Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > disk utility for mac pro desktop

disk utility for mac pro desktop
mrdinh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2007, 07:20 AM

I ran the disk utility just to see if there is any
prob...due to the slowness performance...i get this error
message....volume header needs repair...but i can't
check the fix button....its grey out…sup?

how to fix this prob? I used the os x disk to open this utility

thanks

dankar
Sep 13, 2007, 07:32 AM

You would need to boot up from another hard disk or from a laptop. The HD you want to 'fix' is most likely the start-up HD. Restart your Macpro with the key 'T' depress on your keyboard when it boots into HD mode, firewire your MP with your Macbook or Macbook Pro and run disk utility from there or just simply reboot from your original DVD that comes with your MacPro.

Hope that helps.

mrdinh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2007, 07:48 AM

i don't have another mac...only window computers...so what you suggested will not work correct?..any other options?
thanks

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by mrdinh View Post
i don't have another mac...only window computers...so what you suggested will not work correct?..any other options?
thanks
Boot from your restore DVD and use disk utility there. Hold down C to boot from a DVD.
Signature depreciated.

mrdinh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2007, 08:03 AM

cats ceo, your advice it different then just putting in the os x disk and clicking on the utility file?..thanks

is this big prob?..can be fix?...just got the computer and can return for a new one

rehoot
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2007, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by mrdinh View Post
cats ceo, your advice it different then just putting in the os x disk and clicking on the utility file?..thanks

is this big prob?..can be fix?...just got the computer and can return for a new one
I'm not sure what you are asking or saying here, but CATS CEO was saying to put the OS X installation DVD into your computer, reboot the computer while holding the C key, select the DVD as the start drive, optionally select the language on the first screen of the install program, then look at the menus at the top for a sub-menu item that says "Run Disk Utility." You can then run the disk utility program to fix your hard drive because your hard drive will not be in use.
Mac Pro Quad: 2.66GHz; 4 GB Ram; 4x500GB drives; Radeon X1900, 23" Cinema Screen, APC UPS
PowerBook G4: 1.33GHz; 768MB Ram; 60GB drive

macbookuser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2007, 12:42 PM

I have the same problem. Bought my macbook about 3 months ago, and after the 1st months noticed it. Called Telephone support, but they just told me to repair using the CD version of Disk Utility. But the problem keeps coming up every week or so. They have no idea what it is. My phone support just ran out, and I am not sure what to do. I did a hardware test and everything came up fine, so I can't even try to get them to change the hard drive.

Any ideas would really be appreciated.

Cold Warrior
Oct 4, 2007, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by macbookuser View Post
I have the same problem. Bought my macbook about 3 months ago, and after the 1st months noticed it. Called Telephone support, but they just told me to repair using the CD version of Disk Utility. But the problem keeps coming up every week or so. They have no idea what it is. My phone support just ran out, and I am not sure what to do. I did a hardware test and everything came up fine, so I can't even try to get them to change the hard drive.

Any ideas would really be appreciated.
If it's not working right, you can still call Apple to have them send you a box to send it in for service. It's their problem, not yours, if it's not working correctly.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 4, 2007, 01:27 PM

"Volume Header needs repair", or words to that effect, usually mean something minor. Like an invalid creation date for the HD.

I usually use Disk Utility to do periodic scans of my HDs, then use DiskWarrior to do fixes. Whenever that error turns up and DW does the repair, it's always reported fixing something like that. Something that doesn't affect the data integrity.

Forum Links
Forum Rules