Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My PB is becoming very sluggish

My PB is becoming very sluggish
Jbroad572
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2004, 07:08 PM

Lately my computer will go threw slowdowns. I only have Limewire, iTunes, Safari, Yahoo Messenger, and Adium running, what gives? Once I restart it it works fin, naturally, but after a day or 2 maybe I'll open Photoshop, Adobe Reader, and after I close them, everything is just sluggish. I will have to wait close to 10 seconds for Safari to bring up the next site, I have beachballs with Expose, Safari, switching to different programs and all. What gives? Is this the need for more memory? I wouldn't think it would go threw all of this though off of 512mb Ram. Is there a utility that frees up the resources or optimizes the hard disk on a frequent basis that would help?
17" Apple Powerbook 1.33ghz

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2004, 07:36 PM

Have you tried running top or Activity Monitor to see if something else is running taking up processor cycles?
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Ω
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2004, 07:40 PM

How much space is left on your drive?

crouchingtiger
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2004, 08:36 PM

I've run into a similar problem with sluggishness on my TiBook 800 with Panther 10.3.2. Using Activity Monitor, it seems like there is a process "kass" which starts eating up CPU cycles constantly. Killing the process simply restarts it. I think it is spawned by the WindowServer.

Logging out and logging back in always fixes the problem until several days/weeks later when it comes up again.

Occasionally, I will see the problem immediately after a clean boot or restart. Again, logging out and back in fixes it.

Does anyone know what the "kass" process does?

--

I should add that I also make heavy use of Adobe apps (Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat) as well as Word/Excel as well as several Java and scientific apps.

Jbroad572  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2004, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by _?_:
How much space is left on your drive?
46.01 gb.
I will try the Activity Monitor to see if I can isolate the problem to a specific application.

massey314
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2004, 09:57 PM

i had the same problem. I just deleted crap off my main drive and now no more beach ball.

Link
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2004, 10:15 PM

For a short term solution try logging out and logging back in.

Are you leaving limewire running 24/7? that app is actually known (or was known) for tremendous memory holes, that could be the cause.

Try typing top -o rprvt in a terminal window, it will list apps by their memory usage, the highest stuff being the stuff likely causing the lag.
Aloha

Jbroad572  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2004, 11:20 PM

I did that and Safari is first followed by limewire and Adium. Safari is running the most sluggish, go figure. Maybe I need to switch back to Netscape
I didn' t have this problem often with Netscape.

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2004, 10:34 PM

Firefox...great program!
Power Mac 2.0 with 4GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules