Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Making 7100 into MP3 Jukebox

Making 7100 into MP3 Jukebox
flimflam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2001, 06:26 PM

I have an old 7100 that's collecting dust and have decided to make it my MP3 music jukebox and hook it up to my stereo receiver.

My questions is this: What is the best Mp3 playback program that can be loaded on a 7100 (i.e. soundjam)? I would like to use "I tunes" but it looks like you need a mac with built in USB ports and one that can run OS 9.0.

Thanks

jarends
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2001, 09:11 PM

I tried to play mp3s on a 6100 w/ 24 megs of ram using soundapp a while ago. The computer was just fast enough to play the songs, and not much else.

If I tried to click an item on a play list, there would be a delay of a few seconds while the computer tried to get going.

I bring this up because a 7100 is pretty similar in terms of speed to a 6100. I hope you have a lot of RAM. It's not a bad idea though for an old machine. Just play with it a bit to see if its fast enough for you before you spend any money on hard drives, etc.

FYI: iTunes doesn't require usb ports. I run it on a beigh G3. You do need OS 9 however.

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2001, 04:27 PM

actually, there's a hack that lets you use itunes under os8.5/6. i use it at work all the time, works fine for listening/ripping. i'd go with a pretty stripped-down player, just something that'd use playlists. maybe an old version of macamp or something. i use an old macamp beta at home on my j700 and have never really seen a need to upgrade..
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

superlarry
Senior User
May 9, 2001, 09:34 AM

a really simple, easy-to-use program is SoundApp. it doesn't have any extra features that would bog down your system, and i think it purely uses quicktime, so it's working WITH your system. check it out:
http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~franke/SoundApp/

there are a couple versions on the page, depending on your system. have fun! :c)

jarends
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2001, 10:14 AM

That computer will be too slow...

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 9, 2001, 03:57 PM

If you need large cheap storage http://www.microlandusa.com/microlan...Fid=ARS2000UBM

Sorry don't know UBB

etphonehome
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2001, 05:08 PM

About iTunes:
There is a hack that will allow it to be used without OS9 and USB isn't a requirement in the first place. In fact, I got it running on my 6100 wit OS 8.6 without any problems...except it was very...very...very...slow.

I would recommend that you use a program called GrayAmp (I don't know where you get it from, but it shouldn't be that hard to find). I use it on my 6100 all the time and it runs about 100x faster than iTunes, in fact I've never had any speed-related problems with it. You can make playlists, but not much else.

I would recommend upgrading your hard drive, but otherwise a 7100 should be good enough for an MP3 jukebox as it is.

------------------
"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?"
<font color = blue>"Thank god for adequacy.</font> <font color = green>It gives people who </font><font color = red>suck </font><font color = green>something to strive for."</font>

[email protected]

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2001, 04:26 AM

Pay the money for SoundJam. It is really the best product out there. iTunes is an Apple "me too" response. Which isn't a bad thing in and of itself, but certainly doesn't gain a whole lot of respect from me considering that Apple has had problems keeping third party vendors around and Cassidy & Greene. C & G make exceptional software and should be rewarded by our patronige. I don't work for them, I'm a University IT geek.

etphonehome
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2001, 07:22 PM

I've never personally tried SoundJam, but I've heard that iTunes was based on SoundJam, and so both programs would probably be about the same speed. On my 6100, iTunes ran painfully slow. I'd try to click on a song, and I'd have to wait about 15 seconds for the song to be highlighted. I'd really recommend a no-frills MP3 player for a computer of that vintage, because it's barely fast enough to play MP3s. Adding other bells and whistles on top of the MP3 playing will only screw everything up.
<font color = blue>"Thank god for adequacy.</font> <font color = green>It gives people who </font><font color = red>suck </font><font color = green>something to strive for."</font>

[email protected]

jarends
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2001, 08:42 PM

If you want to try it, try to get as little stuff running at once. Do a custom install of the OS and only install the software you will need for the mp3 player to run

Forum Links
Forum Rules