfully it finds all the deleted items. Mind...you...after 8 hours later. (This was a day later). We get back his stuff....5 GB's or so. Then we have to do a fresh install of Windows 98, get the drivers, install Nero software for his burner, updates..put his data back on. Ugh, the worst thing of all is, we had to eat the labor due to the fact it was 'technically' our fault that the Power Supply died. *sighs* Nasty and horrid lil thing!
LOL I JUST dont see y sum1 with sumthing like that in 2005 would even B that smart to take into a technician.. Y didnt u install XP pro???
-My System- AMD64x2 4800+2.2GHz, 1GIG Ram, nVidia 6800GT, 256MB GDDR3 VRAM, 80GIG HD, 32in Samsung LCD TV , Altec Lansing(251)5.1 sound..My VID card with DOOM3..SWEET

rm199
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2005, 04:25 AM

'Pc Haters Welcome, Come Post Your Bad Pc Experiences And Angers'

Definitely have some of those - crashes twice a day if the machine is pushed hard, once every two days if just coasting along. Unusual slowdowns, hangs and system disks filling up. Some kind of networking problem where servers can no longer be viewed if more than 1Gb is transferred in one go.

Oh whoops that is one of my macs - the PC I've hired to work on while I troubleshoot the mac is fabulous. I don't care for the interface much however if I just stay in an app it is fine.

AceVentura101  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2005, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by rm199
'Pc Haters Welcome, Come Post Your Bad Pc Experiences And Angers'

Definitely have some of those - crashes twice a day if the machine is pushed hard, once every two days if just coasting along. Unusual slowdowns, hangs and system disks filling up. Some kind of networking problem where servers can no longer be viewed if more than 1Gb is transferred in one go.

Oh whoops that is one of my macs - the PC I've hired to work on while I troubleshoot the mac is fabulous. I don't care for the interface much however if I just stay in an app it is fine.
LOL Thats unusual for a mac... How old is it?? your not talking about those G3's are you? THEY SuCKED..
on the same hand Back then there was Windows 98se witch was a BASTERD to work with, our school computers are Celeron 2.0Ghz and are still running 98 because of the Curriculum Server

jæd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2005, 05:50 AM

I've got nothing against PCS -- just Windows. Everything that I do on Xp seems to take twice as long. Perhaps its the anti-spyware/virus stuff in the background... And it always crashes every few days... Oh, and not forgetting all the advertising that you're subjected to if you use aol, msn or ie..

P
Oct 13, 2005, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by AceVentura101
LOL I JUST dont see y sum1 with sumthing like that in 2005 would even B that smart to take into a technician.. Y didnt u install XP pro???
Because a 64 MB machine doesn't actually run XP very well? Have a 1 GHz P3 (no Celeron garbage) with 128 MB of RAM and it CRAWLS. Oh, and because licenses aren't exactly free, and the upgrade from 98 to XP Pro is among the pricier.

AceVentura101  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2005, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by P
Because a 64 MB machine doesn't actually run XP very well? Have a 1 GHz P3 (no Celeron garbage) with 128 MB of RAM and it CRAWLS. Oh, and because licenses aren't exactly free, and the upgrade from 98 to XP Pro is among the pricier.
WELL,, Have you herd of WIN XP Pro Corperate Version? it has only 1 CD key I dont have one personally but you can get em, Sumtimes 4 free

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2005, 02:01 PM

Some of the paint has chipped off the left mouse key on my Dell.
Sometimes the wifi indicator LED turns off, even when wifi is still on and working. I think it's a sleeping issue.

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2005, 02:25 PM

Between my PB not waking from sleep consistently (and not being able to wake it nor turn it off for 10+ minutes via power button or battery), and the chirping issues on my PowerMac G5, I've had more problems with my Macs than my PC's, hardware wise.

At least on the PC end, if something goes wrong, i can go buy a replacement part that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg.
( Last edited by mhuie; Oct 13, 2005 at 02:34 PM. )
MBP 1.83

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2005, 02:53 PM

I've really had no horrible experience with PC's or Windows. Yes, there's are huge virus/spyware issues with windows, but stability of 2k and xp are fine.

Sorry, while I do prefer OSX and think its design, implementation and usability is superior, windows works.

Mike

RayK
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2005, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by AceVentura101
WELL,, Have you herd of WIN XP Pro Corperate Version? it has only 1 CD key I dont have one personally but you can get em, Sumtimes 4 free
What is wrong with you? The guy said he was a PC tech. This means he either owns or works for a business. Why would he give something away for free when he is trying to make money? Also, in charging for the service and him installing WinXP Corp he is doing something VERY illegal. It'll be all sorts of fines and loss of job etc. if he did that. Piracy may be viewed as OK by you or your friends but that does not mean it is right or legal.
Macbook Pro 2.33 C2D Stock
3G iPod 40GB
3.4 Ghz P IV, 2GB RAM, X800 XT AIW, XP Pro, Dell 2405FPW

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 13, 2005, 03:49 PM

The Power Mac forum is for discussing Power Macs and Power Mac specific issues. This doesn't have anything to do with Power Macs.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules