Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 is near it's end. Help me decide!

G4 is near it's end. Help me decide!
andyp807
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2005, 02:08 PM

I have a PowerMac G4 Dual 800MHz (QuickSilver) and it is very near the end of its life. I am big into movie editing (Final Cut Studio is on it's way directly from the UW Bookstore) and my 80GB + 120GB hard drives are not doing the trick any more. Also, waiting for that Dual 800MHz speed to render is starting to get on my nerves. Not only that, the finder is having weird issues, even after completerly reinstalling the OS. All users have this finder problem. It's very hard to explain. Also, the 20" Apple Monitor is always a few pixles off until you manually change the resolution and then change it back. By this i mean the picture is shifted about 5 pixles to the left on the top 5 lines. It is very annoying.

We will get a new computer soon. What I want to know is this.

Will the PowerIntelMac be faster at rendering and editing than the PowerMac G5 Quad?

If I can make this G4 live until the PowerIntelMac comes out, do you think it would be worth it?

I guess my basic question is. Should I wait for the PowerIntelMac or go for a PowerMac G5 Quad?

Thanks!

Al G
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2005, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by andyp807
Will the PowerIntelMac be faster at rendering and editing than the PowerMac G5 Quad?
Not until it actually exists. Maybe the more important question is when will the PowerIntelMac be produced? No one knows for sure but the evidence suggests the PowerMac line will be one of the last to go Intel, perhaps not until 2007.
Your Mac could help understand and cure disease

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2005, 06:29 PM

Yes, but it probably won't be available for 18-24 months.

power142
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2005, 09:46 PM

You could always hedge your bets (and your cash) and go for a dual 2.0 (either dual processor or dual core) now. Compared to your dual 800, it'll feel light years faster and should keep you happy for a while.

Al G is most certainly correct - we won't know how good the Intel-based PowerMacs will be for quite some time yet, so at least until then, a quad G5 makes an awesome machine

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2005, 12:45 PM

There's little point in holding out for the Intels since it sounds like your existing system is FALLING APART now. Get something within your budget. I went from a 400 mhz G4 AGP model to a G5 dual 2.5 and I wished I'd have done it sooner (this was last June).

The reliability and speed of something along those lines will make you wonder how you make do with your old system.

A quad should last WELL into the MacIntel era and will probably be thought of as a
high watermark for PPC design in general. I'm considering one when they hit the
used market in a few years.

That being said - a dual 2.3, 2.5 and 2.7 should be plenty fast enough for
you but if you want the fastest the quad is it. For now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules