Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New PowerBook Owner

New PowerBook Owner
icemank121
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2004, 09:51 AM

I woke up this morning, checked FedEx tracking, and my PowerBook G4 15" 1.25GHZ is on the truck for delivery! Now I have to some how manage to patiently wait for this truck to arrive..... And hope the LCD screen is evenly lit with no spots or smears of white, hehe.

LeonD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2004, 12:06 PM

I just got my G4 15" 1.25 Ghz this week (after being held up in customs for 4 or 5 days - that was nerve racking!). The shippment actually came in six separate boxes (from all over the globe). As each one came, I'd get a knock at the door.

Well, I got all the boxes except for the computer. A few days later, it leaves customs and I see in making it's way across the country. The next day it's on the truck to my house at 9:00 AM. I'm waiting for the knock and I'm checking on line. Nothing. At 12:00 I figure why check on line; there won't be another entry till it's delivered (and I'll hear the knock). At 1:00, a friend comes over bringing in a box. He's says it's from Apple and it was left on the porch! I check on line and it was dropped off at 12:20! It was sitting there for 40 minutes.

Out of all the boxes, it was the only one I didn't have to sign for.

FYI, after checking all the forums and knowing all the known issues with the PB, after having mine for a couple of days, I can say that I can't find any problems with it. Everything seems to be working fine.

I hope yours turns out as well.

LeonD

Originally posted by icemank121:
I woke up this morning, checked FedEx tracking, and my PowerBook G4 15" 1.25GHZ is on the truck for delivery! Now I have to some how manage to patiently wait for this truck to arrive..... And hope the LCD screen is evenly lit with no spots or smears of white, hehe.

icemank121  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2004, 12:31 PM

It arrived at 10:30. I ordered it yesterday at about the same time, it got in here is less than 24 hours! Everything is good so far, the screen doesnt latch all the way flush, but from what i've read, thats almost normal now.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 01:21 PM

It arrived at 10:30. I ordered it yesterday at about the same time, it got in here is less than 24 hours! Everything is good so far, the screen doesnt latch all the way flush, but from what i've read, thats almost normal now.
Where did you ordered from, I waited what felt like an eternity for my PB, of course that was when they were first released (the 15"pbs)

Good Luck and congrats

Mike

icemank121  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2004, 01:28 PM

Apple Store, refurbished

jewing80
Mar 19, 2004, 02:01 PM

icemank121,

Did your refurb. come in a retail box or brown boxed? Any hint of the "white spot" problem?

icemank121  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2004, 06:05 PM

It came retail, if i didnt know it was a refurb, I would say it was new! No hint of the white spot problem, also the screen is lit evenly with no dead pixels.

rsgunther
Mar 20, 2004, 10:00 PM

It came retail, if i didnt know it was a refurb, I would say it was new! No hint of the white spot problem, also the screen is lit evenly with no dead pixels.
If it came in a retail box, it may be a new machine. My refurb came in a brown box.

Check out my .mac homepage & you can see:

http://homepage.mac.com/rsgunther/PhotoAlbum3.html

If you take the battery out of book, you can see the serial number. If it is a refurbished unit, the sticker with the serial number will say refurbished & it will have a refurb serial number. If it is new, it will have a different style serial number and the sticker won't say refurbished. I would check this out if I were you.

icemank121  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2004, 10:57 PM

The sticker did not say refurb, it came in new packaging, and came with 10.3.3 Restore DVD, not 10.2.7 and the Panther Upgrade liek the refurb site says.... Interesting.. According to the serial number it was built the 10th week of 2004.

rsgunther
Mar 20, 2004, 11:49 PM

I would say you probably got a new machine. If I were you I would consider myself very lucky.

Forum Links
Forum Rules