Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Safari really slow on iBook

Safari really slow on iBook
skalie
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2006, 02:59 PM

Howdy,

I brushed off the dust off my iBook today to do a bit of web surfing while my kid used my PC for a couple of games.

It seems, though, that browsing the web is like five times slower than on the PC (Firefox).

( iBook 600mhz G3, maxed out ram, Panther, Safari )

Would it be the browser? or something else?

(The iBook didn't want to run Firefox, I didn't want to spend my afternoon trying to work out why)

pat++
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2006, 03:38 PM

which PC are you comparing this poor old G3 iBook to?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2006, 03:42 PM

yer it depends if you have a super duper pc, like a P4 3.6 ghz, 1 gig RAM etc, your iBook will be MUCH slower. It also depends on how much you have on your iBooks HD. im guessing it has a 6GB hard drive in it? If so, then if you only have a gig left, that will slow you down too
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2006, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
yer it depends if you have a super duper pc, like a P4 3.6 ghz, 1 gig RAM etc, your iBook will be MUCH slower. It also depends on how much you have on your iBooks HD. im guessing it has a 6GB hard drive in it? If so, then if you only have a gig left, that will slow you down too
15 gig hard drive, but really? I thought browsing wouldn't be so processor intensive, thought it was all about the bandwidth.

Super PC? Not really, a 1.4 XP or something, running Win 2000. with three 128 sticks of ram.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2006, 05:37 PM

Oh right, well how much out of your 15 gig HD is free?
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

JoshKurtz
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2006, 06:25 PM

I thought that Panther's version of Safari was pretty slow compared to other browsers. Safari on Tiger (I think it's 2.0) is much better all around.

I never even used Safari much until Tiger came out.

Maybe Firefox wouldn't install because your hdd is full. ...Just a thought though.
iMac 17" 2GHz Core2Duo | 1GB RAM | 160GB hdd | Superdrive | Tiger and XP Pro

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2006, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Oh right, well how much out of your 15 gig HD is free?
3 and a half gigs

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2006, 07:02 PM

I got news for you. Panther's Safari is about as slow as a '68 Volkswage Bus driving up Pikes Peak. If Firefox doesn't work download Camino from Apple's website, if that doesn't work download Opera, if that doesn't work cry.

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2006, 02:37 AM

Have since re-installed Firefox, it works now, but I can't say that it's lightning fast.

Was discussing this elsewhere, and it was pointed out that page rendering is completely dependant on processor speed.

cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2006, 03:56 PM

Try Firefox, or Shiira:
http://hmdt-web.net/shiira/en

Forum Links
Forum Rules