Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > any way to increase ram in g4 ibook/800?

any way to increase ram in g4 ibook/800?
RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Mar 29, 2007, 04:13 PM

I have 640 in there now, and the ram websites say that is the max. I see no reason to upgrade since I swapped out the old drive for a 7200 rpm, and have seen a nice bump in response time. Halo(single player) runs great. The last thing I can think of to get it running just a bit better is to increase the ram to 1gig. Is this possible? Thanks

mfbernstein
Senior User
Mar 29, 2007, 05:32 PM

Yes, you can upgrade the memory. OWC has compatible 1GB modules for ~$100, though elsewhere is likely cheaper.

RobOnTheCape  (op)
Senior User
Mar 29, 2007, 05:42 PM

this is great. Another question. Though I can get a 1gig piece in there, will the ram be fully utilized? Or am I putting in 1g, but the system will only recognize it as say 512?

mfbernstein
Senior User
Mar 29, 2007, 05:57 PM

No, it should recognize the full 1152MB RAM (1024 + 128 on the motherboard). I believe the reason why Apple's specs say it's limited to 640MB is that those 1GB modules weren't available when then machine was introduced.

Forum Links
Forum Rules