Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Dual 1G + iPod + iSight = Strangeness

Dual 1G + iPod + iSight = Strangeness
KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2004, 03:29 PM

I have an original dual1G G4 w/ 1G of RAM running Panther. About six months ago I bought an iSight camera and noticed that when the iSight is connected it takes my Firewire iPod forever to update. I mean like 10 minutes to copy one song. Unplug the iSight and *poof* the iPod syncs as fast as always. Likewise I can't use the iSight if the iPod is connected.

About a week ago I figured I would end this swap meet by getting a PCI Firewire card. But guess what? Problem is still there. I now have five Firewire ports on my Mac and can't use the iPod and iSight together on any of them.

I thought the iSight update might fix this, but no luck. Has anyone else encountered this or something similar?

scrod008
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2004, 09:23 AM

I am having the exact same issues with my iSight and iPod, does anyone know how to correct this? Any response will be welcomed and appreciated!!

Thanks

Londor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2004, 10:56 AM

Apple also thinks the iSight update will sort the problem out. Check this out:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...onID=anonymous|10739334&kbhost=kbase.info.apple.com%3a80%2f:bric k:

javascript:smilie('')

scrod008
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2004, 08:17 PM

the iSight update didn't fix the problem, when they are both plugged in, the iPod update takes forever!!!

Yodas Scrotum
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2004, 01:01 AM

What all have you tried? I would suggest doing an unclean install of OS X if all else fails, which it sounds like it has.

"When 900 years old you reach, look as good you will not."

Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2004, 01:59 AM

Is the iSight just plugged in or is the lens open and your using it at the time.

At any rate, I don't have that problem but I also have a powered Firewire hub.

"If it's broke, you choke."

claughery
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2004, 07:53 AM

I have this too when my ipod is plugged in the back of my external HD's... On any daisy chain it gets crappy...
Dual 1.8 G5, 23" cinema oldschool, PB 1.5 ghz 12" SD, iBook 1.07 Ghz, mac mini 1.42, iPod mini, iPod photo 40gb, SE K700i

Link
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2004, 08:28 AM

It has to do with either the isight being a piece of crap or the way the OS handles the isight..

The alternative is to get another PCI card and stick the isight on that.. which might still screw up the firewire chain.
Aloha

Forum Links
Forum Rules