Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Fellow guitarist/singers unite!

Fellow guitarist/singers unite!
nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2001, 12:34 AM

I saw a bunch of "...fellow ____________ unite!" posts, so I thought I'd start one, too. This one may have a smaller response, but here goes.
I have been the guitarist and lead singer for a band since 1994...we call ourselves Nine Minute Martian. The hilarious part is, we don't get to practice very often! We all have "careers", two of us have wives, and I have two kids as well.
We love to play, and we are very passionate about our music. We play mainly alternative/rock-type stuff (like Creed, Metallica, etc.)...well, basically anything but country western stuff.
So...any others out there? If not guitarist/singer, then hows about just band stuff?
Nine Minute Martian

plaidpjs
Senior User
Jun 6, 2001, 12:41 AM

Three weeks ago I finally fulfilled a life long dream and bought qa brand new Fender.. now I'm trying to tech myself how to play it. Unfortunately, I've reached a couple of chords that i just can't seem to get my fingers around, so it may be time to look for professional help... and i think my strumming is off, but hey, it's only been 3 weeks!

Ciao!
G4/533 DP, 768 MB RAM, 40GB HDD, 32MB GeForce2 MX, 30GB VST Firewire Drive, and an Apple Cinema Display.

nigeljedi  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2001, 12:47 AM

Great choice! I couldn't afford a new American Strat, so I spent what I could yesterday and bought an Epiphone Les Paul (which isn't in the picture from my previous link...that black and white one was borrowed). It plays great and stays in tune! I've had a lot of problems with my guitars going out of tune easily.
Keep with those chords, they'll come to you. There are plenty, for me, that I have trouble playing for any length of time on my acoustic...my hand cramps up on a few songs that I like to play.
The guitar is such a versatile instrument...I love playing them. Maybe we could post pics or links to pics of our "axes"...it's neat to see other's instruments. It's kind of glancing into their personna.

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: nigeljedi ]

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2001, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by plaidpjs:
<STRONG>Three weeks ago I finally fulfilled a life long dream and bought qa brand new Fender.. now I'm trying to tech myself how to play it. Unfortunately, I've reached a couple of chords that i just can't seem to get my fingers around, so it may be time to look for professional help... </STRONG>
Let me take a stab: F and B7? Took me years to get those.

Are you playing along with records? that's a good way to get the hang of strumming. I can't recommend a better way to teach yourself guitar than the method I used: A pile of Beatles CDs, and a songbook to go with them.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

cheerios
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2001, 01:07 AM

Originally posted by Nonsuch:
<STRONG>

Let me take a stab: F and B7? Took me years to get those.

Are you playing along with records? that's a good way to get the hang of strumming. I can't recommend a better way to teach yourself guitar than the method I used: A pile of Beatles CDs, and a songbook to go with them. </STRONG>
F is a HUGE pain!! I WISH I could have a fender... but an acustic Yamaha does the deal as a learning instrument... I don't do Beatles, but getting tabs ofline, adn sitting down with Metallica music has taught me alot... that, and Indigo Girls. Keep at it, it's a lot of fun!!
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

plaidpjs
Senior User
Jun 6, 2001, 01:45 AM

nigeljedi - As soon as I can I'll have a pic of my new baby up on my mac.com homepage.

nonsuch - B7 is actually not difficult for me. i can't get their fast yet, but i can get it, and i have to say right now that is my favorite chord, i love the sound it makes. F is a royal pain in my a@@, I just can't get that first finger right. C is also causing me some trouble, trying to get to it that is, finger 2 and 3 don't like just laying on strings 4 and 5, especially not across two frets!

cheerios and everyone - I actually went out and bought "Guitar for Dummies" it really isn't as bad as I thought it would be. but, i've only got maybe 7 chords down well enough to do anything with and the only songs the book has to play to really suck and aren't being played like I'm used to hearing them (Swing Low, Hallelujah, etc.). I have to say right now, what is really driving me to keep going is that i so badly want to play "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel, although I want to play it like it is in the remake that is getting popular on the radio right now, can't remember the guys name that's doing it.

Anyway, I don't plan on giving up any time soon, but I do think I'll try and find an instructor one of these days.

Ciao!
G4/533 DP, 768 MB RAM, 40GB HDD, 32MB GeForce2 MX, 30GB VST Firewire Drive, and an Apple Cinema Display.

fobside
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2001, 02:03 AM

i like playing punk stuff. its so upbeat and its easy to play. woohoo! i first learned on accoustic guitar and then picked up electric. my friend went off to grad school and left me his bass to take care of so ive been playing that a lot. next year my friend is going off to study abroad so he said i could take care of his ibanez. im going to rock out all the time!

cheerios
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2001, 02:09 AM

Originally posted by fobside:
<STRONG>i like playing punk stuff. its so upbeat and its easy to play. woohoo! i first learned on accoustic guitar and then picked up electric. my friend went off to grad school and left me his bass to take care of so ive been playing that a lot. next year my friend is going off to study abroad so he said i could take care of his ibanez. im going to rock out all the time! </STRONG>
How different is bass from guitar? I mmean... less strings, so does it just, not have the ends of chords, or what?? (sorry,... Someone let me hold one, once, but at that point, I could only play wind instruments...)
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

fobside
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2001, 02:24 AM

Originally posted by cheerios:
<STRONG>

How different is bass from guitar? I mmean... less strings, so does it just, not have the ends of chords, or what?? (sorry,... Someone let me hold one, once, but at that point, I could only play wind instruments...)</STRONG>
bass comes in many different varieties. theres 4-strings, 5-strings, 6-strings, and even 7-string basses. basically as noted by the name, bass, its lower. im not musically gifted. id guess its one octave lower tho. bass is played not by chords usually. its played by single notes and theres a variety of ways to play it...picking, strumming, slapping, and fingering.

and thats about all i know. punk stuff is really easy to play on the bass but not so fun. its a fast driving bass usually and thats about it. i like playing stuff with phat basslines cuz it just sounds cool...although im not very good.

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2001, 02:36 AM

I've been playing guitar over 25 years now. Still haven't bought the American strat. Do have Yamaha Pacifica Mike Stern, which is a Telecaster model , an Ibanez Sunburst LesPaul model and an Epiphone acoustic. The biggest challenges have been Hendrix ( not just the solo's) and Robert Johnson and Eric Clapton unplugged.
My favorite chord, if there is one, is the E7 played like this:

-------7------
-------0------
-------7------
-------6------ ( slide from 5 to 6)
-------7------
-------0------

It's great for fingerpicking, and you can slide up from B7 .

nigeljedi  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2001, 06:44 AM

In reply to the bass question, if you want to hear some really creative ways to play bass, listen to the Red Hot Chili Peppers or Primus. Flea (RHCP) and Les Claypool (Primus) have a style all their own. They do use a lot of chord progression and alternate fingerings. There's also a few blues/jazz/fusion players whose names escape me at the moment, but that type of music lends to some pretty cool bass licks.
Let's see, favorite guitar chord? Gotta say this one:

---3---
---3---
---0---
---0---
---2---
---3---

It's name also escapes me, but I think it has a very rich tone. Oh, heck, I like a lot of chords...can't really choose one.

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2001, 07:59 AM

I think it's a regular G, with the added D note on the B-string ( there's probably some different notation for it). This chord sounds great, I like it also played with the B on the A -string as a bass.[/LIST]

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Jun 6, 2001, 10:48 PM

Greetings,
It's nice to see some musicians here. Being able to create and play one's own music can be one of the greatest joys in life.
Here's a little info for those who might be interested in bass. Generally, a bass is tuned one octave below the lower four strings on a guitar. Depending on the type of music played and the creativity of the player, more than one string may be played at a time. As stated, there are 4-, 5-, 6-string basses, as well as 8- and 12-string models. The later two have four sets of 2-3 strings that are presssed down (fretted) at the same time and are tuned an octave higher that the main string. If you've ever played a 12-string guitar you'll know what I mean. (Watch out for the 12-strings, you can mess up your wrist if you're not careful).
The bass is a very underrated instrument. It has the ability to completely change a song. I don't like hearing a guy do bass solos, but I don't like hearing someone just thump on the beat one octave lower than the guitar. Paul McCartney, Geddy Lee, John Entwistle, and Bruce Thomas are examples of bass players who play nicely between "too much" and "too little".
Anyway, keep it up!
"Why did this thread cross the line? Because its **** got stuck in a chicken." - Demonhood

nigeljedi  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2001, 11:00 PM

Well, to keep this alive, let's kick it up a notch (since there is interest in this topic!), let's give our musical backgrounds, influences, etc.
I kind of started before, but here goes. I wanted to play drums from a very young age, but could never afford a set. I was always the drummer in the neighborhood "air guitar"-type bands. But, having never had a set, I was turned onto guitar by a friend when I was in 7th grade. He was very good and taught me a lot of what I know today. So, in short, that was 1989 and here I am 12 years later, still strumming. I've had several electric as well as acoustic axes in those years, and have played a lot of live stuff with my buddies.
I was mainly influenced by Metallica, Van Halen, Rush, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, and many others who are too many to list. I still play a variety of musical styles, with an emphasis on a more alternative/rock style.
I'd really love for my band to play around the city more, but our schedules really don't permit that.
So, who's next? I know there's mucho talent technically, scientifically, and musically in these forums...

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2001, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by nigeljedi:
<STRONG>Well, to keep this alive, let's kick it up a notch (since there is interest in this topic!), let's give our musical backgrounds, influences, etc.</STRONG>
Two things moved me to learn guitar: 1) David Gilmour and 2) "Norwegian Wood." I originally started on a hand-me-down electric, but my ability to emulate Gilmour (or to play any kind of solo, really) turned out to be not so good. So I got an acoustic and haven't played electric since (more than 10 years now!). And shortly after picking up the acoustic, I finally got a reliable transcription and learned "Norwegian Wood." It was a great moment -- a chance to cross something off my life's "To Do" list.

I haven't progressed very far in the last few years: I don't gig, I don't sing, and my current guitar needs some work. I dabbled with songwriting and wasn't encouraged by the results. When I pick the guitar up nowadays, it's to work out a Beach Boys or Los Lobos song, or else to sit down with my Beatles: The Complete Scores and mess around with some old favorites. (I try to figure out XTC songs but I can't--I think Andy Partridge makes up all his own chords.)
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

pathogen
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2001, 11:25 PM

I've been playing guitar and singing.... hmmmmm... for 13 years now. I have a '65 Fender Mustang and lots of pedals and effects. I've never played in a band, and I hope to someday, but i'm really too scared and definitly not handsome. I taught myself to play (my dad and I can play by ear). I think I'm going deaf, the 100Watt amp in my study gets a little too loud sometimes. Oh, and my girlfriend likes it when I write her my own songs, so if that's the be all and end all of everything in my musical life, I'm still happy.

Favorite Guitar Solo: "Reprise", The Verve, from their album "A Northern Soul" (1995)

&lt;edit: added Picture&gt;

[ 06-08-2001: Message edited by: pathogen ]
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

nigeljedi  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2001, 11:31 PM

Yeah, that "by ear" thing is how I play, too. I can read music, but I find it more of a hinderance than an advantage. I can usually pick out songs without much heartache, so actual notation kind of went out the window. I took music theory in High School, but I don't remember much of it. I wrote one song (as an assignment) there, so it didn't stick very effectively.
I stick to tablature or just by ear, and I find I get the results I want anyway.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2001, 04:52 AM

Hey all. I missed this topic because I don't come by the lounge much. Anyway I've been playingguitar for 3 and a half years, I like to think that I am pretty damn good for only playing for a few years, I started out with a junky beginner fender acoustic, then bought a mexican strat a few years later, But the best purchase I ever made was my Taylor 310ce electic/acoustic cutaway that I bought about 21 months ago. The guitar was a bit expensive and at the time I my ability wasn't as good as the guitar in my hands, but it is so amazing. I will never need to buy an acoustic guitar for the rest of my life. (I hope!)

Anyway, me and my friend play acoustic Dave Matthews an Tim Reynolds stuff at coffee shops around us but we really wanted to find our own venue so we're streaming a concert over the internet this Friday, late afternoon/early evening. If any of you guys would like to hear us then please email me at [email protected] so I can tell you exactly when our show will be, since we're not exactly sure at the moment.

fobside
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2001, 04:56 AM

<STRONG>In reply to the bass question, if you want to hear some really creative ways to play bass, listen to the Red Hot Chili Peppers or Primus. Flea (RHCP) and Les Claypool (Primus) have a style all their own. They do use a lot of chord progression and alternate fingerings. There's also a few blues/jazz/fusion players whose names escape me at the moment, but that type of music lends to some pretty cool bass licks.</STRONG>
flea is, imho, the best bassist that ive heard. man, that guy is good. he does things i cant even imagine doing. one time in concert he was slapping so hard he tore a hole in his thumb. can you image that?! now they didnt stop the concert. he filled the hole with super glue and kept playing. when it started bleeding again, they just added more glue. holy shinkies, thats dedication!

nigeljedi  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 7, 2001, 09:47 AM

...I remembered one of those jazz/funk/fusion bass guys: Victor Wooten (I think). My buddy from a long time ago listened to him incessantly...but he's pretty creative and intuitive on the bass.

nigeljedi  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2001, 12:19 AM

Ok. Here's a link to the "axe" picture. This one is my newest purchase, an Epiphone Les Paul model. I haven't named it yet, but I will. So far, I love it.
Nigel's Axe

fobside
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2001, 12:45 AM

<STRONG>Ok. Here's a link to the "axe" picture. This one is my newest purchase, an Epiphone Les Paul model. I haven't named it yet, but I will. So far, I love it.
Nigel's Axe</STRONG>
sweet, dude. i like it. name it...fobside!

nigeljedi  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2001, 01:49 AM

LOL!!
I'll keep that in mind!!!

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2001, 02:38 AM

<STRONG>Ok. Here's a link to the "axe" picture. This one is my newest purchase, an Epiphone Les Paul model. I haven't named it yet, but I will. So far, I love it.
Nigel's Axe</STRONG>
Nice, it's almost the same as my Ibanez.(Body: Carved Curley Maple top with Mahogany Back
Neck: Setin Neck laminated Maple
Fingerboard: Ebony with Pearl block inlays.
Pickups: Two gold plated Super 70's Finish: Jet Black)

---------------------
and this is my Yamaha, Telecaster model

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2001, 02:53 AM

Just incase any of you guys cared, we will be performing today at 5pm EST. Our radio station is: http://www.live365.com/stations/249303

I would love for you guys to listen in, and if you want you can join the AIM chat in room "waffffffle" where you can talk to people in our audience.

DV
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2001, 03:01 AM

Speaking of music, I posted a topic in the "Comments and Suggestions" forum that there be a forum category devoted to making music on the Mac. Maybe some of you guys could respond to it (like signing a petition), and we could get one created. How 'bout it?

BTW, my second electric was a B&W American Strat (my first is not worth mentioning). Sold it though, to pay for my new love, a Larrivee acoustic guitar (which sounds like butter). You can hear it at my signature.

Dallas

nigeljedi  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2001, 09:40 AM

Man! I'm so psyched to see and hear so many people interested in music like I am! I'll go over to the sug/comm section for that petition, DV. Everyone, keep posting! Show your axes, drums, basses...heck, show your microphones, piccolos, tubas...whatever! Tell your band stories...whatever you want to pertaining to music. And, if you make music on Macs, EVEN BETTER!
--(psyched)

plaidpjs
Senior User
Jun 8, 2001, 11:00 AM

So, I'll be putting up a pic soon... but with all the posts regarding making music on a mac, I wanted to mention someone I knew, as he works exclusively on a Mac using Protools and a horde of other equipment. This guy is also a great musician and song writer.

His name is Ronny Katz. He used to live in San Diego, so anyone out that way may have heard of him. I was managing him for a while when I was out in L.A. doing the agent thing, but i couldn't get anymore then a lsight flutter going for him in the inner circles there (but that wasn't a reflection on his music, just the time I had to spend on his career, and shortcomings I had as a "music" manager). Anyway, I think some of his stuff may be floating around on a few of the MP3 boards. If you have a chance to look, two great songs are "Wet" and "Wine".

Come to think of it, I may put up a few snippets of his songs on my mac.com homepage. maybe someone out there will take a listen and be able to do more for him than i could. Check back for an update with the URL for the songs.

thirtyfootsmurf
Jun 8, 2001, 11:04 AM

Hello all!

I've been playing bass and guitar for about a year now.

This is my baby... Ibanez EDB600GP (grey pewter)
http://members.home.com/fritzair/Ibanez.jpg

I bought it at Bass Northwest (the best store for bass http://www.bassnw.com ) about 4 months ago and I love it. It plays so nice, the action is really low yet i don't get fret buzz! I also have a not shown Yamaha classical acoustic and it plays really nice too. Nothing like Hootie and the Blowfish on that beast!
The F chord is not so hard at all! i just bar the first fret and work my way from there. I feel that one of the hardest chords are the Bm chord and the E-flat-major-sus-6th is really hard too. I think it exists...

I play for our school's Jazz Band and our last performance is on the 13th. If anyone is around here (Sammamish, WA) at or around that time, e-mail me and I'll give you directions.

We should have a seperate forum for Music. I love it!

nigeljedi  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2001, 11:58 AM

Sweet bass, smurf. I had an Ibanez RG 550 guitar a couple of years ago, and the only thing I didn't like about it was the Floyd Rose II tremelo on it. I'm not much of a "whammy" man, so all it did was screw up the tuning. Then, to top things off, I stripped all three of the locking nuts at the headstock, so I couldn't tighten them. I guess I was too cheap to just buy a simpler tremelo system.
That's why I really love my new Epiphone...no whammy bar, simple bridge.

nigeljedi  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2001, 12:06 AM

I was thinking. I know, bad idea. But, anyhow...when I ever do get my site up and running, I was tinkering with the idea of a tablature area. Good idea? Bad? I had planned to link to a music section anyhow, so after writing this post I thought it might be cool to have some simple tab pages. People could submit them, I could tab them, whatever...then post them. ???
Lemme know...

[ 06-09-2001: Message edited by: nigeljedi ]

wANCO tHE sANE
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2001, 12:19 AM

Hey... I just came across this topic. Well, i'm a guitarist for a "band" with no name yet... I have an ibanez RG standard, been palying for about 1 year now. I'm ok. I play mostly punk and metal. My influences are Blink 182, Metallica, Powerman 5000, static-x, rage against the machine and others.. i sort of have a band. it's bgasically me, a friend (bassist), and another friend (guitarist), and this drummer who's sick.

for the people in bands here, what did you have to go through to ge t a succesful band goin?

I put a V-TECH sticker on my iMac DV 400 and i'm burnin' Geo Metro's left and right.

fobside
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2001, 04:18 AM

Originally posted by wANCO tHE sANE:
<STRONG>for the people in bands here, what did you have to go through to ge t a succesful band goin? </STRONG>
successful as in what? being able to become famous? or just get successful at playing together. either way...you gotta play lots together til you get real tight with each other. then play small gigs around town or something.

nigeljedi  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2001, 01:15 PM

I agree, fobside. Just being able to play together to get the songs down helps a million. And, like with my band, we're great friends, too. It doesn't help if the band members are problematic and there is internal tension.
Also, not being afraid to conquer new styles or to venture away from your "usual" approach. Variety and creativity play a major role in happiness/success in a band.

wANCO tHE sANE
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2001, 03:30 PM

yeah. I mean as gettign together and playing some songs. transportation and a place to practice is a problem enough... oh well. thanks.

I put a V-TECH sticker on my iMac DV 400 and i'm burnin' Geo Metro's left and right.

Belle
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2001, 03:52 PM

My favorite song to play/sing is 'Behind Blue Eyes' by The Who. I thought it was kind of unusual, but Sheryl Crow has recorded it for the tribute album 'Substitute', and recorded a really great version at that.

Pete Townshend has put some original recordings of the song up here.

Belle
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2001, 03:55 PM

Oops.

[ 06-09-2001: Message edited by: Belle ]

nigeljedi  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2001, 06:55 PM

The bassist of Nine Minute Martian and myself kind of "auditioned" a new bassist today (the current bassist wants to sing, I'd just play guitar and not both). Well, if you can consider a recreational band having an "audition."
It was kind of neat to session, even though our drummer couldn't make it today. We're trying to get a little more serious about our band, although two of us have pretty hectic schedules and families.
It's all about the music, man...

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2001, 07:14 PM

I play lead guitar in a Blues Band (we play Hendrix, Cream, SRV, Freddie King, Albert Collins kinda stuff, although we have been known to mix in a few Grateful Dead, Neil Young and Santana numbers;-))...I've been playing for 14 years, best thing I ever did was to learn although I haven't had the time to play as much as I'd like recently due to work commitments

You have all probably seen this site but it is a really good resource for Guitar Tab, they cover most stuff... http://www.olga.net (online Guitar Archive)

Marc

nigeljedi  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2001, 10:42 AM

I'll, hopefully, be in the market for a new amp setup soon...if I can save up the $$$. I've been out of the buying market for long enough that I'm not sure what's "the best" anymore. The last great amp I played was a Marshall half-stack cabinet w/o any rack effects. I thought it had a full sound without distorted output @ high volume levels. I know I'm in for a shock if I think I can get an equivalent for little $$$, but I'm just up for suggestions.
Right now, I'm more or less borrowing an amp (with one 12" speaker, I think), so I'm in the market...
Any suggestions? I need sweet clean-tones, and not a large amount of effects.
Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules