Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Which color is the RIGHT color?

Which color is the RIGHT color?
ug.mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2005, 02:23 AM

Hi all,

My GF recently brought a 17" 1.8G iMac G5 (rev.b) which now sitting next to my PM G5 w/ 17" Studio LCD. I found something very interesting but I never doubt before. The color tone on my ADC LCD looks a little 'warmer', like brushed metal windows just not as 'cool' as it looks on iMac. It's like set color temperature from 9300K to 6~7000K on CRT but AFAIK LCDs are using native color temperature.
Like I said I never doubt my ADC LCD before this because it just looks 'right', but now I saw two different tones on everything, I can't tell which tone is correct.

Can any one share any experience with color on Apple's monitors?

Thanks.

S.G.D

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2005, 07:44 AM

In my experience, LCD screens do this with age, and it isnt generally noticed until another similar screen is sat next to it. They fade a little and get a slightly yellowish tinge, which ties in with you saying it looks 'warmer'
The later the model of screen, then the longer it takes for this to happen. The screen on my old Clamshell iBook looked terrible by the time I sold it at a couple of years or so old. My 12" powerbook is faring better, but still shows signs of this issue. But i just accept that this is what LCD's do with time. By comparison, my newer G5 iMac screen looks very bright with excellent very clean looking whites (Damn, I make it sound like some washing powder TV advert).
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules