Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Root/Priveleges...revisited.

Root/Priveleges...revisited.
nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2001, 11:21 AM

Well, I couldn't find the answer elsewhere (though I know it's been hashed over many times), so here's my question for the day. In 10.1, where did the root login go? And, on top of that, how do I change file/folder/volume priveleges now that I can't log in as root?
With 10.0.x, I just logged out from Admin, logged in as root, and changed priveleges. Now, however, it seems I don't have that option. Any time I choose Get Info, all the privelege options are not accessible. I have enabled root in NetInfoManager and all that, but I'm stuck otherwise.
Thanks!

itistoday
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2001, 10:33 PM

its still there, root hasn't gone anywhere. try going into your System Preferences > Login > Login Window and screw around in there. you can have it so that only icons and names of the users made already appear, or you can have it so that you have two black entrys upon login, one for Username and the other for password. i have it so that it shows the users, and so that it has the Other... login enable, you can click on this and enter any login name you want. in your case, root and whatever your password is.

Forum Links
Forum Rules