Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > O'Reilly Threatens caller with visit from "Fox Security"

O'Reilly Threatens caller with visit from "Fox Security"
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 01:28 PM

A caller to O'Reilly's radio show mentioned Keith Olbermanns name on the air......his reaction is hilarious. NSA style.

I wonder if the NSA is Fox Security?

http://mediamatters.org/items/200603030010

CALLER: I like to listen to you during the day, I think Keith Olbermann's show --

O'REILLY: There ya go, Mike is -- he's a gone guy. You know, we have his -- we have your phone numbers, by the way. So, if you're listening, Mike, we have your phone number, and we're going to turn it over to Fox security, and you'll be getting a little visit.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 01:35 PM

O'Reilly sounds well up himself.

I like to listen to you during the day, I think Keith Olbermann's show [cut off]
The words that will 'get you a visit from your local authorities'. Someone needs to egg him.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/4685496.stm

oh no, Fox Security will be after me now.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2006, 01:44 PM

Keith said now he's worried now the O'Reilly police will come after him...

and batter him with loofahs.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 02:26 PM

Letterman to O'Reilly: 60% of what you say is crap

http://movies.crooksandliars.com/cbs...ly_060103a.mov

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2006, 02:27 PM

O'Reilly seems to really be losing it lately.

JohnnyAppleseed
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2006, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by itai195
O'Reilly seems to really be losing it lately.
He's off his meds again.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2006, 04:03 PM

I like to listen to you during the day, I think Keith Olbermann's show [cut off]
To be fair, there is a time delay, so we didn't hear what else was said. It's hard to imagine anything that would warrant a call from security or the police though.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2006, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell
To be fair, there is a time delay, so we didn't hear what else was said. It's hard to imagine anything that would warrant a call from security or the police though.
It was posted on O'Reilly's web page for a little while. MSNBC snagged it before it disappeared. Countdown with Keith Oberman played it. The key barely got the word Oberman out of his mouth when O'Reilly cut him off, and threatened him. Keith also mentioned that some people were contacted by fox security warning.

My take on this - O'Reilly is nutty as a Loon.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2006, 04:11 PM

Only a threat, or an admission of some sort of illegal activity.

FWIW, the caller claims he only asked why Bill is so hard on Keith.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2006, 05:06 PM

Can a guy not make a joke? You guys literally think that O'Reilly is sending security to this guy's house? I'm not a big fan of O'Reilly's, but I've got to step in here and point out how ridiculous you're all being.

Dear god, the paranoia...

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54
Can a guy not make a joke? You guys literally think that O'Reilly is sending security to this guy's house? I'm not a big fan of O'Reilly's, but I've got to step in here and point out how ridiculous you're all being.

O'Reilly didn't sound like he was making a joke. Have you listened to the recording?

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2006, 05:18 PM

Word up.

Why is it that liberals have a weak sense of humor?

Perhaps that's exactly the difference between liberals and conservatives.

On a related note, a recent poll showed that 30% of Democrats consider themselves "very happy" - while 45% of Republicans consider themselves "very happy".

It's all related to having a sense of humor, in my opinion.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 05:20 PM

btw, I'm not bothered about someone sending someone round to my house over something like that. If I was in North Korea and O'Reilly was Kim Jong Ill, I'd give a ****, but I'm not and he isn't.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2006, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy
Word up.

On a related note, a recent poll showed that 30% of Democrats consider themselves "very happy" - while 45% of Republicans consider themselves "very happy".

Actually, I'm pretty sure it relates to religiousness.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2006, 05:38 PM

IMHO...

Anyone who's listened to the Stern show knows there are any number of his fans who will call other shows or people and "prank" them. After a while this kind of sniping might get to a host who's trying to deal in serious matters.

If you had a show and you thought that the listeners of a competing show (such as Olberman's MSNBC SHOW, WHICH HAS LOW RATINGS) were calling your show to mention your 'low-rating-hero's' name, you'd do what was needed to put an end to it or discourage it.
( Last edited by aberdeenwriter; Mar 6, 2006 at 05:48 PM. )
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2006, 05:40 PM

It definitely was not a joke. It may have been an empty threat, if that's what you mean, but O'Reilly didn't speak in a joking manner. And there's a guy who claims he was the caller and that someone from Fox security did call him.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2006, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
Actually, I'm pretty sure it relates to religiousness.
I would agree with you, actually.

I am currently reading a book calledThe Question of God, which is based on a Harvard class which uses the works of Freud and C.S. Lewis to debate the existence of God and other issues from an objective point of view. Both sides are represented fairly as far as I can tell. But I digress.

The book speaks of extrinsic and intrinsic religious practices. Extrinsic religion is practiced by people because they feel pressured into it. Children practicing their parents' religion and people going to church because their social circle goes to church are two good examples of this. Extrinsically practicing a religion has proven to be harmful but emotionally and physically to those involved.

Intrinsic religion is when someone practices a religion because they feel it is the right thing to do and because they want to develop a personal spirituality (the tests were not limited to Christianity) for their own benefit. These people were happier, healthier, and generally living better lives than those who were either atheists or extrinsic religious practicioners.

I believe there is a lot of truth to this.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2006, 05:43 PM

Could be related to any number of things. As Hemingway said, for example, "Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know." Not to plumb any political memes by bringing up intelligence, I just think it has a large bearing on an individual's level of happiness.

Listening to the O'Reilly clip, though, it doesn't sound like much a joke. And with the delay, I didn't hear anything from the caller that would prompt even a joke.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2006, 05:43 PM

One of my Leftie friends sent me a link to this.... I have no clue if the guy's telling the truth, but I heard of this nonsense for the first time a few days ado at this link, so maybe he really is the guy who called in....

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2006, 05:45 PM

It definitely was not a joke. It may have been an empty threat, if that's what you mean, but O'Reilly didn't speak in a joking manner. And there's a guy who claims he was the caller and that someone from Fox security did call him.
Adfter listening to the recording, I'd have to admit that it didn't seem to have been made in jest. However, I don't think that it can be interpreted as O'Reilly literally sending "FOX Security" to take care of these people. He certainly seemed more on edge than in the past. When his call screener tried to make a joke, I figured that he would join in, but he seemed intent on quelching future calls like this one.

I'd like to point out that your earlier suggestion that there might have been more to the call than we heard because of a tape delay might have some merit.

Who knows with this situation. He's frightening his fellow Irishmen, that's for sure.

POINTLESS EDIT: By the way, Dork...have I ever mentioned that your sig absolutely rocks my socks off?

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2006, 05:57 PM

http://www.junkyardwillie.com/

Here are some good phone prank clips.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 06:00 PM

I'm English so I don't know of this O'Reilly guy, but he sounds like a nutjob based on my quick googling; if the sexual harrasment transcripts are true, even more so.

Whether Fox Security would come around or not - don't see how they could - O'Reilly seems to give the impression that he belives they can, then he reins it in and talks about local authorities coming around.

Using my own knowledge of UK TV/radio - if a presenter said something like that, their credibility would be right out the window. They'd be a laughing stock.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2006, 06:04 PM

"FOX Security" could just be a ploy to frighten would-be pranksters before they start calling in 24/7 365.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2006, 06:06 PM

"FOX Security" could just be a ploy to frighten would-be pranksters before they start calling in 24/7 365.
That's my bet.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 06:06 PM

true

but it is more likely to encourage them.

raises his profile as well

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2006, 06:14 PM

It might turn his radio show into a ridiculous prank-call orgy. He doesn't get that great of ratings from what I hear, anyways. NEAL BOORTZ!!! *honk honk*

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2006, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by moodymonster
I'm English so I don't know of this O'Reilly guy, but he sounds like a nutjob based on my quick googling; if the sexual harrasment transcripts are true, even more so.

Whether Fox Security would come around or not - don't see how they could - O'Reilly seems to give the impression that he belives they can, then he reins it in and talks about local authorities coming around.

Using my own knowledge of UK TV/radio - if a presenter said something like that, their credibility would be right out the window. They'd be a laughing stock.
Here's a link so you can see for yourself if he's a nut job or not. My thrill or problem here is that toward the bottom of the page O'Reilly interviews Howard Stern and I like em both!

http://www.foxnews.com/oreilly/

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2006, 06:17 PM

Honestly, folks, if somebody threatened to send "FOX security" to visit me - I'd laugh so hard I'd need to be hospitalized.

It's a freakin news organization.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2006, 06:45 PM

Honestly, folks, if somebody threatened to send "FOX security" to visit me - I'd laugh so hard I'd need to be hospitalized.

Yeah, that's kinda like being reported to the fashion police!

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2006, 07:00 PM

Maybe "Fox Security" is going to be a new hit reality TV show. Imagine it: A group of Fox News mercenaries looking for liberal bloggers and whatnot. They could even re-use "The X-Files" slogan: The Truth is Out There.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2006, 07:24 PM

oh ****...there's a white van parked outside my house. I think it says "FOX" on the side.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2006, 07:49 PM

No one is saying they're scared, just that O'Reilly is a loon.

JohnnyAppleseed
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2006, 07:53 PM

Word up.

Then why are you complaining about peeps not having a sense of humour when everyones cracking jokes about O'Really.

Look in the mirror Sunhine.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2006, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyAppleseed
Then why are you complaining about peeps not having a sense of humour when everyones cracking jokes about O'Really.

Look in the mirror Sunhine.
Dumbass students who think it's smart to make fun of the teacher end up being dumbass posters. And when it's all said and done the rest of the world will grow and progress but the dumbass' greatest contribution to society or original thought will have been cracking jokes about O'Reilly.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 09:54 PM

I remember others that threatened and tried to intimidate over the airwaves

MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2006, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by stevesnj
I remember others that threatened and tried to intimidate over the airwaves

Oh dear god, I hope this is a joke. If it is...not all that funny anyways...

But if anyone makes one more BUSH IS HITLER/O'REILLY IS HITLER/DELAY IS HITLER/CONDI IS HITLER/RUSH IS HITLER/SEAN IS HITLER assertion, I'm going to puke. As a matter of fact...I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.,

JohnnyAppleseed
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2006, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by aberdeenwriter
Dumbass students who think it's smart to make fun of the teacher end up being dumbass posters. And when it's all said and done the rest of the world will grow and progress but the dumbass' greatest contribution to society or original thought will have been cracking jokes about O'Reilly.
WTF are you blubbering about!!?¿

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2006, 06:16 AM

WTF are you blubbering about!!?¿
you

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 7, 2006, 08:13 AM

Some people are naive and believe everything they read. It's part of being fuzzy brained.

And the guy was joking people. He has a dry sense of smartness. Yes Bill is an jerk. But in this case it was clearly a joke.

Some of you really need to loosen the draw-string on your buttholes.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 7, 2006, 08:15 AM

Because your jokes are centered around believing what he did was serious.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2006, 01:13 PM

He's off his meds again.
He can always get some from Rush Limbaugh.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Moderator  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2006, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Some people are naive and believe everything they read. It's part of being fuzzy brained.

But in this case it was clearly a joke.
You really must be disturbed.

Anyway, for the rest of us: Olbermann interviewed a former state prosecuter on the subject. Apparently Fox Security really did call the guy.

The people behind this......actually got calls today from somebody identifying himself as a former New York City policeman who is now director of FOX News security, who advised that organizer that if you call anyone to often in this circumstance, you can be charged with harassment.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11698322/

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2006, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by moodymonster
They'd be a laughing stock.
O'Reilly is.

JohnnyAppleseed
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2006, 03:38 PM

Because your jokes are centered around believing what he did was serious.

JohnnyAppleseed
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2006, 03:39 PM

And the guy was joking people. He has a dry sense of smartness. Yes Bill is an jerk. But in this case it was clearly a joke.

Some of you really need to loosen the draw-string on your buttholes.

JohnnyAppleseed
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by aberdeenwriter
you
Then stop blubbering and speak english.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2006, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
O'Reilly is.
Methinks you correctly observe a situation but errantly attribute the cause of it to your revered icon, O'Reilly.

The laughing you see is from the poor victims of laughing disease, or Kuru.

Information on Kuru
Information on Kuru: A brain damaging "laughing disease" in Papua New Guinea, where till recently, tribes ate brains of the dead. It is a very obscure brain disease caused by abnormal brain proteins (prions). Kuru was associated with transmission by eating human brains as part of funerals in some tribes of Papua New Guinea. The disease is now basically exstinct.

Kuru information: Kuru is a rare, degenerative, and fatal brain disorder that occurs primarily among the Fore natives in the highlands of New Guinea. The disease is thought to result from the practice of ritualistic cannibalism, in which relatives consume the tissues (including brain) of a deceased family member. http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/k/kuru/intro.htm
Where the disease had been considered extinct, it has been 'revived' by Fuzzy Brained Liberals who, unable to agree on one common idea, message or political philosophy, eat each other up every election season.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2006, 04:00 PM

Then stop blubbering and speak english.
english, english, english, english english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english english, english, english, english, english, english, english, english.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 7, 2006, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Moderator
You really must be disturbed.
What asinine posts you two just made there.

You should be proud.

Moderator  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2006, 08:59 AM

Its just sad. Since you have no way of defending your partner in the "Culture War", you're forced to just make sh!t up. So you guys decide on the "joke" defense.

Rather than make stuff up, why not just stay out of the thread..just ignore it. This "Bill was joking" bullsh!t reeks of desperation...but more importantly..it demonstrates that your interest is simply in arguing us rather than standing up for something.

We all know he wasn't joking..all of us..including you. Just leave it alone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules