Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Stupid Apple shop people & new memory

Stupid Apple shop people & new memory
MacNZ
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2000, 02:45 AM

I have two iMacs in which I have 64Mb RAM. When I bought them I asked for it to come pre-installed with 64Mb DIMM's in the top slot. Anyways, on closer inspection, the people in the shop had simply installed an extra 32Mb DIMM in each of the iMacs low profile slots. So now when I want to upgrade my memory I have to somehow sell these two DIMM's and then add more instead of just being able to add some straight off. Should I complain to the store i bought them from and demand action or is anyone interested in buying memory?
Pete C. (PB12" 1.5Ghz 160GB hdd, 1.25GB RAM, OS X 10.4.11)

xanadu
Jul 12, 2000, 10:24 AM

Complain loud and clear, and make sure that they don't make that 'mistake' again. My wager is that they were trying to take advantage of you...

elzinat
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2000, 02:13 PM

that is certainly unaccetable behaviour on the part of the vendor. it is not worth your time or energy or Money to have to deal with the 32 MB DIMMs. definitely demand they fix it and make a really big stink about it if they don't. they have no right to take advantage of their customers like that.
good luck!

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2000, 02:57 PM

What do you expect? It comes with 32 (we're talking about the older iMacs right) and you want another 32. Do you want to pay for a 64MB low profile to replace the 32MB? No. So just stick a regular 32 in the open slot. I'm sure you would have bitched about paying extra for the 64MB in one slot.

Maybe it's your fault for not being more explicit about it.

bluesea
Jul 12, 2000, 04:37 PM

What do you mean by "�on closer inspection"? Your post is confusing. You say you asked for a 64MB chip in the top slot, so you should have ended up with 96MB right? If they charged you for a 32, then it sounds like a miscommunication.

I take it that you didn't save your reciept to verify what kind of chip you were charged for.

MacNZ  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2000, 10:41 PM

wtf?
Ok, to clarify it for some people. I was told that if I ordered these iMacs with one 64Mb DIMM in the top slot, that was how it would come. If the iMacs didn't arrive from the Singapore factory with a 64Mb DIMM pre-installed and they didn't want to replace this top slot memory they could have told me it wasn't a viable option for me. Anyways, they messed up and put in a 32Mb low profile DIMM in these iMacs which came with 32Mb in the top slot. So, I do have all my documentation, thanks to dad who filed it away, and am going to go talk to them. If I was ignorant then in asking for 64Mb DIMM's pre-installed then I expect to be told so by the people who know, ie the shop people, this is what annoys me. Otherwise I would have initially bought a larger low profile DIMM.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2000, 12:15 AM

Did you order from Apple?

bluesea
Jul 13, 2000, 02:11 PM

OK, iMacs came with a 32 in the bottom slot (1.5 in.), with the top slot (2. in.) empty. You asked for a 64 in the top only?

MacNZ  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2000, 06:28 PM

From an Apple Certified retailer in NZ.

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2000, 01:19 PM

So, did you pay for 64MB DIMMs or 32MB? You would have had to pay more because they would be "stuck" with two 32MB DIMMs that they may or may not be able to sell. If you paid for the 64MB DIMMs, you have a case.

SCott

Forum Links
Forum Rules