Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G3: Wireless internet?

iMac G3: Wireless internet?
Annorax
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2009, 08:18 PM

Hi all,

I have an old iMac G3 233mhz running OS 8.6. Is there any way I can get it to use my wireless router's internet signal, via some sort of USB device or the like?

Thanks for any help.
Bondi Blue iMac G3 266Mhz

ibook_steve
Oct 3, 2009, 08:35 PM

Sure. Get a wireless ethernet bridge. I recently got a Buffalo bridge (WLI-TX4-AG300N) for my non-wireless devices. Works great though it's not cheap ($80 at Newegg).

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

P
Oct 4, 2009, 07:04 AM

There are USB wireless adapters that are much cheaper, but I'm not aware of any with drivers for OS 8.6. You can also buy certain wireless routers and load them with a custom firmware to make them work as a wireless bridge. This is usually cheaper, if you don't mind some hacking. Finally, Apple's Airport Express works as a wireless bridge, although of course that is more expensive than the bridge option ibook_steve suggested.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 4, 2009, 09:32 AM

Easiest: purpose-built wireless bridge-more expensive but quicker and less setup time.
Cheapest: some other route to a bridge, such as using an older Linksys WRT54G router and loading certain firmwares (including the one P linked to: read up on this at LinksysInfo.org)-more technically challenging and time consuming, but potentially less expensive if you can find the right router.

My choice would be to go with a purpose built bridge. Unless you really WANT to play with firmwares and/or have a WRT54G sitting around collecting dust, you'll get connected way faster and with less of a potential to make a mistake in setting things up.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Annorax  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2009, 11:13 AM

Thank you all for the replies. You've all been very helpful.

I have a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable hacking it such, but if I ever get a spare wireless router someday, I'll keep this in mind. I think the ethernet bridge linked above may do the trick for me so I'll give it a try.
Bondi Blue iMac G3 266Mhz

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2009, 01:24 PM

AirPort Express would also work. It also doubles as a wireless print server.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules