Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How do I take good pictures with a digital camera?

How do I take good pictures with a digital camera?
Jbroad572
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2004, 01:05 AM

I am very frustrated with my camera I bought. I look at this site and at the pictures here Test pics with my camera and my pics look nothing like that. I want to take a good close up pics, but cannot achieveanything similar to the one picture on that site of the dollar bill and coins. I don't know how to set the camera manually to take optimal close pictures. Heck, even my regular picture from regular distance don't look as good. I know I'm not taking the best pictures because I don't know the proper settings to be using.
Oh the camera is a Fuji finepix A310. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
17" Apple Powerbook 1.33ghz

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2004, 01:29 AM

What kind of photos are you trying to take? Landscape, portrait, macro, indoor, outdoor, flash, natural light, etc... What don't you like about the pictures you've taken?

Can you post or link to some samples of "bad" photos so we can see exactly what you don't like?

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2004, 01:43 AM

I've been playing around now for a few weeks with the Sony DSC-P72 that I bought, and it's all about just experimenting with settings. Don't be afraid- just keep trying out different combinations, seeing what settings do what, and what works best under different lighting conditions.

The only problem I'm having is that the video capture is incredibly dark even in a fairly well-lit room.

Jbroad572  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2004, 02:36 AM

Ok, I figured out how to take nice close pics. Here's a picture I first took a few days ago Bad pic
bad pic2
bad pic 3
Bad close pic

I put the phone in macro mode I think and now everything looks real good. Here is a good looking picture I just took Pic 1 Pic 2

mixin visuals
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2004, 02:46 AM

no links workin. get a tripod and set your shutter speed to above 1/200 at least to cure blurs
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

OreoCookie
Jan 21, 2004, 03:23 AM

Could you elaborate and post working links, please.

I find my digital camera (Olympus C4040-Zoom) utterly incapable of taking pictures that are even close to my old Nikon F50 and nowhere near my deceased Nikon F80 (accident, argh). I miss my F80
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2004, 03:34 AM

The problem of digital camera's is the large depth of sharpness which is a result of the small focal distance. I don't think there's anything you can do against this.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Jbroad572  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2004, 03:46 AM

Originally posted by OreoCookie:
Could you elaborate and post working links, please.

I find my digital camera (Olympus C4040-Zoom) utterly incapable of taking pictures that are even close to my old Nikon F50 and nowhere near my deceased Nikon F80 (accident, argh). I miss my F80
Do they work now? http://briefcase.yahoo.com/[email protected]
try that as well.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 21, 2004, 04:08 AM

But which pic is which now?

Anyway, what I did notice in your pix is a lot of graininess, which is what happens to all digital cameras when shooting in insufficient light.

I strongly suggest you use significantly brighter lighting when possible. (It'll help the focus, too.)

tooki

Jbroad572  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2004, 04:18 AM

They are real easy to distinguish, the good ones (only 2) I speak of are very clear and not blurry, that was the pic taken in macro mode.

Forum Links
Forum Rules