Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Installing OS X on rev b iMac

Installing OS X on rev b iMac
Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2002, 02:57 AM

PROBLEMS. OS 9 installs fine on the machine. But when you try to install OS X, it tells me that it's not in the first 8gb of the hard drive. I did replace the hd with a newer western digital 60gig, but if OS 9 is working and installing fine, what do i have to do to make X install? Ever heard of this problem?
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

runningdog
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2002, 12:38 PM

Just partition the drive so that the first 8Gb are just for the OS. Or you can split 4Gb partitions for OS9 and OSX. The 8Gb limit for the location of a bootable OS is an old iMac limitation. If you've been installing other software it might have filled most of the first 8Gb of your new drive which would not allow OSX to install properly.

nbnz
Senior User
Oct 31, 2002, 12:45 PM

As noted here on Apple's knowledge base, also check out xlr8yourmac

Forum Links
Forum Rules