Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Still can't find a good monitor...

Still can't find a good monitor...
macuser9909
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2008, 08:45 PM

All the reviews aren't good enough so here I figured I would go to good mac forum. I have been looking for a monitor between the size range of 20 to 22 inches. I will be connecting it to my MacBook Pro and I will be using Final Cut Express to edit, so it would have to work great with that. If I could afford the Cinema Displays I wouldn't be bothering everyone here. So if anyone could give me some good ideas that would be awesome, thanks.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2008, 08:51 PM

I really like my Chimei:

Newegg.com - CHIMEI CMV 221D Black 22" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 330 cd/m2 800:1 - Retail

I know it's a brand you've probably never heard of, but trusting the NewEgg customer comments is usually a great way to shop, and I can't say I disagree with their very high assessment of this monitor.

macuser9909  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2008, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I really like my Chimei:

Newegg.com - CHIMEI CMV 221D Black 22" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 330 cd/m2 800:1 - Retail

I know it's a brand you've probably never heard of, but trusting the NewEgg customer comments is usually a great way to shop, and I can't say I disagree with their very high assessment of this monitor.
Nice, and obviously your using it with your MBP or no?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2008, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by macuser9909 View Post
Nice, and obviously your using it with your MBP or no?
My primary machine is a 15" Powerbook, but I've used it with my work laptop, which is a MBP. No real difference, except I can get more resolution out of the video card in my MBP. There is nothing machine specific about monitor connectivity other than what resolution the video card can drive on the external display.

macuser9909  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2008, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
My primary machine is a 15" Powerbook, but I've used it with my work laptop, which is a MBP. No real difference, except I can get more resolution out of the video card in my MBP. There is nothing machine specific about monitor connectivity other than what resolution the video card can drive on the external display.
OK great, that answers my other question! Now my hunt is on...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2008, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by macuser9909 View Post
OK great, that answers my other question! Now my hunt is on...
No problem! I also should have added that whatever resolution you can get is not monitor specific either... When you get your monitor, be sure to calibrate the color on it using Apple's Colorsync Utility.

Good luck!

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2008, 02:34 AM

You can always check out Apple refurbs.

Generally speaking: If in doubt, I'd choose a smaller, but better monitor over a bigger, lesser one.

Check out, if a 20" refurb cinema display would do.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2008, 02:40 AM

No offense Veltliner, but I don't understand why anybody buys Apple monitors... I know they are nice, but they are soooo overpriced, and I wonder whether if you did a blindfold test (where the vendor name was masked) whether people would even choose the Apple monitors each time - there are a lot of nice monitors out there that don't have an Apple on them.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2008, 03:01 AM

This thread inspired a thread of my own:

http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...ly-overpriced/

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2008, 05:30 AM

I use a Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW (24") with my MacBook and I love it. If it's out of your range they have a pro-ish 20" as well. The quality on their nicer models matches Apple's displays, but they cost a few hundred less.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2008, 07:34 PM

Dell 2007FPW

nickclarson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2008, 07:38 PM

I think the only monitors I would ever purchase are by Apple, LG, or Samsung.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2008, 09:42 PM

I have an LG 246W (24" w/ VGA, HDMI and component) on computer #2. Very nice. Also pivots.

synthfiend
Jan 11, 2008, 11:31 AM

I've had really good luck with this:

Buy.com - LCM-22w3 Black 22'' Widescreen LCD Monitor (22'', 1680x1050, 5ms, DVI) - LCM-22W3

I couldn't afford anything "brandier", so I got it and am quite happy with it. I used a calibrator on it once I hooked it up, and it looks great. I've had mine since October 2006 with no problems at all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules