Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Advice: iBook for DivX, DVD, etc.viewing?

Advice: iBook for DivX, DVD, etc.viewing?
Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2004, 12:45 AM

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to buy a new laptop, and I was hoping to get some advice. Basically, I previously owned a dual-USB iBook G3 500 MHz model, and I absolutely loved it. However, I felt it was just getting kind of pokey, and wanted something more modern.

So anyway, I sold that one recently, and am now in the market for a new laptop. One of the big things is that I want to be able to use it more as a media device. My iBook was a CD-ROM only model, and I also found stuff like VLC and MPlayer to just not run well for playing things like DivX movie files, etc.

I was already fine with the old iBook for the other stuff I use it for (primarily writing), so I'm sure the newer ones will be fine with that.

So, my main question is going to be whether, if I get a new iBook G4, would it be a really good laptop for watching DVD's and playing DivX, XVid, etc. etc. files?

My budget for this is somewhere in the $1000 range (willing to go a bit higher or lower). I'm also a student so I can use the educational discount.

My dilemna at this point I think is whether to get an iBook, or whether to go to the "dark side" and get a PC laptop. It's not something I've wanted to do, but I have been kind of tempted by some of the PC laptops I've seen in stores lately, with those bright and shiney big screens, etc. And from my other PC experience, I think the big temptation for me is that it seems like with a Windows notebook, I'd have an easier time with all sorts of weird video codecs, etc.

But anyway, I'd definitely prefer to go with an iBook, so I'm mainly just looking for some reassurance that a new iBook would work well for my needs, and would be as suitable as the various PC laptops in the same price range would be.

The only reason I'm concerned at all is just from the difficulties I've encountered with some of these things (really choppy DivX playback or non-existence playback of other codecs on my G3 iBook... and also some bad playback on my G4 Cube, which is a 500 MHz model).

Sorry for going on so long. Any advice, tips, recommendations, etc. you can offer would be much appreciated.

-Elektrix

jaimzedup
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2004, 01:02 AM

With your new ibook, get VCL, MPlayer, and unfortunately WMP9. These will allow you to play divx and xvids without installing any additional codecs. And of course you'll be able to play DVDs fine.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2004, 01:06 AM

Your old iBook would easily be able to handle those demands. Playing divx's, dvd's and music do no place very heavy demands on a computer. I've had absolutely no problems with playing divx's and xvid's on my 600mhz iBook.

Elektrix  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2004, 01:07 AM

Thanks. Would you say that if I had another 256 megs of RAM to it (or should I got for adding another 512 megs), DivX/Xvid playback would be very good with VLC and Mplayer?

-Zadillo

Elektrix  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2004, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
Your old iBook would easily be able to handle those demands. Playing divx's, dvd's and music do no place very heavy demands on a computer.
Hrmm. Honestly, when I would try to play DivX files on my old iBook (a G3 500 MHz with 640 megs of RAM), it just wouldn't do smooth video playback, audio often seemed to be out of synch, etc. This was with VLC and Mplayer.

Frankly, even with my G4 Cube (500 MHz G4, 768 megs of RAM), I couldn't often get smooth DivX playback. Sometimes it would be smooth, but it would often jerk around, etc.

-Zadillo

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2004, 01:11 AM

Originally posted by Elektrix:
Thanks. Would you say that if I had another 256 megs of RAM to it (or should I got for adding another 512 megs), DivX/Xvid playback would be very good with VLC and Mplayer?

-Zadillo
I would definitely add 256, but 512 would be even better if you can afford. I personally don't like mplayer, but vlc is very good and even quicktime with the right codecs.

pat++
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2004, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
Your old iBook would easily be able to handle those demands. Playing divx's, dvd's and music do no place very heavy demands on a computer. I've had absolutely no problems with playing divx's and xvid's on my 600mhz iBook.
You have obviously never used a 500mhz iBook for video playback. It's definitely too slow to play smoothly divx (although DVD are playing fine with DVD player).

The iBook G4 should be able to play anything around without an problem.

jaimzedup
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2004, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by Elektrix:

-Zadillo
Yes, RAM always helps everything. Go for the 512mb, you can get them at very good prices nowadays.

Elektrix  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2004, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by jaimzedup:
Yes, RAM always helps everything. Go for the 512mb, you can get them at very good prices nowadays.
Thanks. What would be the best price on them right now? I saw ramjet has them for about $150. Anything cheaper?

-Zadillo

SSharon
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2004, 05:08 AM

I got the 1.2ghz ibook over the summer and use it for divx movies all the time with no problems. I have 768mb of ram and I got a corsair (not top of the line model) 512mb chip from pcnation.com for 80 or 90 dollars, I think. (I don't remember exactly since I got it at the same time as my brother hl1450 but together they were about $200)

Elektrix  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2004, 01:31 PM

Ahh, thanks. So would that be DDR 333 PC2700 SO-DIMM as what I'd look for for an iBook? I.e. would this be good? http://www.pcnation.com/web/details.asp?item=D57467

Forum Links
Forum Rules