Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > FOR SALE: 17" Apple Flat Panel Display

FOR SALE: 17" Apple Flat Panel Display
Tjthemaxx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2001, 02:13 AM

This is the nicest monitor I have ever owned. But as you've seen with my other posts, I'm going portable and don't need it anymore. Still have all original software, paperwork and original box! Only been used for several months.
Asking $950 or best offer!
Requires G4 with ADC connector. Buy my G4 (also listed) as well and I'll knock $50 off this monitor and make it $900!

Email me if interested!
-Thomas Wells
[email protected]

Tristrami
Senior User
Oct 22, 2001, 02:34 PM

Apple is offering a monitor/G4 deal for Ed customers. Buy a qualifying monitor and get $300-$200 off your G4....you might cvonsider matching that...

Michael T. Doyle
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2001, 10:58 AM

On top of what the previous poster said, 17" ADC flat panel displays go for only $850 refurbushed or open-box-return anyway at the catalog resellers. For a used monitor, you really can't ask as much.
Mike Doyle
Chicago, IL

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2001, 01:01 PM

Uh oh, Apple is giving decent discounts right now for a display bought with a G4...

Matsu
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2001, 05:15 PM

Even if the weren't available at up to $500 off right now, there's a slightly larger (same res, tho) 17.5 from Formac with better contrast that costs 899 brand new. Not worth more than 600, 650 tops.
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

Tjthemaxx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2001, 05:46 PM

While I can appreciate a good deal, I just paid $999 for this monitor a VERY short while ago. If I can't get what I'm asking I have no problem keeping it. I can't afford to sell it for $650 and take a $350 loss on something that's three months old and in super condition. I feel it's worth more than that. Apple currently has refurb 17" LCD studio Displays for $899 (not $850). I could possibly take $850 and beat apple's deal on a refurb (mine still has 9 months of warranty left) but much lower than that and it's just not worth me selling it. I'm sure you all understand. I'm not trying to be a bad guy here. Just because it's not worth more than $650 to you, doesn't mean someone else might not want a monitor at a bit of a discount. At ebay, they have been getting these prices: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1282886006 ($910) http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1286262367 ($890)
To get $500 off this monitor at apple.com you *have* to buy the most expensive system they offer. Not everyone can do that. If retail price is $999 and they offer $100 off if you buy the entry level 733 for $1699 (which is the real-world equivalent of the Dual 500 I'm also selling for $1650, with remaining warranty) then this monitor has a practical selling price of $899 if you buy the system. $850 for this monitor with warranty and not having to buy a new computer is not a bad deal.
I hope you guys can see my point. I'm not trying to screw anyone here. I'm just trying to get a bit of my investment back. If you don't want to buy the monitor that's fine. Click "back" on your browser and read another post. Just don't try to say my stuff isn't worth much because it's good stuff that's been well taken care of.

Matsu
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2001, 09:45 PM

I think I've discovered my new favorite pastime on these boards: flaming the buy and sell! hahahaha, just kidding. A computer is a rapidly depreciating commodity, you shouldn't ever buy one unless you plan on using it for a long time. Now, regardless of how long you've used it, the monitor is used. True, you don't get 500 off unless you buy the DP800, but I did a little calculation at the Apple store, remove the superdrive, minimize the RAM and HDD, you can basically get the 17 free. You'll even have 200 left over to buy yourself a GB of extra RAM from a third party.

If you remove the twinview too, that's an extra 100 you can use to get another 40GB HDD.

As to whether your LCD is worth $999, it may be, and it may not. I suspect that after the promo ends, the prices of the LCDs will drop by about 20 percent (more in line with the rest of the industry.) See how the powerbook price drops just stuck after the revision. The industry is going into a tailspin, even Apple can't maintain is margins to past levels. There are going to be some great deals on new hardware between now and the new year, with more to follow if he economy stays in the toilet in 2002. Now is not the time for anyone to buy used hardware unless it is at a serious discount.

As far as clicking 'back on my browser' goes... nuh uh. Sorry. just like anything else, you put an opinion out there and I have the opportunity to do the same. If you want exclusive control of your material, then buy an add, this may be buy and sell, but it is still a forum.

fact remains that even if theer were no promos, anyone can still buy a brand new ADC formac 17.5" LCD for 899. Less than both your used, or apple's refurbished, price.

Tjthemaxx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2001, 11:45 PM

Well Matsu, it does seem as if you enjoy flaming the "buy/sell" posters. I've noticed that you've done it to others besides me and I don't understand why. I (nor any of the other posters I read your replies on) had provoked you in any way. You just seem to enjoy being sarcastic to others and putting everyone's stuff down. Does that make you happy? I'm just trying to sell some stuff here. I'm not trying to do anyone wrong. I'm not out to make any enemies. I don't understand why you saw (and see) fit to put us down. You are correct in this point though, it *is* your right to do so if you choose to but jeez, why do it? What do you gain by it?
In any case, you are always welcome to respond to any of my posts however you choose. I can't speak for how the others feel. I guess my only wish is that you take it easy on people who have done nothing to you.
Sincerely,
-Thomas

Matsu
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2001, 07:51 AM

OK, ok.

But you all seem to begin with prices that are just a tad too optomistic. To be honest. If the panel is 3 months old and still has 9 months of warantee, in light of recent price promotions from Apple, I'd take a ball park of what a new panel costs by itself, and in a promo, and say that, if you really wanted to buy used, you shouldn't go further than about 750.

As part of the MacNN community, I feel a responsibility to help people think about their purchases. I think you're just trying to unload a monitor that you know is going to be 10-20% cheaper in 2 and a half months time.

Justin Morgan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2001, 07:29 PM

Tjthemaxx,

> At ebay, they have been getting these prices:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1282886006
> ($910)
> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1286262367
> ($890)
Why don't you simply list your item on eBay then? It's not hard to set up an auction. The hardest part is getting the HTML & images correct. You'll probably get a better price by listing it on eBay than by simply listing it here.

If you don't want your item to sell for less than a certain amount, you can either create a reserve auction, or set your "bid start" amount to that price.

Mac stuff on eBay tends to sell for unusually high prices. You should take advantage of that.
-------------
Justin Morgan

winky
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2001, 01:34 AM

$500, my final offer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules