Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > CD-R, RW

CD-R, RW
Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 1999, 10:04 AM

Anyone doing this with an iMac? I'd like to hear about it. Spressa, Que, whatever.

Thanks.
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

GJ7502
May 25, 1999, 01:21 PM

I recently bought the Que rwcd rom and it is fantastic no problem at all. get it you will not regret it it also comes in translucent colors to match your imac. It also retail for an amazingly low 299 comes with toast and a padded carrying bag. Check out gadget's section aat imacworld.com

sebecko
May 27, 1999, 02:54 PM

Hi Boondoggle

Yes, I too got my Que CD-R/W two days ago. It's a very cool design, works better for gaming than my DVD-ROM in my B/W G3 (due to spin up/down pain of DVD-ROM drive).

And like GJ says, it's a great bargain at $295 (macmall) comes with a nifty case, a couple of CDs (one CD-R and a CD-R/W) and Adaptec Toast for USB.

BTW, GJ - how do you make a CD-R/W? I know how to do a CD-R but I've never tried a rewritable before.

Thanks,

seb (from the depths of the appleinsider message boards).

PS Nystrom
Jun 3, 1999, 01:28 AM

Add me to the list of happy Que! users. It's my first CD-RW so I'm just getting the hang of things, and so far it has been plenty easy to use. My only complaint is the rather "over my head" manual, so most of my discoveries have been a result of trial and error with the included CD-RW.

jwild
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 1999, 11:39 PM

I'm considering buying a que cdrw and since you all have such great things to say about it would appreciate if any of you would email me and tell me what i can expected from the que. My Email address is [email protected].

Thank you

cejones
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 1999, 10:12 PM

I own the Que drive and wanted to say that I was disappointed with it's reliability and function. Did you know that you can't burn audio CDs at 4 speed? I called Tech support and they confirmed it, something to do with the USB connection not able to handle it. Also, copying a CD from the internal drive to the Que drive, I get about 2 out of 5 failures. The Toast Software version 3.8 was supposed to be setup for USB drives, but I found it locking up my system.

Also, I tried backing up Playstation CDs and found it doesn't work. I called Tech support and they confirmed that it doesn't work at any burn speed.... Why? USB.

I've decided to buy the $150 SCSI card for iMac and get a true SCSI burner.

cejones
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 1999, 10:37 PM

I own the Que drive and wanted to say that I was disappointed with it's reliability and function. Did you know that you can't burn audio CDs at 4 speed? I called Tech support and they confirmed it, something to do with the USB connection not able to handle it. Also, copying a CD from the internal drive to the Que drive, I get about 2 out of 5 failures. The Toast Software version 3.8 was supposed to be setup for USB drives, but I found it locking up my system.

Also, I tried backing up Playstation CDs and found it doesn't work. I called Tech support and they confirmed that it doesn't work at any burn speed.... Why? USB.

I've decided to buy the $150 SCSI card for iMac and get a true SCSI burner.

shkoob
Jun 21, 1999, 12:55 PM

I purchased a Sony USB Spressa Drive I have not lost a CD-R or RW yet. There are some differences between the Que drive like using 4x Writing to CD-R discs approximately 20 minutes to write audio. The RW speed say only 2x I haven't tried 4x yet. It comes with Sony's Discribe for Charismac. You have
to buy a carrying case yourself. I saw them at CompUSA(Yuck) for $299. Which is the same price range. It is beige with colored accents and CD-Stomper software and label making software kit. I have burned 4 auido and 4 data discs with no loss of disc or data.

MacFan
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 1999, 08:36 PM

I first purchased the Sony USB CD-RW and found the drive to be great yet the software was totally lacking in capabilities. (burning video CD's for example)

Was hoping that Adaptec would support the Sony drive but this is not the case and they won't unless Sony were to join in with them on some OEM agreement according to Adaptec Sales. Fat chance of that happening since Charismac is owned by Sony. Charismac Tech support says that these features will be added sometime in a future release yet they have no timetable. In other words...never, IMHO.

Decided to go with the Que drive as Toast is the industry standard and I really don't care if it takes 20 or 30 minutes to burn a CD as I do it only occasionally.

Haven't had any problems with the Que, so far.

Patriots99
Jun 29, 1999, 12:26 PM

I have had a lot of experence with CD-RWs and the best I have found is the HP 8100i because of the way you can save directly to a CD like you can to a floppy, but the Que! is not far behind. I have burned CD-R/RW at 4x speed (except audio) and never had a problem even with making Playstation "backup" CDs. Tip: to reduce errors have it create a disc image first and extrace audio tracks to AIFF format before burning. The only problem I have found with the Que! is that after being on for hours you need to turn it off and then on to get it to eject the tray.

~Patriots99

if you have any questions email me at [email protected]

Patriots99
Jun 29, 1999, 12:28 PM

P.S. Does any one know where I can get a copy of DirectCD for the Mac?

~Patriots99

Patriots99
Jul 7, 1999, 03:35 PM

Hey, I'm back. To copy PSX CDs you need to make an image of it with Astarte CD-Copy. You can download a demo at www.astarte.de just go into the software store. You need to get a serial number to register it otherwise you can't make the images. The 03/99 version of cracks & numbers has it. If you've lost your serial number and want me to send you cracks & numbers email me

~Patriots99

Fun Bobby
Jul 12, 1999, 10:06 AM

Has anyone heard any news regarding the LaCie CR-RW? Reading the bulletins, I am getting mixed feelings about purchasing a Que CD-RW? Please help...

Cheers,

Bob

TERPS
Jul 13, 1999, 03:35 PM

You can get a Que Drive USB for your Mac at www.buynowcomputers.com

The price is the best so far - $268 + s/h. They just received their shipment (I've been waiting 2 weeks).

Thanks...Lee

MacWorld NYC '99 - Here we come!

lawrencecampbell
Jul 30, 1999, 06:17 AM

Hello,

Someone posted to Macintouch saying they could only get the Que drive to write audio by making a disk image first. This has been my experience too (I *finally* managed to write audio last night!), but I have disk image questions.

The image I successfully wrote was created in Adaptec's Jam. I couldn't *mount* this image within Toast ("unrecognised file format" or something like that), but it would let me drag the image into the write window, and proceeded to write the cd fine--only problem being, it's a single track! ie, it doesn't recognise the track divisions of the disk image.

The "save as disk image" option *within* Toast is only available to me when I write files, not when I have audio in there.

So... how do I get a disk image into Toast so that the program will recognise all the tracks on the image?!

Thank you in advance for any reply.

PS. I don't know of a single person who has had a response from the QPS tech support email address.

Lawrence.

guybrand
Aug 1, 1999, 10:16 PM

yeah, i got on of those USB drives. it came with a cool case, and because of USB, was really easy to install. i even put the extension on every machine in the office, so i could back up every machine on whim.

my only problem - it cant do audio at 4X, because USB is too damn slow. at first, i didnt mind waiting 30 minutes a CD, but i bought a 4X burner!

sorry, after 1 week, i realized, its going back and i am getting SCSI cards or getting firewire. USB is great for mice, keyboards, and even some printers, but forget it for hard disks and burners!

blackice
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 1999, 09:08 PM

i bought a Que! drive, and someone swiped the software CD! could someone please send me a disk image of the cd or just the drivers??? please? thanks in advance...

[email protected]

noonsa
Dec 26, 1999, 03:43 AM

Just got a Que USB Drive for my G3, and it didn't come with the driver CD, for mac or PC when I took it back to future shop they cracked open another box and found the same thing. qps-inc doesn't have the mac drivers on thier sites, just the updaters for them, does anyone know where I can get the Drivers and Toast? Anyone Else having the Same problem??

atrace
Dec 26, 1999, 02:24 PM

Will be buying an iMac DV soon and want to know what I need to use my Smart and Friendly CD-R drive. I understand that one can get a SCSI adaptor...help me out.

GChamplin
Jan 5, 2000, 02:12 PM

I've got a Que drive, and it came with Toast 3.8.2, I plan on upgrading our iMac DV to MacOS9, so I called them up and they're sending me the Toast 4 upgrade since I just got the drive. They were great...
I love the drive, and have made audio & data cd's...
George

trusttom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2000, 03:35 PM

Does anyone have experience with the BellStor Eclipse 16x4x4x Firewire CD-RW?

A review of one of their external Firewire hard drives ran on Macintouch today.

SteveH
Jan 17, 2000, 10:39 AM

Someone asked about the LaCie USB CD-RW. I have the 2x2x6, running on a Rev A iMac through a hub. Works OK, files & audio. Had a few problems (coasters) which replacing the drivers fixed. Only 2 speed, not too much of a problem for me.

acidchicken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2000, 03:05 PM

I just purchased Sony Spressa USB brand new from buy.com for $195 + shipping. My second day air total was $212. That was last week. Every CD I have burned has been quick and perfect. I can't complain a bit. I'd reccomend the Spressa. My friend has the Que and he hates it, especially for audio. I've burned both data and audio on CDR and CD-RW flawlessly at way below the Que's price.
WWF rules

disectamac
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2000, 08:53 PM

I'm not gonna purchase another one until I see a 12x
anyone know what companies are building or planning one? w/firewire?

[This message has been edited by disectamac (edited 01-22-2000).]

mikemchugh
Jan 22, 2000, 02:50 PM

DON'T but the LaCie 4x4x24 - it doesn't support DirectCD (drag-and-drop from HD to CD); Retrospect Express, nor can you use the damn thing to even READ audio/data CDs - see my usenet posting today for more information.

Mike McHugh

illovich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2000, 09:03 PM

I just unpacked my LaCie USB CD-RW 4x4x24x, and I feel like I was totally boo-yaa'd.

From the read me:

"LaCie and Adaptec DO NOT support the CD Reader capability on the Mac with the USB CD-RW at this time. We only support the burn and rewrite functions of the drive. Use the CD-ROM drive that is standard with your computer to read or mount CD-ROM or audio discs."

So to sum up, the LaCie 4x4x24x cd-rw is actually a 4x4x0x cd-rw drive, because it can't be used as a reader AT ALL.

Also, you can't drag and drop files to the disc. It's really frustrating when a mac-first technology is only supported on windoze.

I think I'll be returning this shipped-too-soon product.

Forum Links
Forum Rules