Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New MacBook Pro on the horizon?

View Poll Results: New MacBooks Soon?
Poll Options:
YES!!!!!!! 28 votes (51.85%)
Maybe? 18 votes (33.33%)
Uh, don't think so. 8 votes (14.81%)
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll
New MacBook Pro on the horizon?
disposable
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2007, 10:08 PM

Does anyone know if there's going to be a hardware upgrade to the current MacBook Pros any time soon? I remember reading somewhere that they might add flash drives to them to speed up boot time. I'm thinking of getting one within a month or two. Thanks guys!

dagamer34
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2007, 12:26 AM

Personally, none of the rumored updates floating around is either a) cost-feasible or b) worth waiting for.

I have a problem with people who want to wait for Santa Rosa, and I always ask them, what will you gain? Flash technology is nowhere near ready for mainstream consumption. A 32GB Flash drive is $500 alone these days, and is not worth putting into a Mac right now (get used up too quickly). The entire Santa Rosa platform might bring maybe 10-20% increase in performance (I made up these numbers) but it's not anything you'll see in the real world. The difference between 1 sec and 0.5 sec is 50%, but I doubt if anyone would pay extra for such a relatively small difference.

Simply put, if you are planning on getting a MacBook Pro, there is little reason to wait. The min config comes witha 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo, and there isn't a single person I know that would call that CPU a slouch.
15" MacBook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz | 2GB RAM | 120GB HDD | 128MB X1600 GPU

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2007, 03:32 AM

By the end of May we should see a new MBP.

Expect SR with its 800 MHz FSB, 4 GB RAM max, the Socket P version of Merom running @ 2.4 GHz, possibly Robson (NAND cache) and more HD options. I'm not so sure we'll see a GPU update and if we see one it'll likely be rather insignificant.

A case redesign (better HDD accessibility, new latch design, etc.) or eSATA would be nice, but won't happen.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2007, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post
I have a problem with people who want to wait for Santa Rosa, and I always ask them, what will you gain? Flash technology is nowhere near ready for mainstream consumption. A 32GB Flash drive is $500 alone these days, and is not worth putting into a Mac right now (get used up too quickly). The entire Santa Rosa platform might bring maybe 10-20% increase in performance (I made up these numbers) but it's not anything you'll see in the real world. The difference between 1 sec and 0.5 sec is 50%, but I doubt if anyone would pay extra for such a relatively small difference.
Flash isn't ready to replace the hard drive in mainstream laptops yet, and that's not what it's used for in Santa Rosa. The pre-release benchmarks show it cutting OS (boot or from sleep) and application load time by 50%, as well as increasing battery life.

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2007, 06:06 PM

Would be great to see some improvements to battery life and screen resolution (how about 1680x1050 on the 15" and 1920x1200 on the 17"?).

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2007, 06:15 PM

I'd be surprised if increased pixel density showed up before Leopard does.

disposable  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2007, 02:25 AM

Does anyone remember when the last update was to the MacBook or MacBook Pro?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2007, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by firefly View Post
Would be great to see some improvements to battery life and screen resolution (how about 1680x1050 on the 15" and 1920x1200 on the 17"?).
This will hardly happen before Apple makes OS X fully resolution independent, i.e. certainly not before Leopard.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2007, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by disposable View Post
Does anyone remember when the last update was to the MacBook or MacBook Pro?
The MB was last updated in November.
The MBP was last updated in October.

mayoke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2007, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
This will hardly happen before Apple makes OS X fully resolution independent, i.e. certainly not before Leopard.
but the hardware update was probably designed to compliment leopard (which was planned to be released by may). And considering that leopard now will release only a few months after the probable hardware change (which probably won't be updated for about a year again), why not release hardware that may appear useless for a month or two, but will ultimately be useful with leopard?

disposable  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2007, 08:28 PM

When the Intel Core Duo processor came out, were Macs sold immediately with them or was there a period were they were still sold with PowerPC processors?

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2007, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by mayoke View Post
but the hardware update was probably designed to compliment leopard (which was planned to be released by may). And considering that leopard now will release only a few months after the probable hardware change (which probably won't be updated for about a year again), why not release hardware that may appear useless for a month or two, but will ultimately be useful with leopard?
Um, because most people don't spend one or two thousand dollars on something they perceive as useless. If it's gonna "become useful" in (not one or two, but) five months, they'll buy it after another five months.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2007, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by disposable View Post
When the Intel Core Duo processor came out, were Macs sold immediately with them or was there a period were they were still sold with PowerPC processors?
The iMac and MacBook Pro switched to Intel right away with Core Duo (they took a few weeks after the Core 2 Duo release to upgrade), but the rest of the product line stayed with PowerPC for months (until the Mac Pro was released in the summer). Even after that you could still buy a new or refurb PowerPC machine if you really wanted one.

Dave Barnes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2007, 10:00 PM

disposable  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2007, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Barnes View Post
Thanks, good to have for other Apple products.

RogueSqdn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2007, 07:47 AM

I've been having trouble waiting for the Santa Rosa upgrade, but plan to get a 15.4" MBP.

Looks like my purchase will be put off a while, though... last night someone cut open the roof of my 1993 Mustang convertible to break in. Fortunately it seems they didn't get anything out of it.

The good thing, though, is that even though this will put a MBP purchase back a few weeks, it helps with the patience issue while waiting for the Santa Rosa upgrade.
Rogue
-------

MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo w/2GB DDR2 RAM & Logitech BT MX1000.
"I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, makes you stronger!" -- Emperor Palpatine, Revenge of the Sith

darkmatter
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2007, 07:17 PM

Hi,

Dell's Latitude notebook family has been smiling at me for a long time, Latitude's design reminds me Pismo's design and the price is attractive, keyboard is cool, has blue clit, etc, ...it seems Dell will offer the D630 in June. Maybe Apple will offer Santa Rosa MBPs with parallel port and 5 1/4" floppy disk drive only to the 15" MBP. Cool is also that this expandability may be offered on the 17" MBP as a BTO option.

Some information about Dell's D620
http://www.notebookreview.com/assets/10563.jpg
http://www.quinnipiac.edu/prebuilt/p...ptop_specs.pdf

At least I could use with the Dell's 620 a HSDPA card that I currently use on my highly mobile, ergonomic, energy saving and cheap Pismo.

Hope that the time Apple releases a "new true mobile business notebook" with longer battery life (8+ hours), newer GPUs, higher display pixel density, e-sata portS and complete new design is before decade's end.

Best Regards

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2007, 02:06 AM

Fugly.

disposable  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2007, 01:49 PM

Fugly.
True that.

acash0902
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2007, 08:35 PM

i heard that this chip update might not come to the macbook. you guys think this is true? If not, how many weeks later after the mbp release would i have to expect until it releases for mb. I'M KILLING my self waiting for graduation (thats when im getting the macbook), and i'd die if id have to wait any longer. but from what i read earlier on in this thread most of u say the wait is not worth it.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2007, 09:42 PM

Look at the cycle time for the Core 2 Duo update... I'd expect the MBP within weeks of the May 8th release, and the MB within a month of the MBP.

VicG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2007, 11:58 PM

I'm not holding my breath. I don't have much choice financially but to wait and save up. Hopefully there will be a new MBP in May. According to the Mac Buyers Guide, a new one is expected soon. Hopefully the only difference between the 15" and 17" will only be the display size. In addition to a faster front side bus, faster start-up courtesy of Robson, and other stuff, hopefully there will be a boost in the Graphics Chipset memory to a minimum of 512 MB with star capability of really zipping with 3D and Video work and games...

disposable  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2007, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by VicG View Post
...hopefully there will be a boost in the Graphics Chipset memory to a minimum of 512 MB with star capability of really zipping with 3D and Video work and games...
ooo, wouldn't that be nice!

badnewsblair
Senior User
May 1, 2007, 11:09 AM

Personally, none of the rumored updates floating around is either a) cost-feasible or b) worth waiting for.

Simply put, if you are planning on getting a MacBook Pro, there is little reason to wait. The min config comes witha 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo, and there isn't a single person I know that would call that CPU a slouch.
Exactly. This is the best response to this age old question.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
May 2, 2007, 08:21 PM

I would for heavy graphics apps users disagree pretty strongly since new MBPs are very likely this month. There are a number possible improvements that could make new boxes of substantial merit: 4 GB RAM, improved FSB, dual hard drives, larger/faster hard drives, CPUs, GPUs - perhaps even dual, LED backlit screens, longer battery life, new Superdrives - perhaps Blu-Ray.

Not everyone needs any of those things, but some do. Even if an improvement only provided 4 GB RAM, better graphics card and a CPU bump, it would make an immediate and significant real world performance increase for pro apps like Aperture. And even for those who do not use such apps, the price of existing MBPs will fall as well. IMO definitely worth waiting a few weeks to see what gets announced.

Edit: I have not mentioned flash drives, but even a small flash drive would probably provide a huge scratch disk performance increase to Photoshop users like me.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; May 2, 2007 at 08:49 PM. )

disposable  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2007, 08:34 PM

Well, now we know that they're going to have brighter and longer lasting screens!

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2007, 04:23 AM

There will be no CPU bump unless of course you think the bus multiplier related switch from 2.33 GHz to 2.4 GHz is something you'll notice. What you will notice if you're doing heavy crunching is the faster FSB.

A faster GPU is possible but considering what is available right now and the thermal limits of the MBP design nothing stellar's to be expected.

Dual hard drives, dual GPUs, and longer battery life are definitely not going to happen.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 3, 2007, 07:19 AM

Santa Rosa and Robson isn't for pure flash drives replacing hard drives, they are for standard hard drives with a NAND flash memory added to the system in as cache memory, for faster startup times and system read/writing. Flash hard drives and Hybrid Hard Drives (HHD) are a different thing.

Intel Robson and Santa Rosa

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
May 4, 2007, 09:52 PM

There will be no CPU bump unless of course you think the bus multiplier related switch from 2.33 GHz to 2.4 GHz is something you'll notice. What you will notice if you're doing heavy crunching is the faster FSB.
Agreed, but those FSB/RAM changes will make for significant performancce improvement for certain apps.

A faster GPU is possible but considering what is available right now and the thermal limits of the MBP design nothing stellar's to be expected.
I don't know about that. My 17" C2D MBP with 3 GB RAM is the coolest laptop I have had in a while. It seems that there is room for more heat, at least in the 17". I have two 15" C2Ds in my stable that others use and they seem pretty cool also as compared to the Wall Street, TiBooks and to my PB G4.

Dual hard drives, dual GPUs, and longer battery life are definitely not going to happen.
LED displays are not far off, and one of the consequences supposedly will be longer battery life.

-Allen Wicks

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2007, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
I don't know about that. My 17" C2D MBP with 3 GB RAM is the coolest laptop I have had in a while. It seems that there is room for more heat, at least in the 17". I have two 15" C2Ds in my stable that others use and they seem pretty cool also as compared to the Wall Street, TiBooks and to my PB G4.
Yeah yeah I know the temps of my MBPs too, but that's not really the point. The point is that Apple had to underclock the X1600 to reach the current temp level and so it hardly makes sense to use a more expensive and higher TDP GPU if the current thermal design can't even run the less expensive X1600 at its nominal clock.

What would be needed is a better performing GPU with a lower TDP. And such a thing simply doesn't exist right now. So if we want to keep the low temps we'll not get better GPU performance and if we get better GPU performance we'll likely get hotter books. After all the flak Apple took for the rev A heat, I'm doubting they'll chose the latter. That's not saying there won't be any improvement at all but it will likely not be very significant. The current GPU choice just doesn't leave a lot of room.

LED displays are not far off, and one of the consequences supposedly will be longer battery life.
We'd be very lucky if LED displays can make up for the increased power draw of the new components. Running at full blast SR will draw more power than Napa. When idle SR will be superior to Napa because it can drop the FSB speed to 400 MHz ("Dynamic Front Side Bus Switching") and save power. But when you're actually doing work SR will have a higher draw than Napa. If LED displays then give us 5 minutes more battery life than the current MBPs, yippee.

Santa Rosa is a good thing. And Intel's got a lot of good stuff in the pipeline but I get the impression some people here are setting themselves up for a disappointment if they expect the MBP to experience stellar changes this month. In everyday use the step from Napa to SR will be comparable to the step from CD to C2D. It won't be anything like the G4->CD transition.

darkmatter
Forum Regular
May 6, 2007, 06:34 AM

Hello, I'm one of those disappointed ones. From the point of view of HW design it is difficult for me to understand why Apple went so CPU speed centric on the mobile computer sector. Maybe the explanation is related to money, selling more and the market.

Why they don't under-clock the main CPU at the cost of better temperature and energy consumption? additionally they could offer the best GPU at full speed and maybe with more dedicated memory.

Opposite to the market tendencies I don't use my mobile computers as a desktop computer, or even less to crunch numbers for long periods of time, or even less to reproduce media or play games.

My mobile computer needs are to show and manipulate on presentations huge amounts of graphical and visualization data, on this days it is desirable to be connected everywhere where one goes (3G) and not to worry about battery power or carrying extra components to add more weight.

I can be wrong but I think the tendency of Apple professional mobile computers has equaled all other manufactures, MBPs have become average, one can even run Windows on them and other manufactures offer also and even better mobile flexibility and experience. Maybe WinCE iPhone support is on the horizon.

Even car manufactures offer after some years some kind of fresh design face lift to their customers....

And about Santa Rosa, Santa Claus and CPU frequency, it could be interesting to know how many iPod customers know about or care about the FSB and CPU or frequency of their mobile players.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2007, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by darkmatter View Post
Why they don't under-clock the main CPU at the cost of better temperature and energy consumption?
Intel's CPUs automatically change the clock rate, number of cores, and cache when there is low demand for CPU usage.
To get a worthwhile change in peak power consumption, you really need to reduce the clockrate a lot. With the X1600 in the MBP, they were initially going from 4xx Mhz to 2xx Mhz. Not many customers are going to buy a 1Ghz laptop.

Forum Links
Forum Rules