Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Verizon's at it again

Verizon's at it again
yoyo52
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2001, 10:31 PM

Well, Verizon finally figured out that people were using smtpout.verizon.net to send email with return email addresses other than verizon.net. So now I can't use my Mac.com account any more to send email. It is such a stupid way to manage their servers!
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Camelot
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2001, 04:59 AM

Why don't you use SMTP Authentication (which, incidentally, is exactly what Verizon should have done in the first place, not this braindead scheme they have)..

Mac.com supports SMTP Authentication, which basically performs username/password checking for SMTP (outgoing) mail connections. Normally the username/password is only used for POP (incoming) mail.

If your mail client supports SMTP Authentication, simply turn it on and set your SMTP server to smtp.mac.com.

I know Mac OS X Mail and Entourage support SMTP Auth. Can't vouch for other email clients, though. Maybe someone else can.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

-Q-
Aug 7, 2001, 11:03 AM

Most new e-mail clients support SMTP authentication. Outlook Express 5 does; Eudora does; Entourage does, etc.

Charles Moore also did an article over at Low End Mac that talks about some of the "low end" email clients that can be used on older macs that also support SMTP authentication....

yoyo52  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2001, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the suggestion--tried if with Mail, and it works. The funny thing is that I'd tried it before, when Verizon first started doing this stupid thing, and it didn't work. Go figure.

Edit: I'm now in 9.1, and using Entourage the verification approach does not work, period. I get a message that the server doesn't recognize any of Entourage's verification protocols. Oh well

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: yoyo52 ]

yoyo52  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2001, 11:10 PM

I put this in a separate note because it's new information.

I tried my son's iBook, which is connected to the same Verizon DSL account that my G4 is connected to, both through a router and ethernet hub. The funny thing is that my son's mac.com account works fine, no problems at all, with Outlook Express and with Eudora. He's set his smtp server as smtp.mac.com.

Now I just came down to try that out with Entourage on my G4--and it won't work. Just to make sure, I also tried Outlook Express on the G4, with smtp.mac.com as the server, and no dice either. Just tried my iMac with smtp.mac.com, and that also didn't work. I'll have to try the PB tomorrow.

Forum Links
Forum Rules