Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pismo Crashes on Sleep?

Pismo Crashes on Sleep?
MacNZ
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2000, 05:20 PM

I have a Pismo 400Mhz which has given virtually no probs until recently. It is running OS 9.0.4 and had all the firmware upgrades. Sometimes when I put the system to sleep the system then crashes and on startup the Disk First Aid prog thingy starts up like it normally does with system crashes. It doesn't always happens but I'm getting annoyedn with it happening. I can't figure it out since the system is pretty new and basically only has a clean OS install and Microsoft Office, Internet on it at the moment. Any suggestions?
Pete C. (PB12" 1.5Ghz 160GB hdd, 1.25GB RAM, OS X 10.4.11)

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2000, 04:03 AM

Do you get a line of weird, rainbow-colored pixels on your screen when you try to get your machine out of sleep?

MacNZ  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2000, 06:50 AM

No, It basically just dies sometimes. No matter if I close the case or if I leave it on auto sleep with the energy control panel it will just shutdown it seems instead of sleep. However, the shutdown instead of sleep option is not on and when I start up next it acts like it has crashed and often resets the date & time options. This is with the adapter so it's not the battery either. I'm worried about it being that motherboard that is dying because my dad had an inferior compaq which he was given for free. It did this kind of thing until the motherboard just quit.

SillyPooh
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2000, 10:59 AM

You mean it brings back your date to 1904 or something like that? In that case, it means your clock battery needs to be changed. I don't see the relation with the real problem though.

flamingnight
Jul 27, 2000, 01:07 PM

I had the same problem with my Pismo 400, and, strangely enough, the fix was to use the OS CD that came with the PB to reinstall the multiprocessing support libraries. It works fine now, I haven't had a problem since.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2000, 12:35 AM

I had a similar problem - crashing when awaken from sleep. Turned out to be the USB extensions for my mouse. Others had crash one sleep/crash when awakened problems as well, and most were tracked down to extension problems.

From experience, the extensions and libraries instaled with Office are problematic. It might be one of those.

Don
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

MacNZ  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 28, 2000, 06:19 AM

OK, I just got it back from getting the screen fixed......will go through these extensions and see!

ktolis
Jul 28, 2000, 09:18 AM

as far as i can remember i had a similar problem... i didnt relate it with sleep but as far as i can remember i loaded the multiprocessing libraries from 904 us to 902 greek system and i remember shortly after that that the date was set to 1904 or something like that...think the mp libs have to do with it?

i had also problems to get it to sleep when i loaded M$ libraries for explorer or word98

[This message has been edited by ktolis (edited 07-28-2000).]

DrDre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2000, 05:06 PM

Just got my powerbook Pismo 400 yesterday, and I am also noticing the same problems. Basically, when I have it sleep then do anything else: like plug it into the an external monitor or TV set it crashes. A few times I have had to use the hard reset. When I do that my clock gets reset to 1/1/1904.

Anyone have any ideas what I should do?

I do have MS Office98 installed, but I'm not sure if this is the culprit.

Thanks for any help.

jdub
Aug 17, 2000, 06:21 AM

I too have the crashing while sleeping issue. Do you have any of the following symptoms:

� Does not keep accurate time, the clock appears to be slow by an unknown amount of time
� Crashes while sleeping when running on battery power. Sleeps fine when connected to the mains.
� Difficulty booting when running on battery power. Power Manager often needs to be reset.
� If not connected to mains, and battery is removed for more than thirty seconds, will not boot unless Power Manager is reset.

If so, then the problem is a hardware one. My machine is currently at Apple. The problem is in one of the following sub-systems:

� The Power Manager
� The power sub-system
� The PRAM (if resetting the PRAM does NOT fix the problem)
� The logic board itself

I'd call Apple and get them to fix it for you!

StuStu
Aug 17, 2000, 10:19 AM

I had this problem when putting my Pismo 500 to sleep and awaking it. My problem was fixed by making sure that the palm instant desktop setup was disabled from its setup menu. I.E, not disabling the extensions completely, but disabling the software in the Instant Desktop menu until I was ready to use it. HTH

Stuart

iDennis
Aug 17, 2000, 11:16 AM

Just to let all you people know if you Restore your software and the problems that you reported is still occuring, than you should send it in for repair by Apple. Also, has anyone here done that? and i was Curious was the repair Service good or bad.

I want to know because I work for the only company thats employed by apple to Fix almost all of their Labtops including ibook Pismo, and hehe the new G4 Powerbook which is called "#%)$%^&".
Sorry can't tell ya

Aug 17, 2000, 11:50 AM

make sure you have the sleep extension update 1.0 from apple. check the appple software updates!!!

It's for iBooks and Pismos.

Rich

Chappy
Aug 17, 2000, 02:22 PM

Earlier versions of DiskLight would also cause this (part of Norton Utilities). Make sure you've updated to the latest version.

Tuxford_ca
Aug 17, 2000, 03:30 PM

Use of an Adaptec 1480 SCSI card and Extension in my Pismo causes a crash on sleep. (No response from Adaptec. They don't care to fix it, it seems.)

MacNZ  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2000, 03:08 AM

Ok, I'm pissed off. My Pismo had to be sent from NZ to Australia for the second time for repairs. My dealer people claim they know what's wrong with the system but won't tell me until it gets back. What's up with that? I have a right to know. It is definitely a reasonably big hardware problem though!

iDennis
Aug 18, 2000, 10:56 AM

Hey Macnz, calm down. The only place that fixes the Pismo over there is in Australia. Well there is one in singapore too but it prolly the same distance. Besides if apple had to make a place to fix their computers in every country of the world prices would go up on their computers.
Besides what wrong with your computer?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 18, 2000, 02:56 PM

For what it's worth, those problems sound like a corrupted Power Manager (a problem I have had on my Pismo). The fix is to reset the power manager (delete your enery saver preferences file, then restart and press the reset button on the back of the machine right before it begins to boot).

A small corrections: SillyPooh, the PRAM battery in a PowerBook is NiCd rechargeable, and does not need replacement just because the clock has lost the time. Resetting the power manager and leaving the machine plugged in for a day will fix the problem.

tooki

mrmartini
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2000, 02:42 AM

I'm an IT at a school and I think the problem might be software related. We've had a lot of issues with iMac DV"s, PowerBooks, and G4's with Microsoft Office 98. They've done everything from randomly zap thr PRAM at restarts, to preventing the system from booting, to deleting files. We found this out be cleanign out two systems to the bare bones, loading office on one of them and not the other. The non office one works perfectly, but leave it to my old friends at Microsoft circa 1998 to develop software that tweaks systems.

My assistant called Microsoft (for a fee no less!) and all they did was point figures and tell us that this problem has been resolved with Office 2001.

It doesn't seem logical that Microsoft office, a software apckage, could cause these problems. But for us we proved it did. Just keep checking for updates to Office 98 as they come out

Hope this is helpful.

Forum Links
Forum Rules