Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook screen - quality

iBook screen - quality
MacNZ
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2000, 06:48 AM

Ok, ok, ok. I've said it before- the only thing stopping me getting one is screen quality and resolution. I've been away for the past two weeks so I've missed a bit of discussion. But the thing I was going to ask is how come if the iBook has 8MB video memory like the PowerBook it is limited to 800x 600 resolution. Is it because of the size of the screen? Can you use that other resolution option program (forgotten what it's called) to allow you to change to a higher resolution? If so, what;s the quality then like?
Pete C. (PB12" 1.5Ghz 160GB hdd, 1.25GB RAM, OS X 10.4.11)

Cipher13
Oct 3, 2000, 07:22 AM

On a 12.1" screen, 1024*768 would be very small... but usable.
Tried SwitchRes?
It may well work, but I highly doubt it...
I'd say the iBook screen just 'is' limited to whatever its limit is (you know what I mean...)
Just like the ASD 17 can't go to 1920*1600 or whatever...

Cipher13

hayesk
Oct 3, 2000, 08:31 AM

It's limited because LCD screens have a fixed pixel size, unlike CRTs. The screen is *very* good quality but you cannot do 1024x768. If you try SwitchRes or something similar, the screen will just be truncated to 800x600.

Now if they brought back Stepping Out II...

MacNZ  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2000, 04:35 PM

Cool- Thanks for the clarification. They should step up to a 13" screen and increase the screen capabilities in that case then.
Pete C. (PB12" 1.5Ghz 160GB hdd, 1.25GB RAM, OS X 10.4.11)

witulski
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2000, 07:38 PM

I've read elsewhere in these forums that SwitchRes *will* set the display to 1024x768, and indeed as hayesk says, it's truncated to 800x600.

Now if only someone comes up with a mod to get that video output to an external monitor. The way I figure it, you can theoretically get up to 22 fps thru Firewire...any product developers listening? hint, hint

BTW, what is Stepping Out II?

Cipher13
Oct 4, 2000, 04:08 AM

22 fps?
Nah, you must be able to get at very least 24.
Think of it this way...
Remember way back there was something going on with the movie developers saying "you can't put firewire on TV's" as it would be "too good quality"?
And then that guy started using SDI?
Well, to be suitable for use to output to a TV, it needs AT LEAST 24 fps, and likely more.
At least PAL TV's are 24 fps... dunno 'bout your NTSC or SECAM boxes though...
Anyway, I could be wrong with all that...

Cipher13

witulski
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2000, 01:45 AM

I got 22 fps from apple's claims that Firewire moved up to 400Mbps, and 18Mbps for a millions-of-colors 24-bit 1024x768 display (which is what I'm hoping to squeeze out of the iBook onto my nice VGA monitor).
400 / 18 = ~22 fps.

Naturally, by removing color depth and/or dropping resolution you can get better results. WILL SOME COMPANY PLEASE GET ON THIS!

BTW, NTSC 'round these parts is 30fps. We repeat every 4th frame of films to get them on tv. Still can't do anything to make those durn PAL shows not look "smeary" though.

Ian Watts
Oct 7, 2000, 04:48 AM

NTSC 'round these parts is 30fps. We repeat every 4th frame of films to get them on tv. Still can't do anything to make those durn PAL shows not look "smeary" though.
It is true that PAL runs at a lower frame rate (25fps) than NTSC but the reason it might look 'smeary' is possibly more likely to do with the fact that PAL displays at 625 lines against the lower 'resolution' (525 lines) of NTSC.

anonyman
Oct 8, 2000, 11:49 AM

How is the iBook screen for ghosting? I'm getting a new SE anyway, just wondering.

Thanks!

--So says Anonyman

joe
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2000, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by Ian Watts:
It is true that PAL runs at a lower frame rate (25fps) than NTSC but the reason it might look 'smeary' is possibly more likely to do with the fact that PAL displays at 625 lines against the lower 'resolution' (525 lines) of NTSC.
No, it's the difference in speed (frame rate) that causes the blur. The video 'resolution' for both NTSC and PAL is not garuanteed. It varies greatly depending on the source. By contrast, the frame rate never varies:25fps PAL, 29.97fps NTSC. And that speed difference is what causes the blur during the conversion process. If you've ever worked with animation or rendering programs,'Motion Blur' uses the same principle.

jblakeh1
Senior User
Oct 9, 2000, 01:57 PM

Ghosting is much worse on older passive matrix machines. All of Apple's LCDs are now active matrix, and there isn't much ghosting.

I just replaced my old PowerBook G3 (passive matrix) with an iBook SE, and there is no visible ghosting compared to the old machine.

hayesk
Oct 12, 2000, 10:10 PM

Stepping Out II was a utility that gave you a virtually larger screen by automatically scrolling as you moused near the edge of the screen.

Tim Michael (finboy)
Oct 14, 2000, 12:16 PM

I tried Super Res last night, and it doesn't work. I have a Rev. A early blueberry, with 160M RAM and OS 8.6 (THANK GOODNESS!!!).

Rohith
Oct 14, 2000, 11:17 PM

Please forgive me, but can someone remind me what the difference between passive matrix and active matrix screens are?

mudzilla
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2000, 05:54 PM

For those who think the iBook screen is too small an want something like Stepping Out, you may want to try Virtual Desktop. http://www.magma.ca/~awolsp/

increases your desktop real-estate, running fine on my iMac rev a OS 9.0.4... testing it out since i'll be getting an iBook next week
understand your lives are rubbish

jblakeh1
Senior User
Oct 27, 2000, 12:49 PM

Passive matrix screens are old technology.. Apple doesn't even sell them anymore.

They don't update as quickly as active matrix, hence the ghosting, have poor brightness/contrast control... watching video is almost impossible on them. The only plus side is they don't have dead pixel issues.

Ghosting doesn't really occur on active matrix screens.

Forum Links
Forum Rules