Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can I make a particular song off a dvd movie an mp3?

Can I make a particular song off a dvd movie an mp3?
Jbroad572
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2004, 06:15 PM

How would I accomplish this? There is a song on an old dvd I own, I want to make an mp3 so I can listen to whenever. Is this possible?
17" Apple Powerbook 1.33ghz

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2004, 06:46 PM

try this app, it lets you record the sound output from any app:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9379

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2004, 10:50 AM

Have to echo the recommendation for this software. I found it while trying to do the exact same thing you're trying to accomplish. I downloaded the demo, got my song, converted it into an MP3 and was quite happy.

Then, a couple weeks ago I just went and paid for the ap. It's that good. I think you'll be happy with it.

There is another software -- I want to say it's called wiretap but I wouldn't swear to it and I don't have time to do a search -- that also does this and I am nearly certain that it's free.

So look for that, too.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2004, 12:22 PM

If its a one-time thing, use what they recommended (or Wiretap , which is free).

If you think you might want to do it more often, there are 2 great freeware apps that will extract audio from DVDs. The quality is very high end it extracts AC3 (read better quality than CD audio) directly from the DVD OSEx will extract and separate the video and audio streams of a VOB file. and mAC3dec can convert the AC3 to either aiff or mp3. You can trim the song with QT Pro. This solution is a more complicated and time consuming than Audio Hijack or Wiretap (especially OSEx which require checking and unchecking a bunch of settings ... takes a while to figure out what you're doing the first time) but the quality is pristine (if that matters) and both utilities are free.

Forum Links
Forum Rules