Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Filtering

Filtering
yoyo52
Mac Elite
May 20, 2001, 04:59 PM

I wonder, now that some of us have taken to villifying the new MacNN with bordello decorations, whether my son's filtering program will filter him right out of MacNN. Thanks for making parenting easier, guys.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

shmerek
Professional Poster
May 20, 2001, 05:25 PM

I assume you are talking about the newsfactor sig a few of the members have adopted. It is in bad taste in my opinion and completely useless.

MacManMikeOSX
May 20, 2001, 05:35 PM

YOYO52 if your kids my age (12) he already knows those words i knew them when i was 8.

------------------
stupid age bigots'
Mike

shmerek
Professional Poster
May 20, 2001, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by MacManMikeOSX:
YOYO52 if your kids my age (12) he already knows those words i knew them when i was 8.

that doesn't mean he should have to look at it.

MacManMikeOSX
May 20, 2001, 05:39 PM

it doesnt bother us we know not to say it (if u have common scence)

------------------
stupid age bigots'
Mike

etphonehome
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2001, 05:40 PM

I agree with MacMan Mike. Unless your son is either in kindergarten, or he doesn't have any contact with other kids his age, he has heard every swear word in the book. I'm 16, and I've known swear words since I was about 8-9. I don't use them regularly, and I think that the profane signature is in bad taste.

However, I do believe that it is worth taking a stand against the new layout of the web site. Since the redesign, I haven't visited the main site at all. If they would make a signature picture that didn't include the f-word, I'd use it.

------------------
Quote of the Day:

"If you give a man a match, he'll be warm for a minute. Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
<font color = blue>"Thank god for adequacy.</font> <font color = green>It gives people who </font><font color = red>suck </font><font color = green>something to strive for."</font>

[email protected]

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
May 20, 2001, 05:42 PM

I learned them in 3rd grade... 7 years old

however, I didn't truly know what they meant until 6th.

the problem is kids (including me - don't kill me, macmanmikeosx ) using it without knowing what it means. if your son is using it randomly, I suggest you teach him what it really means and why it is offensive.

------------------

<A HREF="http://alnora.carbonized.org/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi" TARGET=_blank>
Alnora Design Forums</A>
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

Cipher13
May 20, 2001, 05:44 PM

You know what? I am boycotting ALL OF YOU until that childish damn signature is removed.

And believe me, I can get more support to boycott you than you can to boycott MacNN.

Don't try and do this, you will lose.

------------------

AIM: Cipher1387
mail: [email protected]

MacManMikeOSX
May 20, 2001, 05:46 PM

here ill teach every one what they mean

****: sex
**** : Poo
Ass: butt
Bitch: female dog
slut: you have slept around to much

i dont feel like listing them all now i just got up like 45 mins ago

------------------
stupid age bigots'
Mike

Scott_H
Professional Poster
May 20, 2001, 05:48 PM

Oh? This is the first time I've seen that. Could you all please remove that sig image? MacManMikeOSX, AlbertWu and any others. Maybe you could change it to remove the eff word?

TIA

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2001, 06:11 PM

I like my sig as is thank you very much.

Besides I haven't visited the main page in months so I really could care less.

[forgot to add sig, d'oh]

[This message has been edited by sek929 (edited 05-20-2001).]

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
May 20, 2001, 06:30 PM

Ass: butt
Actually an ass is a donkey. The problem with learning language like this so young is when people grow up they can't even speak a sentence without blurting out explitives.

I'm just as guilty of that myself, and I'm a professional Graphic Designer. For some people they just can't speak a phrase without uttering some sort of slang.

I've recently thought about how others may perceive such language used almost without even knowing I'm doing it

I'm not saying it's even possible to contain the knowledge of these "swear words" from our youth (trust me it's not, and they generally also know about sex way before the parent-child speech). I think a good excercise for parents, adults and children is to try not using such language in thier every-day speech.

Believe me, some people (myself included) don't even know they're doing it half the time, damn it. (oops , see what I mean?)

Mike

[This message has been edited by MikeM32 (edited 05-20-2001).]

yoyo52  (op)
Mac Elite
May 20, 2001, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by MacManMikeOSX:

Yes my kid is your age, 12, and yes I am perfectly aware that he knows "those words." But you miss the point. To see "those words" in a public venue such as this one licenses the word in ways that hearing it in the playground does not. One is of course always free to use "those words" at any time--I guess that doesn't apply to a moderated board such as this, but as a general principle it is true. The Supreme Court certainly has ruled that such is the case. I wonder how often lawyers arguing in front of the Court decide to let loose with one of "those words." Indeed, I invite you to use "those words" next time you go to church, mosque, or synagogue. Or next time you talk to one of your teachers, I invite you to pick one of "those words" and use it liberally.

Let me add that my son comes to my office every afternoon, and that my office is located just off a common area in which lots of my students lounge. One woman in particular used "those words" pretty freely when my son was there. I remember one memorable afternoon when she and two friends, with my son present, discussed the onset, number, and frequency of their copulatory habits. However, it took just one hint to that student, and by extension to her friends, for her to understand that there are appropriate and inappropriate moments to use "those words." I submit again: a public venue is not an appropriate place.

[edit: From the previous paragraph it follows that I don't really have filtering software for my son's computer. I realize it's futile. That doesn't mean that I would wish this place, which on the whole has been civil, to become a site I would not want him to frequent.]

------------------

[This message has been edited by yoyo52 (edited 05-20-2001).]

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
May 20, 2001, 09:32 PM

Less obscene sig.

------------------

There is a word to describe everything � half of them just don't exist...
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

Forum Links
Forum Rules