Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Translating Quark Docs into Arabic?

Translating Quark Docs into Arabic?
KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 03:11 PM

A friend of mine did a nice brochure in Quark, and now the customer wants the project translated into a couple other languages. The other troubling one is Arabic. He has contacted a couple translation places, and they can do English to Arabic but they work with Word files.

Forgive my ignorance but if he opens a Word document with Arabic text will Word/Apple just know which letterset to use? If he has the correct languages loaded on his Mac can he just cut & paste the Arablic Word text into his original English Quark file?

Thanks in advance. Also, if you've worked with any cheap/good translation services let me know.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2006, 01:38 AM

Unfortunately, Word 2004 doesn't support text in Arabic or any other right-to-left writing system. Ironically, though, I suspect TextEdit would be able to read the files correctly (or at least as correctly as English Word files), and Mellel has full support for Arabic. You might ask them you send you a sample doc just to check, but I'm fairly sure you'll be OK there.

As for pasting Arabic into Quark — never tried. I'll give it a shot tomorrow when I get back to my copy at the office.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

KeyLimePi  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2006, 12:05 PM

Wow, thanks for the info. If you do try the cut & paste, let me know.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2006, 02:44 PM

Looks like Quark doesn't support Arabic. I typed some random Arabic into TextEdit and pasted into Quark and it came out as "????????." But there's an Xtension that adds support.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

normdzn
Mar 14, 2006, 03:29 PM

Maybe your best bet is to have the arabic laid out in Illustrator then placed into Quark. The crucial thing about the process would be the line breaks, unless of course you can read arabic. I've had projects where translations needed to be done in korean or armenian and what I've done is set up the file in english (including design and layout), then send it to the translation company where they can place the "created outline" eps files. Hope this helps, cheers.
( Last edited by normdzn; Mar 14, 2006 at 03:49 PM. )
normdzn

KeyLimePi  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2006, 03:41 PM

Sounds like there's no real easy way to do this. Still, I appreciate all the good info. I've sent it to my friend, and a link to this thread for him to keep an eye on.

Thanks again.

mr faisal
Baninated
Mar 14, 2006, 03:46 PM

Wow, thanks for the info. If you do try the cut & paste, let me know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules