Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMac wireless keyboard

New iMac wireless keyboard
cybermat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2007, 01:03 AM

Hi,

I am about to order the new iMac 20". I was wondering if the wireless keyboard and the wireless mighty mouse are worth the upgrade. How long do the batteries last? I know that the wireless keyboard is smaller and does not have the numeric keypad on the right. Can someone who are using both provide some comments?

Thanks for your help.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Aug 18, 2007, 01:06 AM

I am using the last generation wireless keyboard and wireless mighty mouse in combination with NiMH rechargeable batteries. I change my batteries about once a month even though the lower voltage of the rechargeable batteries (1.2v vs 1.5v) yields only 3/4 of the battery meter in System Preferences on fully charged batteries...

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2007, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by cybermat View Post
Can someone who are using both provide some comments?
I'm not sure anyone actually has one yet, have they? When I ordered mine, the wait was three to five weeks. Still waiting.

Apple claims the battery life under "normal use" is about nine months. I'm planning to use rechargeables so it won't really matter too much. Can't wait to try it out. It's going to be small! I love my MacBook keyboard so I expect I'll like the wireless keyboard too.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2007, 10:50 AM

I had the white Apple wireless keyboard. Over the course of 3 years I think I changed the batteries once - I used Duracell Ultra or some other premium battery though.

AceWilfong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2007, 12:54 AM

"ship by Oct 2, delivered by Oct 8"
Seems a bit long...or am I just being immature?

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2007, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by AceWilfong View Post
"ship by Oct 2, delivered by Oct 8"
Seems a bit long...or am I just being immature?
If you're referring to the wireless keyboard, I don't think they were quite ready when announced. When I ordered the first day, estimated shipping was three to five weeks. Apple must be getting lots of orders because if you order now, it's four to six weeks. This is a typical backlog on a new product. I see the backlog on iMacs is now five to seven days.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2007, 12:46 PM

They got FCC approval like the DAY it was announced, so it will take a few months to ramp up production.

Big Slick
Aug 25, 2007, 11:14 AM

When I ordered my system on Aug 7th, it shipped (fairly quick) with the wireless mouse and my wireless kybrd is going to ship sept 10ish.

As long as I remember to switch my wireless mouse off when I go to bed or whatever, my batt power seems ok so far. (Still at full power since receiving it 2 wks ago) I have noticed that the little recessed area where the tracking laser/sensor sit nicely collects all the cat hair/dust on my desktop.

I was wondering if the wireless kybrd has some usb ports on it - like the corded version. Will plugging any extra stuff into said usb ports drain batt power quicker?
Yes, I realize that plugging extras into the wireless kybrd kinda defeats the purpose of being wireless, but the power/usb cable on the corded kybrd is TOO SHORT to reach from the back on my 24" imac to that little kybrd shelf under the desktop. Seems to me apple was saving a few "micro-cents" by shortening the length of cable. Didn't realize copper was getting that expensive
"Good things come to those who wait, but not to those who wait too late"

P
Aug 25, 2007, 12:18 PM

I am not aware of any wireless keyboards with USB ports. Note that the keyboard doesn't use USB, it uses Bluetooth. There are ways to run USB over wireless connections, but they're done just yet, and I've never seen one in action.

Apple used to bundle USB extension cords with their keyboards - I guess that that has stopped. A quick check on Newegg shows that "USB extension cable" gives 59 hits however, at prices as low as $2. You can even get a white one, if it matters.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2007, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Apple used to bundle USB extension cords with their keyboards - I guess that that has stopped.
The new keyboard they sent me the day before yesterday came with the USB extension cable. Do they really not ship the extension cable with the iMac?

And BTW the extension cable's plug still has the stupid little ridge which prevents you from using it with anything else than their keyboard.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2007, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
The new keyboard they sent me the day before yesterday came with the USB extension cable. Do they really not ship the extension cable with the iMac?

And BTW the extension cable's plug still has the stupid little ridge which prevents you from using it with anything else than their keyboard.
I looked all through the box for one, and nope, not there, so I used my old one. Yep, still notched.

My desk is such that I have a hole to thread the keyboard cable to the back of my machine under the desk. The keyboard sits on a keyboard drawer, and without the extension, there's no way this would work. I'd have to thread the cable under the CPU, and it would get pinched when I close the keyboard drawer.

Don't be cheap now, Apple. Either lengthen the cable or provide the extension.

Big Slick
Aug 25, 2007, 06:59 PM

Oops, my bad. I just assumed that the wireless keyboard had little usb jacks like the corded one that came with my imac. Sorry about that.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2007, 07:13 PM

i got the new keyboard (while i wait, alas, for the wireless); i used the usb ext that came with it for another peripheral, no problem..! seems to be a standard usb extension...

my wireless should be here "oct3"...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
i got the new keyboard (while i wait, alas, for the wireless); i used the usb ext that came with it for another peripheral, no problem..! seems to be a standard usb extension...
I don't know what kind of USB plug you put in there, but mine are usually rectangular.

Now the Apple keyboards come with a USB plug that has a little groove on one side. The Apple USB extension cable has a little ridge allowing you to insert only a plug that has this little groove.

You can see the ridge on the right side.

I have never seen any other peripheral than the Apple keyboard come with such a groove. IOW I can only use the Apple extension cable with the Apple keyboard.

Big Slick
Aug 26, 2007, 01:59 AM

I didn't get an extension cable with my $3000cdn imac. Should one have come with my system? Since I don't have any other systems (that use usb extensions), will a generic extension cable do?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 02:06 AM

It appears although Apple includes the extension cable with the keyboard when you buy it as a stand alone item, they don't ship it with the new iMac.

The good news is any generic USB extension cable will do the job.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2007, 02:40 AM

I don't know what kind of USB plug you put in there, but mine are usually rectangular.

Now the Apple keyboards come with a USB plug that has a little groove on one side. The Apple USB extension cable has a little ridge allowing you to insert only a plug that has this little groove.

You can see the ridge on the right side.

I have never seen any other peripheral than the Apple keyboard come with such a groove. IOW I can only use the Apple extension cable with the Apple keyboard.
well, the one that came with my new keybaord worked just fine with my printer...standard usb plug.
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 03:43 AM

Just a note about rechargeables:

Rechargeable batteries lose power within a few weeks, even if you're not using them, and must be recharged.

So no matter what, rechargeables in the wireless keyboard/mouse will have to be recharged every few weeks.

Regular batteries will last many months in Apple wireless devices.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2007, 04:47 AM

Technology advanced a little. Modern NiMH batteries have a self-discharge of about 20 % per month (maybe even less now, though it’s still much compared to other battery technologies). That’s theoretically 75 % in 6 months and not that bad. And you have to set this into relation with the discharge by normal use and the batterie’s capacity.

-

P
Aug 26, 2007, 06:56 AM

I have received two USB extension cables from Apple - one with a keyboard and one that must have come with an old iMac. One of them has that ridge - the newer, I think - and the other is a general cable that I'm using on my HTPC at the moment.

The USB specification doesn't allow for passive extension cables for the simple reason that the maximum length of a cable is set in the specification, and with an extension you might exceed that length and have signal problems as a result. Apple avoids the issue with the ridge - if it only works with their keyboard and you can't daisychain more than one, the total length of keyboard cable + extension can still be guaranteed to be under the maximum length. I guess it cuts down on support calls.

dankar
Aug 26, 2007, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by awaspaas View Post
I had the white Apple wireless keyboard. Over the course of 3 years I think I changed the batteries once - I used Duracell Ultra or some other premium battery though.
How do you make the batteries last that long?

I have two wireless keyboard, one for the dual G5 and the other MacPro. Both are on from 9am to 5pm, 5 times a week. And they last no long than 2.5 weeks. Using rechargeable 2600mah batteries.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by dankar View Post
rechargeable 2600mah batteries.
Use proper batteries.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Moonray View Post
Technology advanced a little. Modern NiMH batteries have a self-discharge of about 20 % per month (maybe even less now, though it’s still much compared to other battery technologies). That’s theoretically 75 % in 6 months and not that bad. And you have to set this into relation with the discharge by normal use and the batterie’s capacity.
I didn't know that.

I do suppose, however, that this goes for high-quality rechargeables only.

I'd expect the cheap ones to still need re-charging after three or four weeks.

dankar
Aug 26, 2007, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Use proper batteries.
Even with proper batteries (Alkaline non-rechargeables), max are 3.5 weeks not months. Switched to expensive rechargeable because of cost savings. Mouse usually runs flat first.

All wireless are not turned off when the office closed for the day. And mouse and keyboards do not sit idle all day.
( Last edited by dankar; Aug 26, 2007 at 11:45 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules