Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] Update to the Theme Template - works with Photoshop CS

[ANN] Update to the Theme Template - works with Photoshop CS
bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Dec 7, 2003, 01:41 PM

It used to cause a crash to Adobe Photoshop CS, I had a chance to fix it and it now works fine.
I've also added the Progressbars to the template, and they seem to work fine. Only problem is that you might have to adjust the Progressbar background caps and fill yourself, but that's no big thing.

Download it here

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2003, 01:42 PM

Hmm I'll have to check this out. Though I do start in Adobe Illustrator 10 with my mockups.
click one

Mike S.
Senior User
Dec 7, 2003, 04:56 PM

I know a guy who says he'd like to make a "high contrast" theme but is put off by the complexity of the process.

How does this template work? (I don't have Photoshop) do you just fill in the blanks with your own design and then run it through ThemePark or something?

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2003, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by Mike S.:
I know a guy who says he'd like to make a "high contrast" theme but is put off by the complexity of the process.

How does this template work? (I don't have Photoshop) do you just fill in the blanks with your own design and then run it through ThemePark or something?
ooo it would be close to impossible to make a theme without PS.
click one

Mike S.
Senior User
Dec 7, 2003, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
ooo it would be close to impossible to make a theme without PS.
Of course it would, thankfully I'm not the one making the theme ;-)

I'm just trying to get some info for this person, if it's easy enough I'll link him to the template and see if he wants to make his theme.

bOOzo  (op)
Addicted to Themes
Dec 8, 2003, 07:14 AM

This is the same theme template that is included with ThemePark, only newer.

Everything is explained in the read me.
It's basically a PS document with Aqua buttons with all their states, which you then replace with your own graphics and then run a script to have the PXM's assembled for you.

The template includes Large and Small Push Buttons and Popup buttons, Bevel buttons, Butted Bevel buttons and large and small progressbars.

Lew
Senior User
Dec 8, 2003, 08:59 AM

Does it also work with PS Elements, or is some of the stuff specific to the full version of Photoshop?

bOOzo  (op)
Addicted to Themes
Dec 8, 2003, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by Mimizuku no Lew:
Does it also work with PS Elements, or is some of the stuff specific to the full version of Photoshop?
Not sure, but do try!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2003, 01:37 PM

You should be able to use it with almost any version of PS. psd files are nice like that.
click one

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2003, 01:41 PM

Great news Max When I upgraded to CS and the action would crash to app I tried to figure out why but couldn't. I use it often but I'll find that I'll need to go in sometimes and teak by hand... the template assumes that one is building buttons/controls to Aqua's proportions - not always the case but I guess this is about as cutom as you can get with PS actions.

BTW, progress bars are a nice addition, but they assume that each frame of the sequence is a wrap-around offset of one image... again, probably the best way to go seeing as it's hit or miss whether an app is going to actually stream the sequence frames or simply scroll the first frame. I find progress bars very frustrating... for the most part 15 of the 16 (or 31 of the 32) frames within the resource are essentially useless. That and the fact that most of the time the standard/active progress bar's background is drawn by the system instead of the indeterminate progress bar's background behind indeterminate progress bars. We could get some really cool effects with progress bars if they at all behaved in a predictabe manner. Essentially the only way to get predictable results is to accept the fact that all but the first frame of your progress sequence are going to be ignored and that you should have the same background for both normal and indeterminate progress bars. Stupid Apple.

bOOzo  (op)
Addicted to Themes
Dec 8, 2003, 03:24 PM

Yeah it took me w hile to figure it out too.
The template if far from perfect, and as you say, it does not work well with buttons that are much different from Aqua's proportions. I made the scripts that move the images 1 pixel higher or lower.
The way actions scripts works I can't think of a better way to handle it.
The progressbars are a mess, I know. The benefit from the template is that you don't have to create those other 15 or 31 frames for the indeterminate progressbar.

Lew
Senior User
Dec 9, 2003, 08:47 AM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
You should be able to use it with almost any version of PS. psd files are nice like that.
OK. I was thinking about the fact that PS Elements doesn't allow for alpha channel editing, actions and a few other things that the full version of PS does. I'll give it a try.

Seion
Dec 13, 2003, 05:50 AM

Hey Max, it seems that the Small Push Button script is incorrect, b/c every single time I run it, one of the commands stops it, saying that "The Selection Area is Empty."

At first I thought it was me messing up the template, but then I opened the original template, made sure it was the only window open, and ran the small push button script, and the same error happened.

I would go in and try to fix it myself, but it would probably take me quite a while to figure out what's going on.

Eitherway, this has stopped production on a little project of mine that I've been working on that should make the inner geeks in all theme users smile
Normal People Worry Me.

bOOzo  (op)
Addicted to Themes
Dec 13, 2003, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by Seion:
Hey Max, it seems that the Small Push Button script is incorrect, b/c every single time I run it, one of the commands stops it, saying that "The Selection Area is Empty."

At first I thought it was me messing up the template, but then I opened the original template, made sure it was the only window open, and ran the small push button script, and the same error happened.

I would go in and try to fix it myself, but it would probably take me quite a while to figure out what's going on.

Eitherway, this has stopped production on a little project of mine that I've been working on that should make the inner geeks in all theme users smile
It's mentioned in the read me.. You have to delete the small popup button or the small push button layer folder when you are working with one or the other. Then it will work.

Seion
Dec 13, 2003, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
It's mentioned in the read me.. You have to delete the small popup button or the small push button layer folder when you are working with one or the other. Then it will work.
*smacks head on desk*

I guess I missed a spot.

Thanks Max.
Normal People Worry Me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules